[REMOVE ADS]

Interview with Ian Phillips, author of the new Diana Ross biography,

There were comments posted a few weeks ago on this site that some Diana Ross fans might hesitate purchasing Ian Phillips' new biography on her, as they felt it might be a rehash of his earlier biography on Ross. I just finished reading a interview with Ian posted online that will clear up that issue. Here is the link.

Name:  Diana_Ross_book.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  35.4 KB

http://www.soulandjazzandfunk.com/interviews/3510-reflections-a-new-book-on-diana-ross-has-just-published-its-author-ian-phillips-reflects-on-the-singer-they-call-the-boss-to-sjf.html

Very interesting and honest quote from Mr Phillips in that article:

Quite honestly, I felt the first book I wrote on Diana didn't have much depth and was a little unbalanced in terms of being objective.

I'd certainly agree with the second part of that quote although I do think it was excellent as a reference to all of Diana's output.

I wasn't initially going to buy the new version but having read this interview I will now.

Thanks for posting link, Mark.

Florence, I appreciate your comment. I ordered my copy of Ian's book "Diana Ross Reflections" from Amazon and it just arrived. I thought I'd read a few pages before going to bed last evening and ended up reading three chapters, it's that good.

Phillips comments on recording sessions, individual album track selections and album projects are insightful and he fills out timelines with interesting new information about The Supremes and their approach to recording from such Motown staff people who were there at the beginning such as Janie Bradford and Al Abrams, who also provided photos from their personal archives. This new information about The Supremes adds to their enduring legacy.

As well, Phillips had done extensive research and pulled information from other previous Motown books and media sources to pepper his own insights with comments from the Holland, Dozier, Holland writing team provides a good peek into the day to day operations at Motown.

Publishing today is at a crossroads and a risky venture for authors hoping to make a living. Phillips first Diana Ross biography was plagued by a publishing firm indifferent to the final editing process. His new publisher, Newhaven has delivered a quality book.

There are plenty of original colour photographs of Diana Ross in concert over the years and especially during her recent tour which fans will appreciate. It would have been better to have the photographs printed on glossy paper for maximum reproduction effect. A minor drawback in light of the huge amount of work put into this book.

Over the years I have sought out every book published on Motown, and as members of this forum know only too well, many are out of print or very obscure and some embarrassingly poorly written. So far from what I've read, "Diana Ross Reflections" is a book I will return to again.
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 07-22-2015 at 01:41 PM.

Thank you for the great review, Mark. I thought that this would just be an updated edition of his last book, which received mixed reviews. I'm glad this is a completely different book and much different than the first. I may have to order this.

Good interview. I like that fact that it focuses on her body of work. So much more interesting. It is also nice that Al Abrams and Janie Bradford participated. Great sources.

The new book definitely has been upgraded. It has much better research. It is a little steep in costs so though I feel it is essential reading for a Diana Ross Fan [[especially if you see yourself as a Platinum Level Diana Ross Fan....which I do������), but, it doesn't come cheaply. Through the years, I'm sure many of us have paid pretty exorbitant costs for a Diana Ross ticket, memoribilia, etc. This book stays on my nightstand for constant reading and re-reading about my favorite albums.

My copy arrived last night and it is almost like a big textbook. Lot's and lot's of text and great fan photos, most from her recent tours. There's a section for every album, some only a page and some go on for more than a few pages. Looks like it's well researched. I haven't had a chance to read it, but I'm happy I have this. The last section of the book also discusses her movies.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    My copy arrived last night and it is almost like a big textbook. Lot's and lot's of text and great fan photos, most from her recent tours. There's a section for every album, some only a page and some go on for more than a few pages. Looks like it's well researched. I haven't had a chance to read it, but I'm happy I have this. The last section of the book also discusses her movies.
    Glad to hear; sounds like a book I will like.

I looked through the book in a bit more detail this morning and made the decision to return it. It is a nice book, but being the price sensitive young fan that I am, I can't say it was worth the $70 I had to pay. It is a good book in the sense that it is a definitive guide to her albums, but it is more like a compilation of information from different books and sources, such as discussing chart stats, TV appearances and notable concerts from that era, with commentary on each song, the writers, etc. A lot of effort went into this and no doubt a nice resource, but $70 for a hard cover with fan concert photos, some of which are a bit blurry at times, makes it hard for me to justify the purchase.

Carlo, I'm sorry to her about your decision to return "Reflections." I was surprised that your copy cost you $70, as that certainly is excessive. Amazon current lists the book for $42. The least they could do is make up the difference. Cheers!

Hi Mark, yes with taxes, it was almost $70, but I had ordered the hardcover version. I believe the paperback version is $20 less.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I looked through the book in a bit more detail this morning and made the decision to return it. It is a nice book, but being the price sensitive young fan that I am, I can't say it was worth the $70 I had to pay. It is a good book in the sense that it is a definitive guide to her albums, but it is more like a compilation of information from different books and sources, such as discussing chart stats, TV appearances and notable concerts from that era, with commentary on each song, the writers, etc. A lot of effort went into this and no doubt a nice resource, but $70 for a hard cover with fan concert photos, some of which are a bit blurry at times, makes it hard for me to justify the purchase.
    Buying it and reading it and returning it is a real cheap way to get to read a new book. Do they charge return postage Carlo. Im real curious? Thanks.

Fondly,

Roberta

Currently on Amazon [[U.S.) the hardcover version is $41.90 [[about what I paid) and the paperback version $30.11. I'm very happy with the book myself.