[REMOVE ADS]

Steve Wonder originally recorded Too Shy To Say in 1963!

According to the seller of this acetate...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Stevi...p2047675.l2557

If true, it fits in with his tradition of re-recording songs he's written previously, such as "Overjoyed" and "Cryin' Through The Night" [[I have a few takes of this from what sounds like around the Fulfillingness era).

I would ask the seller how exactly they determined that this was made in 1963. I see no markings to indicate any date, regardless of something as specific as 1963. A quick Google search of "Bob Ross Music Service" gives no indication of when the business was established, etc.

Edit: The US Post Office began using five digit zip codes on July 1, 1963. The label has a five digit code, which makes me suspect the date even more. Perhaps it was recorded in 1963 and released later, but again how did the seller establish that the song was recorded in 63?
    Last edited by thanxal; 07-24-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Someone got in touch with me about this acetate while the latest edition of DFTMC was in preparation, and I did some digging ... there's NO evidence in Motown paperwork for Stevie recording this song prior to "Fulfillingness" ... I believe the vendor was asked for a sound clip, as that could nail the 1963 attribution for sure: Stevie's voice hadn't properly broken at that point. But I never heard any more.

thomas96 Guest
    Keith that was me who emailed you about it. I talked with the seller quite a bit about this and did a fair amount of research. He initially told me he hadn't listened to it but was told by an associate of Berry Gordy's that it was recorded straight to that disc in 1963. He told me when he listed a JD-XXX series acetate that Mr Gordy's COO, Nansci LeGette contacted him on behalf of BG about buying it and any others he may have. He told me he met with Ms. LeGette and another woman who's name he can't remember, but who worked at Motown then, and that the lady told him the Stevie acetate was recorded in 1963. He showed me an email exchange with Ms LeGett, but I was very skeptical of the Stevie since I'd never heard of Bob Ross' Music Service and never heard of "Too Shy.." being recorded before "Fulfillingness'.." I did some research and found this interview:

http://www.uaudio.com/blog/joe-sidor...erview-part-1/

It didn't say a lot but indicated Bob Ross' studio was open in the '60s and later and he did some recording and dubbing then so it was possible that the Stevie acetate was from '63. The seller couldn't get me a sound clip as he didn't have a record player so I decided to buy it with the condition it could be returned if it's not from '63. I got it and unfortunately it was the exact same recording that was released in '74 on "Fulfillingness'..." I was really hoping it was from '63 but oh well. Just mailed it back to him the other day. Was quite a bit of work but I felt it was worth it for the possible discovery of another early Stevie recording, and it was some interesting knowledge I found out about Bob Ross' studio. He did have a few other JD-XXX acetates that I believe had some German Supremes and Temptations hits, one of which he told me he sold to Berry Gordy. Don't really have any reason not to believe him, but he was wrong about the Stevie being '63 so I'm not sure.

I doubt he cut that track in 1963, he wasn't as musically developed as he would be in the late '60s...

Glad to hear that mystery got resolved, Thomas, though sorry to hear you haven't made a sensational discovery!

My guess is that they meant to put 1973 instead, but 63 was placed my mistake.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    My guess is that they meant to put 1973 instead, but 63 was placed my mistake.
    No he was adamant every time we spoke that it is 1963. Even after I listened to it myself and found it to be the exact same as the version on Fulfilingness'... and he was still convinced it's '63.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Glad to hear that mystery got resolved, Thomas, though sorry to hear you haven't made a sensational discovery!
    Thanks for the help, Keith. And I haven't forgotten about sending you scans of my others acetates! Just need to get them together and send it over when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    No he was adamant every time we spoke that it is 1963. Even after I listened to it myself and found it to be the exact same as the version on Fulfilingness'... and he was still convinced it's '63.
    I reckon you should have sent a hearing aid back with the acetate

^ I was gonna suggest that. LOL

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  21.1 KB
    "Too Shy To Say" - written by Stevie Wonder, was published first by Jobete Music when they were with BMI. The current ASCAP listing shows an ASCAP # of
    15357991 . Black Bull's ASCAP # for the song is 58000000 series, so, I think those numbers would be the same with BMI, and show the relative time difference between Stevie Wonder's own Black Bull Music getting the shared publishing rights long after the song was first published by Jobete, with BMI. That leads me to believe that Stevie wrote that song in the early to mid '60s, rather than in 1973. So, the 1963 date could, possibly really be the true date if the acetate.

But I don't understand the controversy. Anyone who has listened to the acetate would be able to tell whether or not the singer was 1963 Little Stevie Wonder, or 1973 grown-up Stevie Wonder. If only the seller has heard the recording, and trying to pass off a '70s Stevie Wonder recording as a 1963 recording, he hasn't got a prayer of getting away with that. So, why would he even attempt such a fraudulent act?

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    I decided to buy it with the condition it could be returned if it's not from '63. I got it and unfortunately it was the exact same recording that was released in '74 on "Fulfillingness'...".
    So it's no different than Stevie's 1974 release.

Here's another acetate from the web - Louie Fontaine & The Rockets seem to have formed around 1971 and there's a suggestion that this acetate may be from 1973.
    Attachment 9761

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  21.1 KB
    "Too Shy To Say" - written by Stevie Wonder, was published first by Jobete Music when they were with BMI. The current ASCAP listing shows an ASCAP # of
    15357991 . Black Bull's ASCAP # for the song is 58000000 series, so, I think those numbers would be the same with BMI, and show the relative time difference between Stevie Wonder's own Black Bull Music getting the shared publishing rights long after the song was first published by Jobete, with BMI. That leads me to believe that Stevie wrote that song in the early to mid '60s, rather than in 1973. So, the 1963 date could, possibly really be the true date if the acetate.

But I don't understand the controversy. Anyone who has listened to the acetate would be able to tell whether or not the singer was 1963 Little Stevie Wonder, or 1973 grown-up Stevie Wonder. If only the seller has heard the recording, and trying to pass off a '70s Stevie Wonder recording as a 1963 recording, he hasn't got a prayer of getting away with that. So, why would he even attempt such a fraudulent act?
    I, too, believe there is a '60s recording of it out there somewhere, but the acetate from this thread was the '74 released version. I listened to it, and it's clear as day adult Stevie. I honestly think the seller is just clueless or hasn't listened to it. As others suggested I should've sent him a hearing aid! If there is an earlier recording of it, I bet Stevie's got the only copy. Otherwise Keith likely would've heard or known about it.