Exclamation I'm The Greatest Star! OUTTAKE FROM T.C.B - 1968

I Wish there was a video of this!
    Seemed to be a very good performance...

Thanks for postin' this Wesley Francisco,

Can you find "Mas Que Nada"?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Hi Marv!
    Well... Even though I seek it for all my life, I would never find ... I think you may forgot that I'm just a kid of 14 years old, almost 15 years [[my birthday is tomorrow).

And I have no contacts with anyone who has access to such a rare thing as: Mas Que Nada. I only have this audio because Hip-O released the expanded version of Funny Girl.

But you never know what you may find, I still do not believe that Arrid Extra Dry Advertisement is available! But don't worry, i'm always looking to all these stuff

But tell me more about this, would be nice hear Diana Ross and The Supremes singing in my language! Or do they sang an English version of that song?

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Thanks for postin' this Wesley Francisco,
    You're Welcome!

Thanks for your contribution!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I have a cd that features this that I bought years ago off a collector

Great!! How does it sound?

Although, I love "Greatest Star", I think it would have been all wrong for TCB.

Yes I agree. And a bit odd to say the least to have other two members of group singing such lyrics to a third member of group. Yuk

Hmmm I don't think that would have worked on TCB either !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post
    Motown01, you're a wizard! Greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    I have a cd that features this that I bought years ago off a collector
    How is it? The performance? Is it good?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yes I agree. And a bit odd to say the least to have other two members of group singing such lyrics to a third member of group. Yuk

It was corny as Hell even before we knew about all the dirt going on behind the scenes. LOL

You got that right. You know Miss Flo must have called Mary after she heard that aong! Lol

I think TCB was beautifully produced the way it was. Although, "Greatest Star" would have shown great group interplay it did not fit with "TCB".

I suspect "I'm The Greatest Star" was meant for TCB as a way to promote and sell the Funny Girl album. The album had just been completed the month before at the time TCB was filmed and with the album due the following month in September, it was probably marketed to not only sell the soundtrack but the Funny Girl album as well when the special aired.

I'm rather surprised it wasn't revived for GIT as it would have fit that mold much better.

Hey Brad
    I agree 200% that it would have worked for GIT and the girls would have gotten a little exposure with their comedic ways.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I suspect "I'm The Greatest Star" was meant for TCB as a way to promote and sell the Funny Girl album. The album had just been completed the month before at the time TCB was filmed and with the album due the following month in September, it was probably marketed to not only sell the soundtrack but the Funny Girl album as well when the special aired.

I'm rather surprised it wasn't revived for GIT as it would have fit that mold much better.

By the way despite what others have said about the Mary and Cindy and with them singing to Diana this was a good avenue for people to see more of Mary and Cindy.

M and C are featured quite prominently within the Greatest Star medley. but remember they only had 1 hour of time, including the commercials. i wonder if they decided to go with the Afro Vogue segment. not only would it be a shining spot for Diana, it would be something totally new and different. FG was probably prepared so that they absolutely had enough great material for diana and then could edit and cut as they [[i.e. Berry) pleased so that the show flowed well and Di was always in the spotlight.

i know the groups taped much of their material in Aug. at least the portions in front of the studio audience. the medley of pop material in the pinks, reds and orange outfits was lipsynced and not filmed in front of the audience. greatest star wasn't going to be taped in front of the aud either. whenever they had the full backdrop behind them - the full wall with the starburst design in the middle, they were on a different stage. not sure when those were taped. perhaps in Aug, perhaps shortly thereafter. perhaps a little longer after.

the FG lp was released late august. They did the FG medley on ed sullivan in mid sept. then they did the Bob Hope special in Feb 69 doing My Man, Coronet Man and Sam Pants

Thank you very much for this! I had never hear it before now. They do a great job on it. They sound like the group Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66! Mary Wilson does a solo version of it in her Up Close Jazz concerts today.

Thanks. Sounds great. Can hear Cindy for a change!

"T.C.B." Could hardly be more successful considering it was not only a #1 album and not only the #1 Neilsen rated show for the week, but, for the entire season. But could you imagine if they had today's technology to edit in performances of "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me", "Love Child" and "Cloud Nine"!!!
    I remember the next school day it seemed like the most talked about topic all week.
    .... I never considered adding in a "Funny Girl" vignette, like the one from Ed Sullivan. [[By the way, I wish they would make that a video clip for sale on iTunes since it didn't make either Ed Sullivan compilation). I think it would have been a good fit.
    Don't mean to start a controversial thread, but, for the record, I own nearly all of Striesand's albums including her more obscure Broadway scores. But, I have to say to my ears, the Diana Ross and The Supremes "sing and perform "Funny Girl" album is almost better than the Striesand soundtrack. [[And again, like the scene in "In & Out" with Kevin Kline, I've even seen "Funny Lady" countless times...so I do have some Striesand cred. However, Striesand couldn't have been too happy that Motown did that. It was an odd move that possibly could have done better released a year or so later).

I have not seen the video from I Am The Greatest Star that was suppose to be on TCB but I bet it would have been awesome after hearing the vocals. All three were at the top of their game on this one. This was not just a song it was an actual performance by the girls. This is why we loved the girls.

MARY AND CINDY SINGING IN MY LANGUAGE !!!
    This sounds so great !! I would love to see at least one excerpt of that performance! Although they do not sing in Portuguese perfectly, this performance is PERFECT!
    Makes no sense why this part of the special have been cut !!
    Thank you so much for posting this rarity!! A true birthday gift

"Oooô ariá aiô obá obá obá
    Oooô ooô ooô ariá aiô obá obá obá

Mas que nada
    Sai da minha frente eu quero passar
    Pois o samba está animado
    Que eu quero é sambar
    E esse samba que é misto de maracatu
    É samba de preto velho
    Samba de preto tu
    Mas que nada
    Um samba como esse tão legal
    Você não vai querer que eu chegue no final

Oooô lariá laiô obá obá obá
    Oooô ooô ooô lariá laiô obá obá obá"
    Last edited by Weslley Francisco; 08-30-2015 at 02:19 PM.