[REMOVE ADS]

kiki dee album out january

"i'm kiki dee, the fontana years" is out late january 2011 dusty groove
    no prices or track listing as yet

iconicpuff Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    Oh good! Pauline Matthews is one of Britain's finest and vastly underated as a 60s artist being overshadowed by Dames Dusty, Cilla, Lulu, Shirley and Petula. Although she does appear on many of Dusty's tracks as a backparter along with Madeline Bell and Lesley Duncan [[another sadly under-rated singer). And I love her stage name. I wonder how many folk know where the term 'Kiki' comes from!!!!!

iconicpuff
    no idea,tell me more.all i managed to find out was a song writer,who wrote her 1st single "early night", called mitch murray gave her the stage name.
    Last edited by tamla617; 12-12-2010 at 03:27 PM.

iconicpuff Guest
    iconicpuff
    no idea,tell me more.all i managed to find out was a song writer,who wrote her 1st single "early night", called mitch murray gave her the stage name.
    Well......Kiki is a 1940s slang term for a lesbian comfortable with either a passive or aggressive partner. Not sure if it's British or American slang!!!
    Now we need to know more about Mitch Murray and how much he knew about that and Pauline!!!

Aside from that, I know very little about Kiki's work prior to the Motown album. Aside from 'On a magic carpet ride' which was loved by the Northern Soul crowd in the UK I've heard very little so I'll welcome this release.

I do know that she, Dusty, Madeline, Lesley and the fabulous Doris Troy got together to create a 'funky, more soulful' sound to their recordings instead of using the stock session singers such as the Mike Sammes Singers who usually did backgrounds on UK sessions. They thought that sound was too stiff and square!
    Dusty's 'In the middle of nowhere' is a classic example of Kiki, Lesley, Madeline and Doris creating a more soulful background.

So, whenever you listen to any of their 60s recordings you are liable to be hearing 'The Cabale' on the backparts! Not that I'm an expert or authority on the subject. It's all info gleaned from sleeve notes of their re-released albums, such as Madeline's 'Bell's A Poppin'

I'm gonna have to pre-order this release, Tamla617! Thanks for the heads-up!!!

thanks for the info iconic.. i didnt know those 4 were so close.although i did hear in the late 60's/early70's [[thru' rumour control) madeline bell and dusty had a "thing" going on.

iconicpuff Guest
    thanks for the info iconic.. i didnt know those 4 were so close.although i did hear in the late 60's/early70's [[thru' rumour control) madeline bell and dusty had a "thing" going on.
    Yes, I heard about that too! EEeeeeeee! They'd make their mothers blush!!!!

iconic...
    if you're interested check out www.kikidee.info loads of stuff in there!

iconicpuff Guest
    iconic...
    if you're interested check out www.kikidee.info loads of stuff in there!
    Will do, mate!

iconicpuff Guest
    tamla617, did you get this album? if so, what do you think? I love it. Sure, some of the early songs are a bit twee but the later stuff is great. There are a couple of tracks where, if I hadn't known it was Kiki, I would've sworn it was Dusty Springfield as even the songs are the type Dusty would go for.
    I can't understand how Kiki didn't have at least one UK hit especially as Fontana was one of the major labels in the 60s in the UK. And even more so when you think of how many hits Sandie Shaw and Cilla Black had!!!!
    It's the same with Madeline Bell. I listened to her two albums the other day and the songs are generally strong [[even the album tracks) and her voice is always great yet not one solitary hit during the 60s!!!

The cd is out. I have had it for about a week now.

iconicpuff
    no i havent ordered it yet,i'd forgotten about it!
    i take it you know madeline bell was one half of blue mink,still strange she didnt have any solo hits tho'
    kiki a #1 wth elton,and a semi hit solo "i got the music in me"
    dusty,madeline and kiki were great "mates" btw

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post

Sounds like something only the fans in the UK and other parts of Europe are enthusiastic about. Kiki Dee never made a big splash in America besides the duet with Elton John. Her song , I Got the Music In Me was covered by others like Thelma Houston. I did purchase the Doris Troy Anthology.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 02-05-2011 at 02:13 PM.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post

Your review of it will be welcomed I am sure! Thanks.

Amerouse was a HUGE U.K. hit for KIKI. As for Dusty & whoever having a fling. I seem to remember hearing that somebodys wig got suffed down the toilet bowl in a fight! I dont think it was Dustys. Madeleine, Martha, Doris, WHO knows.....Paulo xxxx

iconicpuff Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    Amerouse was a HUGE U.K. hit for KIKI. As for Dusty & whoever having a fling. I seem to remember hearing that somebodys wig got suffed down the toilet bowl in a fight! I dont think it was Dustys. Madeleine, Martha, Doris, WHO knows.....Paulo xxxx
    Dusty often went into the recording studio wearing dark glasses to hide black-eyes from fights with her lover. Was it Norma something or other. Apparently it was a very tempestuous relationship!
    And Amereuse was Kiki's finest hour! I just love that song.

I suspect you are referring to Norma Tanega..of "Walking my cat named dog" fame.

I am sure Dusty's relationships had their ups and downs like most do. But I guess she learned, like we all do!

Not sure if I dreamed this, but I have a recollection that, in the old forum, there was mention of Dusty having a fling with Martha Reeves at the time of the Ready Steady Go Motown Special.

Adrian

It is a very old rumour....very old! And don't forget in those days, being gay wasn't legal.....everything was behind closed doors.

If they did, I hope they had a good time!

Quote Originally Posted by iconicpuff View Post
    Now we need to know more about Mitch Murray and how much he knew about that and Pauline!!!
    Mitch Murray is a very significant and well-known early/mid-60s songwriter, at least in the UK! He wrote two #1 hits for Gerry and the Pacemakers [["How Do You Do It" and "I Like It", the former having originally been cut by the Beatles - as their second single, no less - at George Martin's insistence before they rebelled against the decision), and then "You Were Made For Me" for Freddie and the Dreamers, among a whole load of other early Merseybeat / British Invasion minor hits. He now makes a very good living as a professional speechwriter, and has published books of one-liners for various occasions.

love her version of "more today than yesterday" from the Motown "Great Expectations" lp