[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Magic Lady?

Magic Lady?

Does anyone know anything about this group? Never heard of them. Who was in the group?
    About Product Images

This image is a general representation of the item and the actual product may differ slightly in terms of color shading, logo placement, borders, or other small details. Used items may have various cosmetic differences as well.

Magic Lady [[Motown)

CD [[Item 757378) Motown [[Japan), 1988 — Condition: New Copy

$13.99 ...

An overlooked set of soul from Magic Lady – formerly the backing group with a host of 70s soul acts, stepping out here on a lesser-known album for Motown from the 80s! The girls still have some of the full sounds of their previous work, but they also lay back a bit and let the rhythms take over a bit – even on the mellower tracks, which have that sort of heavier, beatier bottom that flourished strongly at the time. Michael Stokes produced the album, as he did some of their previous work – and the set's divided into a "magic mood" set of mellow tracks and a "lady groove" set of more upbeat numbers. Titles include "Betcha Can't Lose", "Hit & Run", "Cupid", "Wait A Minute", "Summer Love", "Paradise", "I Will Be His Fool", and "Misty Eyed".
    Magic Lady [[Motown)

CD [[Item 757378) Motown [[Japan), 1988 — Condition: New Copy

$13.99 ... CD

[[€12.83 || £8.91 || ¥1737) [[approx.)

Magic Lady was a mid80s female group. I am only familiar with the album on A&M Records. I guess they had two albums produced by Michael Stokes. Go to YouTube there is a Soul Train clip of 2 of their songs.

This one is a different group.

It seems to stick in my mind that I once had LPs by two different artists named Magic Lady. Just like there were two LaLas and two Nicoles as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    It seems to stick in my mind that I once had LPs by two different artists named Magic Lady. Just like there were two LaLas and two Nicoles as I recall.
    I think you may be right because though the group I know of had an album on A&M, they could've gone to Motown for one album. They also played instruments when they performed. And it looks like Michael Stokes produced both of their albums.

I have their motown album from the late 80's/early 90's. I haven't played it in simply ages but I recall it was quite a goodie. I must dig it out.

I bought the cassette of the album in the first posting when it came out in 1988. I bought it because of "Betcha Can't Lose, which got some airplay that spring / summer. I don't remember too much else from it.

Here they are with probably their best known single ...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2d...88-video_music

Thanks for the link Marc! The audience didn't look too excited did they!? Nice song though.

I've just dug out my original LP. It's all very much that kind of era's girl group sound, with some of the upbeat tracks sounding a bit dated now in that 80s 'hard edge' style. But the mid tempo and ballads still sound good. All the songs were co-written by Michael Stokes and the backing musicians are all the top people at the time like Nathan East, Gerald Albright, Paulinho DaCosta. There's nothing on the sleeve notes to say the names of Magic Lady [[that I could see). The album was produced and arranged for MS International Records Inc, so I guess it was one of those 'lease in' projects for Motown to help the label appear to be keeping in step in the late eighties [[although it is copyright Motown).

Alan, this album wasn't leased in by Motown as it was just a deal that Motown signed with Michael Stokes' MS International Records Inc [[which was actually a production company) in late '87/early '88 [[I think this was one of the deals that Al Bell signed during his short stint as vice president with Motown) and the "Magic Lady" album was the only project from the deal that got released. The other album projects being worked on went unreleased because of Motown being sold to MCA/Boston Ventures and, apparently the new Motown owners, weren't interested in them which was a shame as two of the finished albums were by Enchantment and the Friends Of Distinction but now they sit in that old Motown vault. Other acts signed to Motown but then dropped by MCA were Adrina, Byron Mitchell and Puff all of whom I know nothing about.

Ivor

Thanks Ivor, very interesting info. Yes, it looks like Al Bell was involved - the sleeve notes include 'Thanks to: Al Bell - What a friend I've found in you.' from Michael Stokes.

There is a good write-up on the group at Soulwalking which reads as follows ...

"Magic Lady comprised of:

Linda Stokes

Jackie Steele

and

Kimberly Ball

Magic Lady was the brainchild of singer and songwriter Linda Stokes, wife of Michael Stokes.

The all-girl group first signed to Arista for 'Magic Lady' [[1980), including 'I Just Wanna Be Free', following which they moved on to A & M for 'Hot And Sassy' [[1982), including the American r & b hit 'Hot And Sassy' and a cult U.K. soul track 'Hold Tight'.

On signing to Motown the group was reduced to just Linda Stokes and Jackie Ball.

A single 'Betcha Can't Lose With My Love' and album 'Magic Lady' were released in 1988.

Since that last release, the group has not recorded since, however 'Hold Tight' has been released on various UK rare groove compilations including 'Soul Souveniers'."

This is the link to the Soulwalking article ...

http://www.soulwalking.co.uk/Magic%20Lady.html

I have the Arista and Motown L.P.s ... scans etc. of the Arista L.P. can be found here ... http://www.45worlds.com/vinyl/album/ab4273

Roger

Wow! That doesn't often happen anymore to have 3 separate label deals and still not produce a hit. I have their "Hot 'n Sassy" album on A&M after also seeing them on Soul Train.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post

Linda Stokes

Jackie Steele

and

Kimberly Ball

Magic Lady was the brainchild of singer and songwriter Linda Stokes, wife of Michael Stokes.

The all-girl group first signed to Arista for 'Magic Lady' [[1980), including 'I Just Wanna Be Free', following which they moved on to A & M for 'Hot And Sassy' [[1982), including the American r & b hit 'Hot And Sassy' and a cult U.K. soul track 'Hold Tight'.

On signing to Motown the group was reduced to just Linda Stokes and Jackie Ball.

A single 'Betcha Can't Lose With My Love' and album 'Magic Lady' were released in 1988.

Since that last release, the group has not recorded since, however 'Hold Tight' has been released on various UK rare groove compilations including 'Soul Souveniers'."

I have the Arista and Motown L.P.s ... scans etc. of the Arista L.P. can be found here ... http://www.45worlds.com/vinyl/album/ab4273

Roger
    Linda Stokes bio mention that she is a designer to the stars and is married to Michael Stokes Magic lady's producer
    Here her bio from her website:

LINDA STOKES

Linda Stokes, creator of LSO Design, has emerged as the hottest designer to wardrobe Hollywood’s most celebrated superstars. Linda Stokes Originals are just as uniquely identifiable as the celebrities who wear them. Speaking of celebrities, it’s easier to name who she hasn’t worked with.

Her clientele ranges from Jennifer Lopez to Cher, Janet Jackson to Faith Hill, Britney Spears to Sade, Macy Gray to Shakira, Sean “P. Diddy” Combs to Ozzy Osbourne, not to mention N’SYNC, Jessica Simpson, TLC and Patti LaBelle. From every genre, Linda Stokes designs are also seen from Supermodels to Super Athletes. Tyra Banks, Claudia Schiffer and Carol Alt of the fashion world, Will Smith, Martin Lawrence, Steve Harvey, and Cedric the Entertainer whose faces are common place on both film and television, Master P, Lil Bow Wow, Lil Kim and Sisqo of the music industry, Magic Johnson, Gary Payton, Gary Sheffield and Alexei Yashin from sports. And this is just her short list.

Linda Stokes being the contemporary Maverick that she is – has launched LSO Sport Ltd., her signature jean line in 2003. Her sport collection was created to give the public the opportunity to experience the sexy, hot, custom styles that the stars are usually only privy to.

Linda’s award winning designs are on display at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in NY and at the Hard Rock Café’ at Universal Studios in California. Her latest work can be seen in her showroom & studio in Woodland Hills, California.

On a personal note, Linda is married to multi-Grammy award winning record producer, Michael Stokes; together they have four children and four grandchildren.

The mission of LSO is to provide quality, customized clothing to meet your lifestyle changes. Clothing that will be an extension of your personality from the soccer field to the boardroom to the ballroom.

Linda believes your dreams can be brought to life by sheer determination and fortitude. Her goal is to see that everyone will have at least one LSO design in their closet.

I hope this help

Linda Stokes

Jackie Steele

and

Kimberly Ball

Roger
    I've always appreciated Toby' devotion to classic soul and r&B and I was glad to that he's still
    in the game with his website. I remember him talking about shutting it down a few years back. Still, I have to say I'm sometimes puzzled by particular typos or errors I see on it. In
    this case the mention of Magic Lady going to Motown names a "Jackie Ball" but the previous
    mention of a Jackie in the group gives her last name as Steele and the member whose last
    name was Ball was first named Kimberly. As people like to say these days, watsupwitdat!?!..

Former Enchantment, Bob Seger and The Soul Searchers backing singer Linda Stokes [[guitar and vocals) formed Magic Lady in Detroit, Michigan with Jackie Steele [[bass) and Kimberly Ball [[keyboards). With Linda’s husband Michael Stokes handling production, the group originally recorded for Arista, releasing their debut album in 1980. Two years later they resurfaced at A&M for Hot ‘N’ Sassy, with Red Hot Stuff becoming a minor hit on the R&B chart as #52.
    By the time they joined Motown in 1988, Kimberly Ball had left and the group was a duo, recording an eponymous album split into two distinct styles, with side A being ‘Magic Mood’ and side B ‘Lady Groove’. The album gave rise to another R&B hit in Betcha Can’t Lose [[With My Love) which made #45 as well as becoming a minor British pop hit, peaking at #58. Nothing further has been heard from the group since that release.
    ALBUM: MAGIC LADY [[1988)

Further info

Hi,
    Hold tight is not on Soul Souvenirs but on the Expansion label serious 'Soul Chasers' [[LPEXP4).
    Regards,
    Mart.

Linda Stokes

Jackie Steele

and

Kimberly Ball

Roger

I remember reading this thread aaaaages ago! Now I have all of Magic Lady's albums, and they're all great! I LOVE "Betcha Can't Lose [[With My Love)", from their 1988 Motown album, such a tune.