[REMOVE ADS]

'Flip The Frog' in SODA SQUIRT [[Cartoon; 1933; 6 Mins.)

Created by Ub Iwerks
    [[co-creator with Walt Disney of 'Mickey Mouse')

https://youtu.be/FbBr85uyFPU

Thanks to MrXnews2 for this YouTube posting.

Where do you find these tresures, i haven't seen this thing in years...and for you youngsters,yes there were four marx bros.

Oh, want me to reveal my sources, do ya'? OK, Arr&bee, I will: Yesterday, I saw the new documentary DO I SOUND GAY? that just opened. It contained a brief clip of the effeminate character that turns up in SODA SQUIRT, so I went looking for it on YouTube since I enjoy animation and wanted to see the whole cartoon. And there it was--and in a great print, too. Thought it was definitely worth posting on SDF. Glad you enjoyed it. The movie stars also appearing in it were a real surprise. And I agree with you--having the 4 Marx Bros. was a very nice touch--and very right for 1933. But I was mostly surprised by the inclusion of the effeminate character and the ridicule taken with it. Cartoons of that time very often had a great deal of subtext to them as I'm sure you know--sometimes surprisingly so. But I was still surprised to see it in this.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 07-28-2015 at 03:02 PM.

Yep,back then[gay]meant happy as in the gay devorcee[1933]fred astair-ginger rodgers.

Here' a photo of British actor Tyrell Davis from George Cukor's OUR BETTERS [[1933). It seems the character in the SODA SQUIRT cartoon may have been based on the character he played in Cukor's movie. Tyrell Davis was known for often playing such characters.

Attachment 9762

Yeah that hand is kinda limp.

1933,interesting year-f.d.r. Is elected as the great depression rages on,king kong is released[in theaters] the washington senators reach the wolrd series for what will be the last time in thier history.

Ha ha ha!!!

Also there was Jimmy Durante, Joe E. Brown, & Mae West in the cartoon.

S.S.