[REMOVE ADS]

'Archie' cartoonist Tom Moore dies in his native El Paso

I always preferred Bob Montana's illustration style. Still, R.I.P..

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I always preferred Bob Montana's illustration style. Still, R.I.P..
    When did Bob take over?

Bob Montana created the Archie characters, Marv...I've always been a bit divided on the
    merits of the Archie series. Though I know recognize the iconic status of the brand I long
    felt them too simplistic and shallow as far as portraying the ups and downs of teenage life.
    Even for comics. I preferred the understory of science fiction and fantasy work like Marvel
    and DC. Funny though in recent years almost all comics have made dramatic changes in their
    subject matter bringing them closer to what present day reality is like. That includes Archie
    who was actually killed over the last year defending a gay male friend of his. It's not your
    daddy's funny pages any more, is it?....

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Bob Montana created the Archie characters, Marv...I've always been a bit divided on the
    merits of the Archie series. Though I know recognize the iconic status of the brand I long
    felt them too simplistic and shallow as far as portraying the ups and downs of teenage life.
    Even for comics. I preferred the understory of science fiction and fantasy work like Marvel
    and DC. Funny though in recent years almost all comics have made dramatic changes in their
    subject matter bringing them closer to what present day reality is like. That includes Archie
    who was actually killed over the last year defending a gay male friend of his. It's not your
    I guess you didn't read Archie in the early 70s, when they did have Archie & the gang tackle the issues of the day, like pollution and drug dealing. I admit, though, that towards the last few years, the writers went overboard with marriage, politics, and gay stuff. In other words, they advanced their aqge, and that didn't help the legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Are you kidding me? Archie is dead? I recently watched a few of the old "Archies Show" on Hulu. com from the 60s and still laughed at some of it.

I guess you didn't read Archie in the early 70s, when they did have Archie & the gang tackle the issues of the day, like pollution and drug dealing. I admit, though, that towards the last few years, the writers went overboard with marriage, politics, and gay stuff. In other words, they advanced their aqge, and that didn't help the legacy.
    I read and watched the Archies TV Show mostly between 1968-72.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I read and watched the Archies TV Show mostly between 1968-72.
    Yup. I watched them during that same time period too. Bought their records, too. I started reading the comic books in 1968, and pretty much stopped in the late 70s. I bought the most Archie family of comic books between 1971 and 1975, which included Sad Sack, Dennis The menace, and Richie Rich. After that, I went to Mad and Cracked. Then I moved on to National Lampoon, while still buying the occasional Archie comic.

Yup. I watched them during that same time period too. Bought their records, too. I started reading the comic books in 1968, and pretty much stopped in the late 70s. I bought the most Archie family of comic books between 1971 and 1975, which included Sad Sack, Dennis The menace, and Richie Rich. After that, I went to Mad and Cracked. Then I moved on to National Lampoon, while still buying the occasional Archie comic.
    -I use to cut the records off of the cereal box.