[REMOVE ADS]

Page 7 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Yep,9:00 on weeknights and we could stay up on friday and saturday,we used to have a latenight horror show called[shock]which ran on cbs on saturday nights at 1am..count[gore devall]came much later.
    Our main horror show in Detroit came on Saturday afternoons on WJBK channel 2 called "Sir Graves Ghastly". Showed all the classic horror flicks and his own in studio skits etc. It ran from the late 60s to about the early 80s.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa,yep i remember sir graves,that show was a hoot.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa,yep i remember sir graves,that show was a hoot.
    JAI, you do! Wow! I didn't know you guys saw it anywhere else in the country. When he use to play Tillie I use to cry laughing. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Robb! We use to get Canadian television living so close to the border. What was the name of that Barn dance like show that came on every weekend?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  21.1 KB
    Was it "Country Hoedown" on CBC? That show ran from the mid '50s through the mid '60s. It was hosted by Gordie Tapp. He did corny comedy sketches on that show like he did in the '70s on US "Hee Haw".

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 1179
    Was it "Country Hoedown" on CBC? That show ran from the mid '50s through the mid '60s. It was hosted by Gordie Tapp. He did corny comedy sketches on that show like he did in the '70s on US "Hee Haw".
    That's it! That's the one LOL! I knew you would know if anyone would. Thanks Robb.

I also grew up watching "Mr. Dressup" and "The Friendly Giant" on Canadian TV .

The Tommy Hunter Show , eh? LOL!

Remember when you would almost never see a movie star on tv[it was considered career suicide]now it's the opposite.

Remember when you would almost never see a movie star on tv[it was considered career suicide]now it's the opposite.
    Remember when a new major film came out, it was ORIGINAL!!! There movies now made from old tv shows and comic book characters.

Because there are few fresh ideas,most of this[new]stuff is as stale as the food on greasy grady's menu.

Because there are few fresh ideas,most of this[new]stuff is as stale as the food on greasy grady's menu.
    Grady's! Stop it! LOL!!!!

Remember when one of the kids would have ringworms and have to wear a stocking cap? And get teased unless it was the school bully in which case we would just look the other way.

Yeah. Stage actors and movie stars thought it was beneath them to be on TV. But, even today, once TV actors get into movies, they seem to shun television, unless it's an awards show, of course!

By the time of the 70s, almost all you saw on TV variety shows, aside from Peter Lawford and washed-up comedians.

Remember when a new major film came out, it was ORIGINAL!!! There movies now made from old tv shows and comic book characters.
    Or, they just recycle old movies. It's probably not that there isn't creativity in Hollyweird, the studios just don't want to take risks. So, what do we get? Endless remakes and recycled ideas and super heroes from toys and comic books.

Remember when one of the kids would have ringworms and have to wear a stocking cap?
    Uh...no. never even heard of ringworm until adulthood.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Or, they just recycle old movies. It's probably not that there isn't creativity in Hollyweird, the studios just don't want to take risks. So, what do we get? Endless remakes and recycled ideas and super heroes from toys and comic books.
    That's why most of the movies I watch on NetFlix are from Korea or China. People have no idea how good many Asian films are.

Uh...no. never even heard of ringworm until adulthood.
    I didn't either. I remember kids in elementary school who had impetigo or tetters, but not ringworm.

Legend was that you would get it from wearing someone elses hat.

or using their comb or brush. I remember seeing it on kids heads......gross!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Remember when we could laugh with each other because of our differences instead of at each other? Archie Bunker was so disrespectful but ultimately, the joke was on him, so it wasn't really offensive. Same with Fred Sanford and George Jefferson. The best way to handle bigotry is to laugh at it. Now, if somebody says that stuff, it's immediately shot down as being too racist to laugh at.

Can you imagine Mel Brooks making 'Blazing Saddles' in 2015?
    you couldnt make that movie today, every pc group would come out in droves to protest it.

Kids didn't wear hats or caps in my elementary school, and if they wore beanies, they sure didn't wear each other's. We kids just didn't get those kinds of things. We seriously never even heard of them.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    you couldnt make that movie today, every pc group would come out in droves to protest it.
    For real! Yet, South Park routinely takes jabs at the right-wing all the time and they only get mild complaints, probably because it's a cartoon. If it were live, they would certainly get protested and boycotted. but, would it matter? TLC is bringing back The Duggars, and they are still showing Duck Dynasty.

Back in the mid-90s, CBS had a sitcom starring Sherman Hemsley that lasted for about three episodes. He played a modern-day Black Archie Bunker who was understated, but worse than his old george Jefferson character. The show wasn't protested, there was just no interest in that type of character by that time.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    That's too bad because it is the funniest movie that I've seen. With that being said, Fox's 'Family Guy' and 'American Dad' go at least as far as 'Blazing Saddles' with being offensive and intentionally politically incorrect. They don't have the vulgarity of the movie, but they also push boundaries that most aren't aware of because they don't watch cartoons.

That's too bad because it is the funniest movie that I've seen. With that being said, Fox's 'Family Guy' and 'American Dad' go at least as far as 'Blazing Saddles' with being offensive and intentionally politically incorrect. They don't have the vulgarity of the movie, but they also push boundaries that most aren't aware of because they don't watch cartoons.
    that is exactly right. It started with the Simpsons.

The Tommy Hunter Show , eh? LOL!
Views: 1109
    I see that you like Country music. I HATE [[commercial) country music [[non-country folk or Blue Grass music); which is one reason why I didn't stay in Canada with my uncle and aunt, to continue my hockey career, when my parents moved to Chicago during my first year of Juniors.

Views: 1081
    You must be a fair amount younger than I.

Views: 1109
    I see that you like Country music. I HATE [[commercial) country music [[non-country folk or Blue Grass music); which is one reason why I didn't stay in Canada with my uncle and aunt, to continue my hockey career, when my parents moved to Chicago during my first year of Juniors.
    I love Anne Murray and there has been some country music throughout the years that I really liked a lot. Overall I am not a fan of Country,

Views: 1081
    You must be a fair amount younger than I.
    I knew you were going to go there, so I almost refrained from mentioning those. LOL

I love Anne Murray and there has been some country music throughout the years that I really liked a lot. Overall I am not a fan of Country,
    I like a few of her hits, but I am more of a Gordon Lightfoot fan.

Views: 1008
    To me, Anne Murray is more of a Pop singer than a "C&W" singer, and Gordon Lightfoot is a Folk singer more than a "C&W" singer. I can't stand Buck Owens, Merle Haggard and the like. I like some of Johnny Cash and Roy Clark's songs, and not others. I like Flat & Scruggs, The Stanley Brothers and a lot of Blue Grass. But I absolutely hate most of the commercial C&W from the 1960s to now.

Views: 1090
    Did you watch The "Red Green Show"? Over the past 20 years, since my hair started turning gray, I've often been accused of being him [[but I'm a lot taller, and much better-looking!

To me, Anne Murray is more of a Pop singer than a "C&W" singer, and Gordon Lightfoot is a Folk singer more than a "C&W" singer.
    I I agree. In fact, I don't even classify Gordon Lightfoot as anything close to country.

I can't stand Buck Owens, Merle Haggard and the like. I like some of Johnny Cash and Roy Clark's songs, and not others. I like Flat & Scruggs, The Stanley Brothers and a lot of Blue Grass. But I absolutely hate most of the commercial C&W from the 1960s to now.
    I like country up to about the mid-70s when it just got silly, with titles that were three miles long, about drinking, novelty songs, and the like. It was a time when the obnoxious rednecks came out of hiding. I could stand it a little better towards the end of the 70s, the stuff that went pop, but now it's either bad pop for young women, or overwrought patriotic crap. There's even "hick-hop", that means mixing country with rap.

Love Gordon Lightfoot's music big time here! Since we are speaking of Canadian artists, the Guess Who's greatest hits were on CD in my car all the time.

Love Gordon Lightfoot's music big time here! Since we are speaking of Canadian artists, the Guess Who's greatest hits were on CD in my car all the time.
    I like a few of The Guess Who's hits, but was always a more of a fan of Bachman-Turner Overdrive during their big years from 1973-1975. You know Randy Bachman was a member of both.

Country music was a small niche in the late '70s and almost a dormant format as far as Pop was concerned. In my opinion, Kenny and Dolly all but stuck a fork in it with some of the monstrosities they released separately and collaboratively back then. But then, "Urban Cowboy" came out and it wound up being huge. That movie absolutely saved country music by making it hip for city kids to go to country discotheques. I knew a girl who was transformed in the wake of it. She was always a little shy and countryish [[she was a Native American and caught between several worlds), but she got her identity from that story and that soundtrack and she never looked back again.

I like a few of The Guess Who's hits, but was always a more of a fan of Bachman-Turner Overdrive during their big years from 1973-1975. You know Randy Bachman was a member of both.
    Well then you know that The Guess Who gave birth to BTO! LOL! I don't even think they put a lot of thought into what they were doing. They were just kicking out the jams in the seventies and we were rockin' along with them.

Country music was a small niche in the late '70s and almost a dormant format as far as Pop was concerned. In my opinion, Kenny and Dolly all but stuck a fork in it with some of the monstrosities they released separately and collaboratively back then. But then, "Urban Cowboy" came out and it wound up being huge. That movie absolutely saved country music by making it hip for city kids to go to country discotheques. I knew a girl who was transformed in the wake of it. She was always a little shy and countryish [[she was a Native American and caught between several worlds), but she got her identity from that story and that soundtrack and she never looked back again.
    I was in college at the time, in Colorado. I bought me a pair of expensive cowboy boots, put on Eddie Rabbitt and I was happy for that moment in time. LOL! One of my most favorite Country songs......

I am not going to turn this into a Country Music thread but Crystal Gayle's "Don't it Make My Brown Eyes Blue" was an excellent record.

I am not going to turn this into a Country Music thread but Crystal Gayle's "Don't it Make My Brown Eyes Blue" was an excellent record.
    Yes it is! It's one of my all-time favorites!

I like all types of music and tend to favor songs that are true to genre over those that seem to be over produced and created with an eye on crossing over. With that said, I remember taking 10-hour trips from Ohio to Tidewater Virginia and listening to old Patsy Cline and Wiilie Nelson songs [[from before they were bold enough to put drums in the arrangements). Those songs still sound great to me.

Does anybody remember road trips before cars had [[in order) 8-tracks, cassettes, CDs, MP3 players, or satellite radio? You were at the mercy of whatever low watt station your radio managed to pick up for 30 miles or so before you had to search for another one.

I like all types of music and tend to favor songs that are true to genre over those that seem to be over produced and created with an eye on crossing over. With that said, I remember taking 10-hour trips from Ohio to Tidewater Virginia and listening to old Patsy Cline and Wiilie Nelson songs [[from before they were bold enough to put drums in the arrangements). Those songs still sound great to me.

Does anybody remember road trips before cars had [[in order) 8-tracks, cassettes, CDs, MP3 players, or satellite radio? You were at the mercy of whatever low watt station your radio managed to pick up for 30 miles out so before you had to search for another one.
    Yes I remember! Whenever we would travel South, all you heard was Country & Western on the radio for hours sometimes.

How many of you remember when cigarettes had coupons in the pack that could be redeemed for things like fishing rod and reels? LOL! How about the S&H Green stamps your mom would get with every grocery purchase that were put in a book and once you've collected a specific number she would redeem them for all sorts of mundane merchandise, but mostly kitchen appliances?

Attachment 10233

Attachment 10234

Love Gordon Lightfoot's music big time here! Since we are speaking of Canadian artists, The Guess Who's greatest hits were on CD in my car all the time.
Views: 1107
    Ha! Ha! -THEY'RE the reason I left Winnipeg and moved to Chicago!!!

Views: 1107
    Ha! Ha! -THEY'RE the reason I left Winnipeg and moved to Chicago!!!
    Wait! What do you mean? You don't like your homeboy Burton Cummings? HA! That's treason! LOL! He is one of the all time GREATS! Definitely the best that ever came out of Winnipeg. Come on Robb!

Yes I remember! Whenever we would travel South, all you heard was Country & Western on the radio for hours sometimes.
Views: 1045
    That's all we heard driving through Western Canada.

Views: 1045
    That's all we heard driving through Western Canada.
    It drove me up the wall, how about you? When we would get nearer to major cities like say Louisville or Nashville, then we could find a little more variety on the radio.

Wait! What do you mean? You don't like your homeboy Burton Cummings? HA! That's treason! LOL! He is one of the all time GREATS! Definitely the best that ever came out of Winnipeg. Come on Robb!
    I preferred the soulful voice of David Clatyon-Thomas from Blood Sweat & Tears, another Canadian.

I preferred the soulful voice of David Clatyon-Thomas from Blood Sweat & Tears, another Canadian.
    Oh if we are talking about soulful voices, then you have to mention Gino Vannelli

How many of you remember when cigarettes had coupons in the pack that could be redeemed for things like fishing rod and reels? LOL! How about the S&H Green stamps your mom would get with every grocery purchase that were put in a book and once you've collected a specific number she would redeem them for all sorts of mundane merchandise, but mostly kitchen appliances?
    I remember those. I also remember the local version, 'Buckeye Stamps', that were sold at my second place of employment Big Bear Stores in Ohio. I struggled to get to work one day during a near blizzard and was one of only four or five people to show up. I was mad at myself for trying to even get there [[friggin' trooper, that one was back then) until some bearded, vaguely familiar guy came through my line. I rang up a few things for him and offered him his Buckeye stamps and he smiled at me as he gave them to the person in line behind him. 'I won't be needing them', he said laughing before he walked into the wasteland.

When he left, my bagger said 'You know who that was, don't you?'

It was Judd Hirsch from 'Taxi', who was in town filming a movie with Nick Nolte and Ralph Macchio called 'Teachers'. So, for my dedication, I was rewarded with a brush with greatness. LOL.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Jerry that is great story!