[REMOVE ADS]

Page 65 of 77 FirstFirst ... 15 55 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 75 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,250 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Polaroid instamatic, Tide and Clorox, Arm & Hammer baking soda, Ivory soap, Ipanema Tooth paste, Hai Karate, Raleigh cigarettes, Strongheart dog food, Old Dutch Pretzel sticks, Double Bubble gum, Bazooka bubble gum, Burger Chef, Hardees, Sealtest Ice Cream, Peyton Place ........

Car phones that were the size of a load of bread, CB radios, 8-tracks, rooftop TV antennas, white wall tires, regular gas, car hop service at restaurants, paying a dime at the swimming pool, calling "shotgun", spending all day with your friends in the Summer, sneaking home after spending all day with your friends in the Summer, ripping the cellophane from the record that you just purchased and broke several laws flying home to hear, your excitement when you heard something great on that record before anybody you knew was aware that it existed, listening to the mix tape for the first time that it took you four hours to make, busting out of church on Sunday afternoon feeling like you just got paroled...
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 08-07-2019 at 11:48 AM.

Hopscotch, marbles, Jacks, dart boards [[metal tip darts!), Operation, Stratego, Uno, sandlot football, playing H.O.R.S.E. or 21, cops & robbers, cowboys & indians, stickball, handball.

Tv -
    Welcome Back Kotter, Gomer Pyle USMC, My Three Sons, Family Affair, Mayberry RFD, F -Troop.

Howard Johnson's, Holiday Inn, Coney Island, Palisades Park, Jones Beach, Circle Line, walking up the circular stairs in the Statue of Liberty, Twin Towers [[WTC) Observation Deck, playing in the water from an open water hydrant in Summer, napping on the fire escape.

More TV:
    CBS' Saturday night lineup: All In The Family, The Jeffersons, Mary Tyler Moore Show, Bob Newhart Show, Carol Burnett Show. Greatest night in TV history. And for a while, MASH was in there as well.

NBC's Thursday night lineup: Cosby Show, Family Ties, Cheers, Night Court, Hill Street Blues. Second greatest night in TV history.

Other personal notables:
    Greatest comedy of all time: Sanford & Son
    Greatest science fiction show: Twilight Zone [[followed by X-Files and Lost)
    Greatest drama of all time: Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere
    First crush: Denise Nicholas and Karen Valentine [[Room 222)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Car phones that were the size of a load of bread, CB radios, 8-tracks, rooftop TV antennas, white wall tires, regular gas, car hop service at restaurants, paying a dime at the swimming pool, calling "shotgun", spending all day with your friends in the Summer, sneaking home after spending all day with your friends in the Summer, ripping the cellophane from the record that you just purchased and broke several laws flying home to hear, your excitement when you heard something great on that record before anybody you knew was aware that it existed, listening to the mix tape for the first time that it took you four hours to make, busting out of church on Sunday afternoon feeling like you just got paroled...
    I got my first "mobile phone" in 1994. Big as shoe! I got my first "car phone" in 1995 in Boston. It took up the whole front seat console between seats. They gave me a mic attached to the sun visor so that I could drive and talk hands free. 8 Tracks always sucked! I miss seeing the rooftop TV antennas. Where did they all go? Who went up on all the houses and took them down?

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Howard Johnson's, Holiday Inn, Coney Island, Palisades Park, Jones Beach, Circle Line, walking up the circular stairs in the Statue of Liberty, Twin Towers [[WTC) Observation Deck, playing in the water from an open water hydrant in Summer, napping on the fire escape.
    Cedar Point! Bob- Lo Island, Kings Island, Sea Word, Geauga Lake, Ellich Gardens. I've been to the top or the crown of the Statue of Liberty. Had my birthday party in the public gardens at the Twin Towers in 1998.

More TV:
    CBS' Saturday night lineup: All In The Family, The Jeffersons, Mary Tyler Moore Show, Bob Newhart Show, Carol Burnett Show. Greatest night in TV history. And for a while, MASH was in there as well.

NBC's Thursday night lineup: Cosby Show, Family Ties, Cheers, Night Court, Hill Street Blues. Second greatest night in TV history.

Other personal notables:
    Greatest comedy of all time: Sanford & Son
    Greatest science fiction show: Twilight Zone [[followed by X-Files and Lost)
    Greatest drama of all time: Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere
    First crush: Denise Nicholas and Karen Valentine [[Room 222)
    Friday Night line up in the Fall of 1969:

Brady Bunch, Partridge Family, Room 222, Courtship of Eddie's Father, Love American Style. This change up some but these were the core shows I enjoyed.
    Last edited by marv2; 08-07-2019 at 10:28 PM.

I bought the DVD set of Room 222. Later on in the 70s, one of my favorite shows was "James at 15, then James at 16". Great underrated show.

Seriously, you have to be my brother from another mother, marv. I was going to list that lineup but then I saw Sanford & Son ran against the Brady Bunch a couple years later and couldn't write anything that might indicate I wasn't Fred Sanford's #1 homeboy. But we watched those shows on ABC religiously as little kids.

Also, Lincoln Hayes was one of our biggest role models on The Mod Squad. I still get excited when I see Clarence Williams III on something. And is it me, or did Peggy Lipton get prettier the older she grew? How did Q mess that up?

I have the Sanford & Son box set. Love it. Also have the That's My Mama complete DVDs. Need to dust them off, plug in my DVD player and watch them soon. I wish I could find Frank's Place [[also a very underrated show) and Baby, I'm Back.

Seriously, you have to be my brother from another mother, marv. I was going to list that lineup but then I saw Sanford & Son ran against the Brady Bunch a couple years later and couldn't write anything that might indicate I wasn't Fred Sanford's #1 homeboy. But we watched those shows on ABC religiously as little kids.

Also, Lincoln Hayes was one of our biggest role models on The Mod Squad. I still get excited when I see Clarence Williams III on something. And is it me, or did Peggy Lipton get prettier the older she grew? How did Q mess that up?
    Peggy Lipton was hot, hands down! She didn't even have to strip on the show to keep your attention. She was just mad, cool sexy to me. We all use to say "Linc Hayyeeess.....! LOL!

I have the Sanford & Son box set. Love it. Also have the That's My Mama complete DVDs. Need to dust them off, plug in my DVD player and watch them soon. I wish I could find Frank's Place [[also a very underrated show) and Baby, I'm Back.
    I really liked "Baby I'm Back" and of course "What's Happening", along with Welcome Back Kotter" and "Barney Miller".

Frank's Place was criminally underrated. CBS played around with its time slot and made it hard to find. Two seasons of the most African-American television that ever aired. Loved this show to death and haven't seen anything like it before or since.

Frank's Place was criminally underrated. CBS played around with its time slot and made it hard to find. Two seasons of the most African-American television that ever aired. Loved this show to death and haven't seen anything like it before or since.
    That was one of the better shows in the 80's. That and "Crime Story".

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I bought the DVD set of Room 222. Later on in the 70s, one of my favorite shows was "James at 15, then James at 16". Great underrated show.
    I thought I dreamt the James dramas! Thanks for reassuring me. Seared in my memory banks! The kid who played James was a young actor with alot of range, I remember.

Jer, I feel the same about CWIII! Case in point: Check out his toooo brief role in The Butler. And YES! Peggy Lipton did bring the pretty since Mod Squad. At the time, that's what hooked me on the show! Well, you know Q is like 300 yrs. old. So I wasn't surprised by the break up. Remember the rambling monologue he gave on MJ & the music industry a few years ago?

I really liked "Baby I'm Back" and of course "What's Happening", along with Welcome Back Kotter" and "Barney Miller".
    And the spin-off of Barney, Fish [[Abe Vigoda).

Yep! I think that was Todd Bridges first role. Do you remember the fat kid that played on that show? He was hilarious.

Fish was too funny. Both the show and the character. Abe Vigoda was born to play fish like Carroll O'Connor was born to play Archie Bunker and Sherman Helmsley was the perfect George Jefferson. ABC did not give the show the chance it deserved to catch on.

I thought I dreamt the James dramas! Thanks for reassuring me. Seared in my memory banks! The kid who played James was a young actor with alot of range, I remember.
    That was Lance Kerwin. I think I really related to that show and to him because he was the exact same age as I was. I was also in high school at that time. I watched it every week. Lance also starred in "Salem's Lot" one of the scariest made for TV movies ever.

"James" [[Lance Kerwin) is not 15 anymore! LOL!

Name:  Lance Kerwin now.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  19.7 KB

Watched this every week:

Last edited by marv2; 08-08-2019 at 09:16 PM.

Great memories here.....

Meeting a new girl while cruising on your bike,and thinking about her all day.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Meeting a new girl while cruising on your bike,and thinking about her all day.
    Then going riding bikes with her across town where she lives. Buying her an ice cream, asking her if she likes you, cause you like her.........

Yep,and discovering that after you bought all that ice cream,not only were you not getting a kiss but at least three other dudes on bikes were buying her ice cream too...them chicks were players.

Yep,and discovering that after you bought all that ice cream,not only were you not getting a kiss but at least three other dudes on bikes were buying her ice cream too...them chicks were players.
    You got that right!

That's why i traded in my bike for a caddy,and after that...the chicks bought me ice cream!!

Remember just sitting by yourself in the backyard,and thinking-it doesn't get any better than this.

Remember just sitting by yourself in the backyard,and thinking-it doesn't get any better than this.
    I remember dragging a TV on the porch, ordering a pizza and watching the Final Four all by myself on a beautiful early '80s Spring day. If I had to count 10 perfect moments in my life, that would count as one.

That's what i'm talking about jerry,i used to get some comics,go sit on the front porch in the summer on a sunday and it would be so quiet like i was the only one on the whole block!!

Mine would be sitting in the backyard on a summer's evening with either my Dad or Grandad listening to Ernie Harwell calling a Tigers game.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  21.1 KB
    You mean the first morning after you just bought your first free-standing house?

Another great moment was when I attended Columbus' riverfront jazz festival in its early days in the '80s. Three days with 500-600 jazz lovers just listening to good music while enjoying the breeze and watching Seagulls sail around on the breeze like they liked the music too. This went on for a few years until it became the Jazz & Ribfest. Now, instead of jazz fans listening to music in a little outdoor amphitheater, it's a crowd of 150,000 rib fans, some of which take time to watch music on four stages as they're dropping literally tons of trash in their wake. Parking costs a knot and you're lucky to find a spot within mile of the site if you get there early. The acts are bigger, the lineups are much more intriguing but I refuse to go.

Another great moment was when I attended Columbus' riverfront jazz festival in its early days in the '80s. Three days with 500-600 jazz lovers just listening to good music while enjoying the breeze and watching Seagulls sail around on the breeze like they liked the music too. This went on for a few years until it became the Jazz & Ribfest. Now, instead of jazz fans listening to music in a little outdoor amphitheater, it's a crowd of 150,000 rib fans, some of which take time to watch music on four stages as they're dropping literally tons of trash in their wake. Parking costs a knot and you're lucky to find a spot within mile of the site if you get there early. The acts are bigger, the lineups are much more intriguing but I refuse to go.
    Jerry my brother Matt is throwing a huge End of Summer party at Moments Grill and Lounge in Columbus on Aug. 31st.

https://route66hotrodhigh.com/AirCondition.html

Early car air-conditioners. Never saw one these. I remember being on vacation in
    Florida in July as a kid... in a station wagon. It must have been 110 degrees in the car.
    The only air-conditioner we had was a rolled down window!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  21.1 KB
    you mean the first morning after you just bought your first free-standing house?
    maybe not the first morning,but many mornings after when it was so quiet you could hear crickets whispering!

Jerry my brother Matt is throwing a huge End of Summer party at Moments Grill and Lounge in Columbus on Aug. 31st.
    Wow! I could walk there in five minutes from where I live. That place is always packed. I mean, sometimes I can't imagine how it's possible to get people from all of those cars into the bar. Let me see if my stick in the mud is interested in going.

Wow! I could walk there in five minutes from where I live. That place is always packed. I mean, sometimes I can't imagine how it's possible to get people from all of those cars into the bar. Let me see if my stick in the mud is interested in going.
    I will get you all the information. I know they are planning to have live Reggae bands and lots of Jamaican food.

With the new Dolemite movie coming out, it made me remember another "film" that was popular at drive-ins at the time. Does anyone remember "Fritz the Cat"?

When I was about 8 or 9, we used to play a game called "Tennis, Elbow, Foot", where somebody said a word and the next persons in turn had to quickly say a word that was related or that rhymed. Repetition of a previous word or too slow a reply would get you knocked out. Did anyone else play that?

Maybe that's why I enjoy the Word Association thread so much.

We didn't play that one. We had other ways of hurting each other for fun. Boys are weird.

A buddy of mind lost sight in one of his eyes playing with a bullet..ahh the good ol days!!

The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. Remember when Jason Pierre-Paul blew half of his hand off while messing with fireworks a few years ago? We never learn.

A buddy of mind lost sight in one of his eyes playing with a bullet..ahh the good ol days!!
    Heck, one of guys I grew up with, his nephew accidentally shot himself to death yesterday!

Jerry that party I was telling you about that my brother is throwing is at Moments Grill and Lounge , 2545 Petzinger Rd, Columbus. It starts at 2 pm - 8pm on Aug. 31. Music by DJ King

Thanks, Marv. A family emergency [[literally) just popped up and Saturday might be spent focusing on it. But Moments is between me and the intersection so I'll definitely see if it's going strong it I make it home before 8:00.

Thanks, Marv. A family emergency [[literally) just popped up and Saturday might be spent focusing on it. But Moments is between me and the intersection so I'll definitely see if it's going strong it I make it home before 8:00.
    You're welcome Jerry. I hope everything is ok with your Fam. Btw, the cover for the party is $ 5. You can't even breathe air in NYC for 5 bucks! LOL!

Yeah, that's nothing. It blew my mind recently when the city opened public swimming pools for free during the heat wave. They said the normal fee was $1. Man, I never paid more than a dime to swim in a public pool and I was dumb enough to think it still cost that much.