[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes Never Before Released Masters

This is just hanging out there for $17.99. I've never seen so many on Amazon for less than $100 bucks. Get 'em while you can.
    http://www.amazon.com/Never-Before-R...s=the+supremes

Ah, talk about fond memories! The Supremes "Never-Before-Released Masters" was the very first CD [[Motown or otherwise) that I ever bought. In fact, when Motown announced back in 1987 that it would no longer be releasing vinyl, I sold my entire vinyl album collection -- confident and sure that every Motown album would eventually be reissued on CD. Now, 28 years later, Motown has stopped releasing CD's and has reverted to reissuing on vinyl [[Marvin Gaye albums). Go figure! Feels like we've come full circle.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 07-31-2015 at 11:59 AM.

I bought NEVER BEFORE RELEASED MASTERS at a college bookstore when it was first released. I'm glad I did, as I never saw it in a store again.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Ah, talk about fond memories! The Supremes "Never-Before-Released Masters" was the very first CD [[Motown or otherwise) that I ever bought. In fact, when Motown announced back in 1987 that it would no longer be releasing vinyl, I sold my entire vinyl album collection -- confident and sure that every Motown album would eventually be reissued on CD. Now, 28 years later, Motown has stopped releasing CD's and has reverted to reissuing on vinyl [[Marvin Gaye albums. Go figure! Feels like we've come full circle.
    It was also my first CD. I was kind of late getting into the CD market, but this CD kind of forced me into it and then out of LPs.

I did not know that Motown was no longer making CDs

I still have my on vinyl - I would have never sold or gave away just because of the front cover.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    It was also my first CD. I was kind of late getting into the CD market, but this CD kind of forced me into it and then out of LPs.

I did not know that Motown was no longer making CDs
    Milven, I, too, was a late bloomer getting into CD's. Once I found out [[in 1987) about The Supremes "Never-Before-Released Masters" and all of those cool Motown two-fer CD's, though, I made up for lost time.

I was referring to the fact that Universal/Motown releases only downloads now instead of CD's. Sure, Universal/Motown LEASES Motown mastertapes to other labels [[ACE/Kent, SoulMusic, Reel Music, etc), but THOSE labels RELEASE the Motown product on CD, NOT Motown. Universal/Motown this past year has been releasing downloads only -- much to many people's dismay, including mine.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 07-31-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Milven, I, too, was a late bloomer getting into CD's. Once I found out [[in 1987) about The Supremes "Never-Before-Released Masters" and all of those cool Motown two-fer CD's, though, I made up for lost time.

I was referring to the fact that Universal/Motown releases only downloads now instead of CD's. Sure, Universal/Motown LEASES Motown mastertapes to other labels [[ACE/Kent, SoulMusic, Reel Music, etc), but THOSE labels RELEASE the Motown product on CD, NOT Motown. Universal/Motown this past year has been releasing downloads only -- much to many people's dismay.
    My guess is that Never Before Released was not released on vinyl, correct? I've never seen it listed under the "M5" series reissues. I would love to have a vinyl copy of it.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    My guess is that Never Before Released was not released on vinyl, correct? I've never seen it listed under the "M5" series reissues. I would love to have a vinyl copy of it.
    It was originally released only on CD. I wanted it, and that was made me start switching over to CDs from vinyl.

I don't think it was ever released on vinyl in later years, but someone here would probably has a definite answer.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I still have my on vinyl - I would have never sold or gave away just because of the front cover.
    Captainjames, my decision to ditch my entire album collection [[Motown and Non-Motown) was because I was sick and tired of all the problems inherent with vinyl -- unexplained surface noise, grooves being pressed off-center and warps causing annoying "wow" and "flutter". Even new, sealed LP's sometimes sounded like a crackling campfire. Frustrated and fed up, I embraced the CD with open arms, and I still do.

Yes, that's correct, thanxal. Motown made an official announcement at the time that The Supremes "Never-Before-Released Masters" would be released on CD only. Shocked and afraid of being left behind, I caved and jumped on the CD bandwagon. And I've never regrettedd it since. Downloads, however, are another story. I've partially caved -- regretfully and resentfully.

Yes, that's correct, thanxal. Motown made an official announcement at the time that The Supremes "Never-Before-Released Masters" would be released on CD only. Shocked and afraid of being left behind, I caved and jumped on the CD bandwagon. And I've never regrettedd it since. Downloads, however, are another story. I've partially caved -- regretfully and resentfully.
    Thanks P/MG. I couldn't recall with which CD Motown made that announcement. I was just getting into Motown at that time. I like that downloads take up A LOT less physical space compared to my front wall of records and side wall of CDs but I still buy the physical form too. Once Andy released "Baby It's Me" I got it as a download but then went to my favorite record store and found the LP. Its easier for me to play my library on my 128gb iPhone 6+ but there is something about the LP and CD being physically in your hand. Guess I'm old is all.

Thanks P/MG. I couldn't recall with which CD Motown made that announcement. I was just getting into Motown at that time. I like that downloads take up A LOT less physical space compared to my front wall of records and side wall of CDs but I still buy the physical form too. Once Andy released "Baby It's Me" I got it as a download but then went to my favorite record store and found the LP. Its easier for me to play my library on my 128gb iPhone 6+ but there is something about the LP and CD being physically in your hand. Guess I'm old is all.
    You're very welcome, thanxal. I guess it's all a matter of what we're used to and what we enjoy. In a perfect world, we would be given the option of choosing CD's for those of us who still want our music physical and of the highest caliber [[both visually/graphically and aurally), and downloads for those who want the utmost in compactability regardless of the sound quality and lack of artwork/graphics. To be forced to settle for the latter is slowly but surely ruining my joy of buying music. Such is the status of the economy, I guess.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 07-31-2015 at 09:44 PM.

You're very welcome, thanxal. I guess it's all a matter of what we're used to and what we enjoy. In a perfect world, we would be given the option of choosing CD's for those of us who still want our music physical and of the highest caliber [[both visually/graphically and aurally), and downloads for those who want the utmost in compactability regardless of the sound quality and lack of artwork/graphics. To be forced to settle for the latter is slowly but surely ruining my joy of buying music. Such is the status of the economy, I guess.
    So we're both old cuz I agree.

So we're both old cuz I agree.
    Yeah, you're probably right! I was 13 years old when I bought my first Motown 45 in the Summer of '64 -- Mary Wells "My Guy". And you?

As with many of you this was also my first ever cd, and i have to say i never bought another vinyl lp. I still refuse to download. For me it is a clinical, empty and soulless experience. I am not saying i shall never download but the very thought appalls me. I want a physical product not some empty space. I guess i am just old.............

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    As with many of you this was also my first ever cd, and i have to say i never bought another vinyl lp. I still refuse to download. For me it is a clinical, empty and soulless experience. I am not saying i shall never download but the very thought appalls me. I want a physical product not some empty space. I guess i am just old.............
    I agree. Aside from the enjoyment of the music, there's no fun in it. So much of what comes with the music becomes a part of it. In the LP days, the album art, the inserts, the posters. In the CD days, the packaging is secondary in my opinion to the extensive notes which often come with the product [[liner notes had nearly become extinct prior to CDs).

I have only bought a few albums via downloads, all of them Motown: The "Funny Girl" sessions, and the two volumes of "Motown Unreleased Jazz." I will probably buy the "Motown Gospel" as well sometime, But for me, it's only if I am absolutely certain I won't be able to get it any other way. I hope that's not true about most music for a long, long time. The reignited interest in vinyl, especially, makes me feel we'll have other choices aside from downloading for a long time yet.

This release and "From Us To You" were the two CD's I drooled over for years. Thanks to the advent of eBay I've been able to acquire both to add to my collection. And not at the seemingly ridic prices that they often go for.

Ironically, today I just received the Japanse release of DRATS "Reflections". I held off buying it forever in the hopes that it would get an expanded treatment. Seeing as though it looks like the Supremes catalog has stalled at "A Go-Go", I didn't want to risk not having this as a physical release. As it is, the price has gone up considerably.

I noticed today too that [[on eBay) there is a copy of "Sam Cooke" on CD with a starting bid of $100.00. Clearly the owner sees the value, and I wouldn't be surprised if indeed it sells. Seems logical that someone [[ACE?) might want to do some direct CD releases; I'd hate the no frills, but something is better than nothing.

@marybrewster, What is "From Us to You?" Is it a Beatles release?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Seems logical that someone [[ACE?) might want to do some direct CD releases; I'd hate the no frills, but something is better than nothing.
    Or maybe the Real Gone label. In the past year, it has released cds by Linda Jones, Jackie Moore, as well as Valerie Simpson's two solo Tamla albums. I would think that FUNNY GIRL or BABY IT'S ME will sell just as well as these.
    Last edited by reese; 08-11-2015 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    @marybrewster, What is "From Us to You?" Is it a Beatles release?
    Yes! I think it's actually called "With Love From Us To You". It's basically the Beatles album with a few extras, like "Moonlight and Kisses" and a few other foreign tunes, plus Christine Schumaker's "Mother You, Smother You".

Oh I see...the "Bit of Liverpool" album with extras. Thanks.

Found it. Looks like it was on Marginal. Some of their releases were pretty decent sounding, and I was glad to have them before Hip-O and Ace really started doing its thing!

This one looks to be only about $18. Only a few tracks from "Liverpool," unfortunately. I have come to enjoy that album lately, though I'm convinced it was all recorded in one day. The arrangements sound so hurried and sparse. But I love Diane's version of "House of the Rising Sun" [[not on this CD however).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPREMES-Wit...item3ef902da49

Name:  93_35.JPG
Views: 383
Size:  26.8 KB