[REMOVE ADS]

Motown - Off The Record

Did anyone else buy this huge compendium and do they use it?

Was there ever a Volume 2?

Attachment 9825

Volume 2 was to cover albums/lps. It never was published.
    I own the first volume and used it in the past. Since the Complete Motown Singles Collection was issued, I haven't used it much.
    But it still is a valuable tool for a few acetates and for singles post 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I own the first volume and used it in the past. Since the Complete Motown Singles Collection was issued, I haven't used it much.
    The book is a lot about nothing really. I contributed to it without a credit. Reg Bartlette screwed over so many fans that virtually no one would contribute to the second volume. I'll leave it at that

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I, too, have this book in my collection. I agree that it is not as useful as the Heat Wave by David Bianco, however, I have used this just like this responder has. Reg was heavily involved in both this book as well as Heat Wave. He is really an expert on Motown although he has moved onto other adventures currently.

This book is indispensable to me. One of the legs of my bed is broken, and together with the David Bianco book, it is just the right size to prop it up.

More of a bedtime need than a bedtime read then 144man?

How true, mysterysinger. In fairness, I still refer to them from time to time, so at least I know where they are. I do remember having great fun working out the Producer Codes from the matrix numbers.

However, normally all the information I need is usually contained in "Don't Forget the Motor City".

I think the most remarkable thing about it is [[as the author told me in correspondence) that it was created entirely by typewriter. Not a single computer was used [[let alone harmed) in the creation of this book.

A labour of love then Keith. When I first saw it I thought I had to have it but I've never really made much use of the book - straight label discographies being of more use. Just a personal thing. Whereas I regularly refer to DFTMC as it contains a ton of useful info.

I first heard about this book in after it was mentioned or reviewed in Record Collector magazine in 1995 I think. I managed to get hold of copy the same year, and paid about £50 for it IIRC.

Whilst it has been criticised in the past, I suppose it's worth remembering that it was done well before the internet and email era had taken off and became common place, and not done with any official sources or information, other than the Acetates & 45s themselves, along with data and info that fans had shared and collected amongst themselves over the years.

I find it a very useful reference for the Duplicate Master [[DM) numbers. Whilst there are some mistakes [[a 2 instead of a Z for example), those affected can be easily worked out.

In all, I think it goes well with booklet info on the various reissues, and of course DFTMC.

I'm sure Reg Bartlette is member of this forum, but hasn't posted in while.

Cheers

Paul