[REMOVE ADS]

Page 9 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 19 59 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I count the other networks for allowing them to make blatantly untrue proclamations without fact checking them. Every time a cop is killed, some sheriff pops up and says that Black Lives Matter has declared a war against them, knowing full well that we're on a years long downtrend of violence vs. police. This information is available, but by giving them a pulpit without vetting the lie, they are culpable [[in my opinion). Faux News takes it further by bringing on apologists and blatant propagandists, but mainstream media in general is unsympathetic to the cause.
    They are doing their job reporting what the Sheriffs say.

Who could forget 'caramel coated peanuts, popcorn, and a prize. That's what you get with Cracker Jack.'
    That jingle goes: "'caramel coated popcorn, peanuts, and a prize".

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  21.1 KB
    I wasn't a gum chewer, but I bought a lot of it [[in packs of Hockey and baseball cards). It was that tasteless pink stuff, with lots of white powder over i. I wonder if that was the way they could smuggle cocaine into the country?

You know the cancer stick...er...cigarette companies loved these.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    I wasn't a gum chewer, but I bought a lot of it [[in packs of Hockey and baseball cards). It was that tasteless pink stuff, with lots of white powder over i. I wonder if that was the way they could smuggle cocaine into the country?
    I don't know if that's how they brought coke in, but I always thought the gum was just something extra. I bought it for the baseball cards.

I hated[pf flyers]although keds were basically the same shoe[u.s.keds]i didn't get my first pair of[chucks]til jr.high..my parents would've had my head examined if i had asked em for a pair of[eight dollar]tennis shoes.

That gum was always stale and broke in your mouth before it became soft enough to chew. But I always chewed it. A quarter or a quarter and I'm gonna get my money's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I hated[pf flyers]although keds were basically the same shoe[u.s.keds]i didn't get my first pair of[chucks]til jr.high..my parents would've had my head examined if i had asked em for a pair of[eight dollar]tennis shoes.

I remember Keds and Pro Keds. The shoe of choice when I was in high school were the white high top Chucks. I can't remember what they cost in the 70s.

That gum was always stale and broke in your mouth before it became soft enough to chew. But I always chewed it. A quarter or a quarter and I'm gonna get my money's worth.
Views: 463
    I only bought them for the cards. I was never a gum chewer. But, when I bought cards they were only a nickle a pack. We'd get doubles and swap them. We'd flip cards [[gambling) to win more cards. There were always individual player's cards that were more difficult to find [[rarer). In baseball, it was often Ted Williams and Stan Musial, and Bob Feller. In hockey, it was Rocket Richard, Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion, and Red Kelly. Later, it was Bobby Hull and Jacques Plante.
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-12-2015 at 10:37 PM.

Ok, how about question? What was your favorite soft drink, soda, pop, non-alcoholic [[Ok JAI LOL!) beverage that you loved as a kid, but it is no longer either on the market or popular?

Ice cold Orange Crush in the old glass bottles.

Good one! Darn, that picture makes me thirsty LOL!

For me it was Variety Club soda. It was a local product to Toledo, OH. They made a variety of flavors. Strawberry was my favorite. We could get a dime back from the bottle deposit in those days:

Attachment 10280

Those aren't the bottles they had back in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Here's how the bottle looked when I was a kid. This is more from the 60s

Attachment 10289

I know but it's what I could find on Google. The bottles from the old days were 16 ounce bottles.

There was a drink called[sunny boy]from way back, how about[fizzies]and do they still make[rc cola]?

Speaking of regional drinks, when we traveled to Virginia we always picked up Nehi in various flavors. By the way, it's "pop" in Ohio and "soda" in Virginia. What is it where you all are?

Soda in these parts.

There was a drink called[sunny boy]from way back, how about[fizzies]and do they still make[rc cola]?
    They still make RC Cola , but it's in the can. If any of you want to taste the 2nd best Ginger Ale in the World [[Vernor's is the first~!) check out Bruce Cost's REAL Ginger Ale. It is sold in select cities. Jerry they sell it in Columbus at World Market I believe.

I remember Nehi.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They still make RC Cola , but it's in the can.
    They sell it in the 2 liter bottles here as well as cans. Always have.

Vernors doesn't sell very well around here.

I never cared for Nehi or Crush. Too sweet.

I liked the original Welch's grape and orange soda they sold back in the late 70s. It wasn't syrupy or too sweet. Sprite had a unique flavor and was delightfully fizzy in the 70s. now it's just a knock off of the old 7-Up formula. Sierra Mist used to be called Teem.
    Last edited by soulster; 10-13-2015 at 04:57 PM.

Remember when[safeway]sold toys?

They sell it in the 2 liter bottles here as well as cans. Always have.

Vernors doesn't sell very well around here.

I never cared for Nehi or Crush. Too sweet.

I liked the original Welch's grape and orange soda they sold back in the late 70s. It wasn't syrupy or too sweet. Sprite had a unique flavor and was delightfully fizzy in the 70s. now it's just a knock off of the old 7-Up formula. Sierra Mist used to be called Teem.

I can't Vernors in New York. I only can when I am home in Ohio and Michigan.

Yeah, wayyyy back! I first went into a Safeway while living in Colorado. They do not have them in NY or Ohio

Remember when[made in japan]meant-cheap-cheap-cheap?

Views: 429
    Nehi was national in USA. We had it all over The Midwest, and I also saw it in California, Oregon and Washington. Peach was a rare treat. Maybe that was just seasonal? [[it was rare in Chicago. Their grape soda was excellent, So was Cherry Soda. They also had a great Creme Soda, and so did Nesbitts. Dad's Root Beer was so very good [[on tap). But, it was so good that it was even excellent in bottles. Hires Root Beer was good, too.

We had a great chocolate drink in The Netherlands, called Chocomel. Often, they gave away a fee Disney Comic book with a 6-pack, and sometimes if you mailed in 6 bottle caps.

I remember eating at the lunch counter at Woolworths downtown. But that also brings up bad memories of those brothers who had to protest for the same privilege at a counter in South Carolina.

Views: 431
    Of Course, in Canada, Canada Dry dominated the bottled soft drink market during the 1940s and 1950s. Originally, there was a big beaver across the shield.

Here are some of the different flavours they had:

• Bitter Lemon Lemon Soda
    • Tahitian Treat Tutti [[cherry and fruit punch),
    • Golden Cockerel Ginger Beer
    • Cranberry Ginger Ale
    • Lemon Ginger Ale
    • Purple Passion
    • Lemon-Lime Soda
    • Vanilla Cream Soda
    • Cocoa Cream Soda
    • Black Cherry Soda
    • Wild Cherry Soda
    • Jamaica Cola
    • Rooti Root Beer
    • Barrelhead Root Beer
    • Wink
    • Pink Wink
    • Hi-Grape
    • Concord Grape Soda
    • Sunripe Orange Soda
    • Mandrin Orange Soda
    • Grapefruit Soda

Views: 431
    Of Course, in Canada, Canada Dry dominated the bottled soft drink market during the 1940s and 1950s. Originally, there was a big beaver across the shield.

Here are some of the different flavours they had:

• Bitter Lemon Lemon Soda
    • Tahitian Treat Tutti [[cherry and fruit punch),
    • Golden Cockerel Ginger Beer
    • Cranberry Ginger Ale
    • Lemon Ginger Ale
    • Purple Passion
    • Lemon-Lime Soda
    • Vanilla Cream Soda
    • Cocoa Cream Soda
    • Black Cherry Soda
    • Wild Cherry Soda
    • Jamaica Cola
    • Rooti Root Beer
    • Barrelhead Root Beer
    • Wink
    • Pink Wink
    • Hi-Grape
    • Concord Grape Soda
    • Sunripe Orange Soda
    • Mandrin Orange Soda
    • Grapefruit Soda

The Cranberry - Ginger Ale sounds GOOD!
    I remember Wink, it was a citrus flavored drink along the lines of Squirt.
    I still drink Tahitian Treat Fruit punch [[even though I'm not suppose to. LOL) it is great tasting stuff!

My brother was hooked on Tahitian Treat from his teen years. If he has a cookout or hosts a fight, you can bet there will be a two-liter of it there to wash down the food.

Views: 429
    Nehi was national in USA. We had it all over The Midwest, and I also saw it in California, Oregon and Washington. Peach was a rare treat. Maybe that was just seasonal? [[it was rare in Chicago. Their grape soda was excellent, So was Cherry Soda. They also had a great Creme Soda, and so did Nesbitts. Dad's Root Beer was so very good [[on tap). But, it was so good that it was even excellent in bottles. Hires Root Beer was good, too.

We had a great chocolate drink in The Netherlands, called Chocomel. Often, they gave away a fee Disney Comic book with a 6-pack, and sometimes if you mailed in 6 bottle caps.
    Chocomel is somewhere beyond great. It remains one of my favorite memories of The Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by MotownSteve View Post
    Chocomel is somewhere beyond great. It remains one of my favorite memories of The Netherlands.
    I wonder if that is anything like the milk based soda we had here. I can't remember name at the moment but it came in chocolate and strawberry.

Dad's Root Beer was another one I loved. Also loved Hire's Root Beer.

Quote Originally Posted by MotownSteve View Post
Views: 471
    When were you in The Netherlands? Were you a tourist, or did you work there? Where did you spend time there?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I wonder if that is anything like the milk based soda we had here. I can't remember name at the moment but it came in chocolate and strawberry.

Dad's Root Beer was another one I loved. Also loved Hire's Root Beer.
    That was probably Yoo Hoo. I'll never forget opening a warehouse in West Memphis, Arkansas when we had to rely on temp labor until we could fill our employee roster. The temp service apparently used a bunch of ex-cons to fill the positions and we had more than a few problems. One morning, I reported to work and found a shank that somebody made [[apparently because it was sharper than his company-supplied box knife) on the floor of one of my picking modules. Another morning we arrived and found that some of them had a party and busted out a few boxes of our supplies instead of loading them on a shipping trailer. We had empty bottles of Yoo Hoo and candy wrappers all over the floor of the trailer.

That's it Jerry you got it! Some of my buddies that grew up in Brooklyn loved that stuff! LOL!

Remember when grocery stores sold records and tapes?

I remember eating at the lunch counter at Woolworths downtown. But that also brings up bad memories of those brothers who had to protest for the same privilege at a counter in South Carolina.
    I never knew of those things in the 60s. We always ate at the Woolworth's cafes and RX soda counters with no issues. Holiday Inn, too.

My brother was hooked on Tahitian Treat from his teen years. If he has a cookout or hosts a fight, you can bet there will be a two-liter of it there to wash down the food.
    Oh, I do remember that one! Tatitan Treat was my favorite,

I loved the 4th of July. We would always buy cases of Canada Dry and Shasta sodas and put them on ice in huge ice chests. Barbeque chicken and hot dogs, and stay up all night watching Twilight Zone marathons. When we were in Kansas, we'd shoot firecrackers in the back yard and at cars driving down the street. I would love to revisit those days somehow.

I used to love Shasta Grape soda. That stuff burned in the way down [[in a good way). We used to stay up late in Friday nights to watch "Chiller Theater", a local late night creature feature. Those old vampire and werewolf flicks are corny now but they scared the mess out of elementary school kids. LOL. I don't know how old I was when I stopped falling asleep before the end of the movie.

Does anybody recall driving on the interstate with your family when the only food stops on the way were Howard Johnson restaurants? Those hamburgers were wrapped in foil and were probably cooked hours before but left out all day. They were nasty but the only thing to eat.

I used to love Shasta Grape soda. That stuff burned in the way down [[in a good way). We used to stay up late in Friday nights to watch "Chiller Theater", a local late night creature feature. Those old vampire and werewolf flicks are corny now but they scared the mess out of elementary school kids. LOL. I don't know how old I was when I stopped falling asleep before the end of the movie.

Does anybody recall driving on the interstate with your family when the only food stops on the way were Howard Johnson restaurants? Those hamburgers were wrapped in foil and were probably cooked hours before but left out all day. They were nasty but the only thing to eat.
    Shasta? You guys are killing me! LOL!

Yeah I remember the Hojos,but they weren't the only ones. If you travel South, there were "Stuckeys". They had the big yellow billboards.

Hardee's also wrapped their burgers in foil. The all time worst burgers in my opinion were Roy Rogers up and down the New York State Thru-way and along the Penn Turnpike.....yuk!

The best "have it your way" hamburgers were "Harveys" in Canada.

Did anyone have[toddlehouse]hamburger joints in your town? Twenty five cents and good too.

Did anyone have[toddlehouse]hamburger joints in your town? Twenty five cents and good too.
    No we didn't have Toddlehouse hamburgers. We did have Kewpee's [[with the big baby in nothing but a diaper LOL!), Super King [[aka Uncle Sam's. They made the special Super King burger that was the size of a large pizza and could serve 5 people!). Also the neighborhood favorite called "Li'l Hut" on Detroit Ave.

Remember the[deluxe playmobile]?

No, but I remember when Big Wheels first came out. I never understood the appeal, so I never asked for one. One of the best Christmas present I remember was an air hockey table that my brother and I received one year. You rarely see air hockey anywhere but game arcades these days.

I remember them. I vaguely remember easting there with my parents. That is about all I can remember. Not even where they were.

Back to burgers. I remember a Gino's in either Jersey City or Bayonne NJ and I thought the burgers were pretty good.

Wendy's was founded in my hometown and they were delicious when they first came out. We used to have Burger Boy here with carhops. Those were good as well. They were big, too. I was too young to eat one by myself.