[REMOVE ADS]

Aretha Franklin Has Cancer, Family Confirms

A friend told me this a few weeks ago and I was hoping that it wasn't true. Didn't want to post it without it being confirmed. Here is another article http://detnews.com/article/20101208/...en-with-cancer . Keeping her in prayers. My mother lived 40 plus years after being diagnosed with terminal cancer so I know that there's nothing too hard for God.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    My mother lived 40 plus years after being diagnosed with terminal cancer so I know that there's nothing too hard for God.
    Amen!!

"Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see." - Hebrews 11:1

Standing in faith and prayer for Aretha. As she said in her statement, "God is in control".

I wish her well. If it's pancreatic cancer, most who received that don't live long.

I was not expecting to hear this. I'm utterly shocked,and hope she can battle this.

Very true, Midnightman. Pancreatic cancer is a very grim prognosis, indeed. The survival rate is very low. From what i've read, it seems that pancreatic cancer isn't anymore agressive than other types of cancer, it just doesn't cause symptoms until it's too late, and that's what makes it so dangerous. It would be so wonderful if they could just devise a blood test for cancer that every person would take every 6 months, so things like this could be caught in time. And remember y'all, heavy smoking is the biggest common factor in this type of cancer, so do everything you can to stop. it's just not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    A friend told me this a few weeks ago and I was hoping that it wasn't true. Didn't want to post it without it being confirmed. Here is another article http://detnews.com/article/20101208/...en-with-cancer . Keeping her in prayers. My mother lived 40 plus years after being diagnosed with terminal cancer so I know that there's nothing too hard for God.
    Blessed is the name of Lord! Thank you Glencro.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Very true, Midnightman. Pancreatic cancer is a very grim prognosis, indeed. The survival rate is very low. From what i've read, it seems that pancreatic cancer isn't anymore agressive than other types of cancer, it just doesn't cause symptoms until it's too late, and that's what makes it so dangerous. It would be so wonderful if they could just devise a blood test for cancer that every person would take every 6 months, so things like this could be caught in time. And remember y'all, heavy smoking is the biggest common factor in this type of cancer, so do everything you can to stop. it's just not worth it.
    Drinking too!

Let's hope that Aretha is one of the few people who actually survive this. Nothing's impossible!

http://www.pancreatic.org/site/c.htJ...tic_Cancer.htm

Sorry to hear this diagnosis. Not the best. But, treatment has come a long way in the last few years. There's always hope and hope we will.

Hi All: I hate to say it but just look at this article I found on the CAUSES of pancreatic cancer.

"Traits, Habits, And Diet
    Pancreatic cancers are more likely to exist in men than in women, and among African-Americans than among whites. Smoking cigarettes increases one's risk of pancreatic cancer by a factor of 2 or 3. Even smokeless tobacco has been noted as a risk factor.

Diet and obesity have also been linked to cancers of the pancreas. People who do not exercise much and who are obese are more likely to develop pancreatic cancer. In addition, those who eat diets low in vegetables and fruits and high in red meat and fat are more likely to be diagnosed with the disease. Alcohol consumption is also considered a risk factor for pancreatic cancer. Long term, heavy drinking leads to chronic pancreatitis, which is a known risk factor for pancreatic cancer."

I got this from an article called Medical News Today. I wish Aretha the best in her struggle. I admire her faith.

I'm going to take the cancer thing with a grain of salt, at least until the family says something. The quotes from Brenda Corbett imply that there may be a problem with the Enquirer story. Refering to the story, Ms Crobett said "The girl is doing great and they need to stop it."

http://www.freep.com/article/2010120...orts-of-cancer

Yes, the Enquirer is correct every so often, but keep in mind the phrase every so often. For all we know, this could be a play by a bankrupt American Media, Inc. to build circulation in one of its core holdings......

^

Maybe but they didn't totally deny it either.

Aretha Franklin's family says she is doing well

Even as major media outlets are reporting that Aretha Franklin is battling cancer, two of Franklin's closest relatives tell the Detroit Free Press that the singer is doing well recovering from an undisclosed medical procedure last week.

Still, Franklin's sister-in-law Earline Franklin and her cousin Brenda Corbett would not discuss the exact nature of Franklin's illness with the newspaper.

"Aretha is doing better than doctors expected," Corbett tells the Free Press. "She has a long life in front of her and will be back in concert, on stage, late spring or early summer."

The family echoed statements from the Rev. Jesse Jackson, who told the Associated Press that he had visited with Franklin four or five times recently and the legendary singer is "recovering very well" from surgery.

LINK: http://content.usatoday.com/communit...s-doing-well/1

----
    The keywords here are "denial" and "confirmation". They didn't confirm anything but they didn't totally deny it either. Either way, keep praying for Aretha. She has struggled.

Keith Washington calling on Aretha from November:

Seems like she was just waiting on seeing what she's ailing with herself, sounds like she didn't know herself.

But it should be telling that her publicist hasn't fully come out and denied this. That's quite telling I should say.
    Last edited by midnightman; 12-09-2010 at 12:06 AM.

My neighbour at the lake died a year and a half ago from this.

As I recall, the first step they tried to take was to put a stent around the pancreas or bypass it ~ or some such thing; I think because it was hoped it would extend life.

My neighbour had been a very big man most of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    My neighbour at the lake died a year and a half ago from this.

As I recall, the first step they tried to take was to put a stent around the pancreas or bypass it ~ or some such thing; I think because it was hoped it would extend life.

My neighbour had been a very big man most of his life.
    I can only imagine that this is what Aretha's surgery was.

Hi this is Kev-Lo

I'm so sorry to hear this about the queen of soul. I Wish her a speedy recovery and I'll keep her in my prayers

Well wishes for Aretha Franklin
    World worries about the Queen of Soul

By BRIAN McCOLLUM and CASSANDRA SPRATLING
    Free Press Pop Music Writers

Amid grim reports and with details hard to come by, at least one thing about Aretha Franklin was clear Wednesday: The world is worried about the Queen of Soul.

Franklin has pancreatic cancer, according to a variety of reports and a source who told the Free Press that the Detroit star was diagnosed with that form of cancer. Fans across the globe voiced dismay while paying tribute to the iconic 68-year-old singer.

In Detroit, as family members remained tight-lipped about the specifics of her illness, one longtime associate said the prospect of losing Franklin had sent shock waves through the music world.

“This would be as tragic as it gets,” said Brian Pastoria, a Detroit studio operator who has handled many of Franklin’s recording sessions. “Aretha has inspired so many artists, so many people, all while being such a great ambassador for Detroit. I hope she can miraculously beat this, because we need her spirit moving forward.

As reports circulated Wednesday, Franklin’s family members would not address the nature of her illness. But two of her closest relatives insisted to the Free Press that she’s doing well as she recovers from surgery last week.

Franklin has often said that Christmas is her favorite time of year, and it looks as if she may get to spend the holiday at home: Cousin Brenda Corbett, who has visited Franklin regularly since her hospitalization, said the singer expects to be released from the hospital this weekend.

“Aretha is doing better than doctors expected,” Corbett said. “She has a long life in front of her and will be back in concert, on stage, late spring or early summer.” The source who confirmed Franklin’s pancreatic cancer diagnosis to the Free Press — echoing other anonymously sourced media reports — said that doctors “will monitor and keep a close eye on it from here on out.” The source requested anonymity. Others close to the Detroit singer emphasized the 68-year-old star’s desire for privacy.

A National Enquirer report early Wednesday had accelerated fans’ anxiety by noting that pancreatic cancer has only a 5%-10% overall survival rate.

Referring to the Enquirer report, Corbett said, “This girl is doing great, and they need to stop it.”

Franklin’s sister-in-law Earline Franklin refused to discuss the Enquirer report at all, saying only: “Aretha is doing absolutely wonderful. All the prayers and well wishes have supported her, and she’s doing well.”

Wednesday’s reports followed several weeks of mystery regarding Aretha Franklin’s condition.

After a late October stay at Sinai-Grace Hospital in Detroit for undisclosed reasons, she was ordered by doctors to cancel all public appearances for the next six months. In the weeks that followed, Franklin and her spokeswoman remained tight-lipped, declining to elaborate even as Franklin headed to another Detroit hospital for last week’s surgery.

With few details to go on, fans speculated about Franklin’s status. On the Internet and radio call-in shows, many said the lack of information from Franklin’s camp suggested the scenario was grim.

Around Detroit, rumors circulated that the singer had cancer, but until the National Enquirer’s report, no details had emerged.

Even as Wednesday’s anonymous reports lit up the Internet and made their way onto network news programs, Franklin declined to issue a statement.

Unlike most stars of her stature, Franklin has little formal infrastructure around her. She has no manager or full-time business staff, opting to handle many duties on her own — even often booking her own concerts. Last month she hired a new publicist, the latest in a series of spokespeople over the years.

Asked why Franklin is being so secretive about her illness and last week’s medical procedure, Corbett said Franklin is a private person despite her celebrity.

“It’s her private business, and she’s just not ready to talk about it. Give her time to heal. When people ask for their privacy, respect them for that.”

Friends and fans in Detroit and around the world said Franklin is in their thoughts.

“I’m just requesting prayers from the saints of God,” said gospel singer and evangelist Dorinda Clark Cole, who headlined Franklin’s Thanksgiving Day gospel feast and fest at the New Bethel Baptist Church in Detroit, a church once pastored by Franklin’s father, the Rev. C. L. Franklin.

Contact BRIAN McCOLLUM: 313-223-4450 or mccollum@freepress.com or CASSANDRA SPRATLING: cspratling@freepress.com or 313-223-4580.

I hope everyone prays for MISS.FRANKLIN.[[like myself)
    PLEASE STAY POSITIVE

Like all here at the Soulful Detroit Forums my prayers & thoughts are with Aretha Franklin and her family. I can't say much more but to say God Bless this woman who's given the world so much with her gift of song.

You guys...don't get too discouraged...we don't even know if these reports are true. Check this out:

Franklin “has a long life in front of her and will be back in concert, on stage, late spring or early summer.”

http://www.accesshollywood.com/cousi...0?__source=rss

My prayers still go out to Aretha during her recovery.

Yes, this was announced last night on NBC Nightly News.

It does not matter how someone gets any sickness, even top physicians never agree and it is not our right to discuss the rights & wrongs on what is a Music Site! those who said this was a publicity stunt by Aretha should hang their heads in shame!

My Prayers are with Aretha and her Family at this time!

If it wasn't true, you think they would totally deny the cancer claim but they haven't. All her family has said is say she'll be back on the stage by next May. That's it. That doesn't prove the cancer story isn't true. They have done nothing to debunk it. All they want is PRIVACY. That's way different than saying "oh she doesn't have cancer!"

Just keep praying for her.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    If it wasn't true, you think they would totally deny the cancer claim but they haven't. All her family has said is say she'll be back on the stage by next May. That's it. That doesn't prove the cancer story isn't true. They have done nothing to debunk it. All they want is PRIVACY. That's way different than saying "oh she doesn't have cancer!"

Just keep praying for her.
    It has been reported on the national news that Aretha is battling cancer. This morning, a local dee jay reported the news since Aretha was born in nearby Memphis. According to the jock, doctors have allegedly given Aretha less than a year's chance of survival. I don't want to believe it.
    My prayers go out to her & her family at this time.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 12-09-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Aretha can beat this!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    According to the jock, doctors have allegedly given Aretha less than a year's chance of survival. I don't want to believe it.
    Again, where is this info coming from? All sorts of stuff is flying and none of it has been officially confirmed. It makes me cringe seeing all of these articles reporting Aretha's supposed diagnosis...with no proof by the way...and then they have the audacity to add in little blurbs about the survival rates of this type of cancer. Maybe this is why she doesn't want to announce anything, because she knows that the negativity is gonna spread like wildfire. She's a woman of faith, so I know she doesn't support any of this garbage negativity. She needs our prayers and positivity. I will support her. She knows that with God, all things are possible. That's what I also believe.

Well, it's the price of fame-right or wrong....I guess you have to figure what an average person makes in a year a "Star" of the Aretha level can make in a night-so...I guess there is trade off for everything.

Off course the family didn't want this to be "out" but I am sure some Dr or Nurse was more than willing to spill the beans for the money the Rags are willing to dish out [[Didn't Farah try to sue a hospital that had a talker?)

As I recall Debbie Allen in "Fame" ..and the quote is "Fame costs, and right here is where you start paying".

Bill

I would like to think that they caught it early, and that they've treated already! Hence, the lack of official updates. Either way, I really hope Aretha can beat this. With all the male icons in Soul we've lost, I hope we don't start loosing the women for a long long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    It has been reported on the national news that Aretha is battling cancer. This morning, a local dee jay reported the news since Aretha was born in nearby Memphis. According to the jock, doctors have allegedly given Aretha less than a year's chance of survival. I don't want to believe it.
    My prayers go out to her & her family at this time.
    That's the only part I don't believe - the less than a year's chance of survival. True, not too many survive pancreatic cancer, I would just like to think whatever surgery she had was well enough that she wouldn't die before then.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    That's the only part I don't believe - the less than a year's chance of survival. True, not too many survive pancreatic cancer, I would just like to think whatever surgery she had was well enough that she wouldn't die before then.

I also thought the jock was embellishing a bit on some of the reports I'd heard. I had not heard any projections on Aretha's life expectancy. But the news of her battling pancreatic cancer was reported on ABC's Good Morning America and it was mentioned on The View. Plus, similiar reports are coming from legitimate news sources - not just the National Enquirer and other tabloids. Unfortunately, where there's smoke, there is usually some fire.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 12-10-2010 at 04:21 AM.

I'm as bummed out about what's happening to Aretha as I would ever be about anything that isn't personal.

But this is what we need to remember about Aretha Franklin, which I posted not long ago.

Yes, let's all keep Aretha in our prayers! It's hard "not" to think about her these days - our hearts are heavy.

Aretha is scheduled to be released from the hospital this weekend, her cousin said. Wish Ree-Ree the best!

Aretha Franklin
    Aretha Franklin Discharged After Cancer Treatment
    By Music-News.com
    Sat, 11 Dec 2010 15:55:43 +1100
    Aretha Franklin is to be discharged from hospital this weekend after treatment for pancreatic cancer.

The legendary singer has been told she is 'doing better than doctors expected' and has vowed to start touring again next spring.

The 68-year-old star was reportedly told she had less than a year to live after being diagnosed with the disease, which has a survival rate of just five to 10 per cent.

But her cousin Brenda Corbett has dismissed the claims, telling the Detroit Free Press newspaper: 'Aretha is doing better than doctors expected. She has a long life in front of her and will be back in concert, on stage, late spring or early summer.'

The 'Respect' singer's sister-in-law Earline Franklin added: 'Aretha is doing absolutely wonderful. All the prayers and well wishes have supported her, and she's doing well.'

Last month, Aretha cancelled all her scheduled concerts until May for "medical reasons".

Until late October she had been recording and touring, but last week released a statement saying she had undergone "highly successful" surgery but didn't disclose it was for cancer until this week.

She is now said to be looking forward to getting back on the road.

Aretha was born in Memphis, Tennessee, in 1942 and grew up in Michigan where she started singing in her local church as a young girl.

The soul legend - whose hits include 'I Say A Little Prayer', 'Think' and 'Sisters Are Doin' It for Themselves' - has won 20 Grammy Awards and had 20 number one hits in the Billboard top 100 music chart.

Like Aretha Franklin? Check out the Undercover interview with soul legend Eddie Floyd below:

The Eddie Floyd interview is there but I can't add the video here.

that Eddie Floyd interview sounds like it may be a but old. He was talking about Isaac Hayes like Isaac was still around.

Aretha Franklin Is Home from the Hospital
    By Rennie Dyball

Wednesday December 15, 2010 06:50 PM EST

Aretha Franklin

Matthew Jordan Smith
    Facebook Twitter E-mail The Queen of Soul is happy to be home.

Aretha Franklin, who underwent "highly successful" surgery for an undisclosed ailment on Dec. 2 – and is reported to have pancreatic cancer – was discharged from a Detroit hospital earlier this week, according to a statement released Wednesday.

"I've been at home for almost three days now," says Franklin, 68, in the statement. "My family and friends who brought me home are taking great care of me. I also have a private nurse who visits on a daily basis."

The singer is also optimistic about being out and about soon.

"I'm hoping to be strong enough to go out and see the upcoming Sam Cooke play at the Music Hall in downtown Detroit before Jan. 2, as well as a performance of Dreamgirls at the FOX before it closes," she says.

"The Queen of Soul is in great spirits and very happy to be home where she will be resting in anticipation of spending the upcoming holiday season with her family," her rep adds in the statement.

Despite the grim prognosis for pancreatic cancer patients, Franklin's supporters remain optimistic.

The singer "has a long life in front of her and will be back in concert, on stage, late spring or early summer," her cousin Brenda Corbett told the Detroit Free Press.

Franklin's rep has not commented on the nature of the singer's ailment.

See what other readers have to say about this story – or leave a comment of your own