[REMOVE ADS]

Cool Eleven [[11) Additional MOTOWN Album Titles by THE TEMPTATIONS Available As Downloads

Universal has quietly added 11 additional Motown album titles by The Temptations to the marketplace, all of which are available as downloads through Amazon. To my knowledge, with the exception of The Tempts's "Surface Thrills", this is the first time these albums have seen the light of day since their original vinyl album release. The album titles and their corresponding links are as follows:

Live At The Copa [[w/Dennis Edwards)
    http://www.amazon.com/Live-At-Copa-T...P7V3MC60QJBCPF

The Temptations Show [[TV Soundtrack with Kay Stevens & George Kirby)
    http://www.amazon.com/Temptations-Sh...JB2MTGX6454P7Q

Live At London’s Talk Of The Town
    http://www.amazon.com/Temptations-Li...NRDKEJTB6W6N7K

House Party [[H-D-H)
    http://www.amazon.com/House-Party-Te...JKETJN6T0MJX2X

The Temptations Do The Temptations
    http://www.amazon.com/Temptations-Do...RV37PZYB1ACZT7

Back To Basics [[Reunion With Normal Whitfield As Producer)
    http://www.amazon.com/Back-Basics-Te...8ARPTY0F4H1R5S

Power
    http://www.amazon.com/Power-Temptati...2ZR6Z9V5Y3EF2E

The Temptatons [[Produced By Thom Bell)
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Temptation...H96Z75KQQV26MM

Together Again
    http://www.amazon.com/Together-Again...JFSV9TWEB8S910

Touch Me
    http://www.amazon.com/Touch-Me-Tempt...tions+touch+me

Surface Thrills
    http://www.amazon.com/Surface-Thrill...RKE4MTQARTPSJF
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 07-17-2015 at 02:37 AM.

RossHolloway Guest
    This is exciting news!

These have been up on Amazon.co.uk since 8th June. Most are only £3.99 each!

Thanks for sharing. It's too bad we couldn't get release notifications of some kind from Universal/Motown when these get released.

Finally Power!

Great news - thanks for the alert Gary. Just downloaded 'The Temptations' Thom Bell produced album from 1981 - something I've wanted for years. Let's hope it's a sign that Universal/Motown will be working through the catalogue! We all know we also want Jr Walker! [[I know CD would be preferable [to me anyway], but download is better than nothing.)

With the addition of theme albums "A Bit of Liverpool", "sing Country, Western & Pop" and "We Remember Sam Cooke", I believe that also completes The Supremes discography.

It took almost a decade, but, now iTunes and Amazon Digital Music reflect what I hoped that digital album catalogs should look like. [[Now, if only they would dig deeper in the vaults and release promised albums that never came out like "sings Disney", etc. that would be amazing. Mr. Weinger has played for me more tracks from Diana's Cocoanut Grove debut where "Something on My Mind" came from. And it would be great to have audio versions of Diana's first HBO special and a cleaned up audio version of Central Park. "The Complete Stevie Wonder" iTunes exclusive was a bit of a disappointment. I would love to hear whatever was recorded on Wonderlove or all those sequels like "Fullingness Second Finale" or "Conversation Peace II").

Though I am also a big Temptations fan, I don't know offhand of any unreleased albums that now could be scheduled digitally. Maybe even bigger Temps fans could enlighten us on possible unreleased titles in the vaults that they have been waiting for.
    Last edited by Bokiluis; 07-17-2015 at 12:59 PM.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    With the addition of theme albums "A Bit of Liverpool", "sing Country, Western & Pop" and "We Remember Sam Cooke", I believe that also completes The Supremes discography.

It took almost a decade, but, now iTunes and Amazon Digital Music reflect what I hoped that digital album catalogs should look like. [[Now, if only they would dig deeper in the vaults and release promised albums that never came out like "sings Disney", etc. that would be amazing. Mr. Weinger has played for me more tracks from Diana's Cocoanut Grove debut where "Something on My Mind" came from. And it would be great to have audio versions of Diana's first HBO special and a cleaned up audio version of Central Park. "The Complete Stevie Wonder" iTunes exclusive was a bit of a disappointment. I would love to hear whatever was recorded on Wonderlove or all those sequels like "Fullingness Second Finale" or "Conversation Peace II").

Though I am also a big Temptations fan, I don't know offhand of any unreleased albums that now could be scheduled digitally. Maybe even bigger Temps fans could enlighten us on possible unreleased titles in the vaults that they have been waiting for.
    It would have been great to have had that first concert included with her first solo album expanded edition.

We still await Live at London's Talk of the Town and the G.I.T. soundtrack, as well as gems like 25th Anniversary and The Never-Before-Released Masters.

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    These have been up on Amazon.co.uk since 8th June. Most are only £3.99 each!
    Yes I bought them then

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    We still await Live at London's Talk of the Town and the G.I.T. soundtrack, as well as gems like 25th Anniversary and The Never-Before-Released Masters..
    I love "Live at London's Talk of the Town". The 1994 Remastered CD elevated the quality of that album.Though I now look for the "remastered for iTunes", I cannot say I can tell an appreciable different in sound.When I heard other cuts from Diana's Cocoanut Grove debut, the expanded CD had already been released.

I love "Live at London's Talk of the Town". The 1994 Remastered CD elevated the quality of that album.Though I now look for the "remastered for iTunes", I cannot say I can tell an appreciable different in sound.When I heard other cuts from Diana's Cocoanut Grove debut, the expanded CD had already been released.
    Bokiluis, be careful if you're looking to replace an existing CD with an updated download. According to Keith [[or one of the guy from Universal), they sometimes use the existing CD as the source for the download. You may think you're buying the latest, greatest version of a remastered recording, when you're actually buying a download which is s generation older than your CD.

I'm sure that Power is not the best album by The Temptations, but I cannot help be totally excited for finally hearing it again... I haven't heard it in ages [[with the exception of the song Power) and I used to love the album back in the 1980s: Particularly How Can I Resist Your Love and I'm Coming Home! Wonderful to hear those songs again!

We still await Live at London's Talk of the Town and the G.I.T. soundtrack, as well as gems like 25th Anniversary and The Never-Before-Released Masters.
    Forgot to mention Motown at the Hollywood Palace.

The Temptations’ "Wings Of Love" album was also released as a download a few months back. For the benefit of those who may have missed it, here’s the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Wings-Love-Tem...GFQ349C26XTGA8

Are my ears playing tricks on me, or has anyone else noticed that the latest batch of Motown downloads -- specifically The Temptations albums which I posted at the top of this thread -- weren't all remastered at the same impressive volume as usual? Some are okay, but a few are sorely lacking. In fact, the volume level of some tracks WITHIN a given album title vary from track to track. I can solve the problem by taking the CD that was burned on my PC from the download and re-burn it on my independent CD recorders which contain a volume-level control allowing me to increase the volume. However, it's a whole extra step that I wasn't planning on.

Also, after I purchased and downloaded all of the above album titles by The Tempts, I discovered that "Surface Thrills" had already been released on CD, so I ordered it. When it arrived, my heart sank when I noticed that it was on the PTG label which means that it was remastered from vinyl. But the heartsick feeling didn't last long. That needle-drop CD sounds fantastic! I would swear on a stack of Bibles that Motown remastered it from the master-tapes. When I compared it with the downloaded version, the difference was like night and day. I immediately ditched the downliad-To-CD disc. Soulster, if you're reading this -- you were right. When done properly, a needle-drop can indeed sound as good as a master-tape remaster.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else has noticed the difference. Up 'til now, 99% of Motown's downloads have sounded excellent. I hate to see the quality slipping.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 07-20-2015 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Bokiluis, be careful if you're looking to replace an existing CD with an updated download. According to Keith [[or one of the guy from Universal), they sometimes use the existing CD as the source for the download. You may think you're buying the latest, greatest version of a remastered recording, when you're actually buying a download which is s generation older than your CD.
    Philles/Motown Gary, thanks for the tip. However, I would download it primarily for collecting purposes. For me personally, the 1994 remaster of "Talk of the Town" is the ultimate sonic experience of that album. That quality also transfers beautifully from ripping the CD into my digital library. [[When I combine the power of my home stereo system with that 1994 remaster, it takes the album to new levels of enjoyment. Even the hits medleys sound great and not sooo Vegas-y).
    It far exceeds "The Copa" including the Expanded version. Perhaps because of Motown releasing too many new albums around the same time, and even on the same day...."Talk of the Town" never got its true props, except in the U.K. where it peaked at #6. Both "Talk of the Town" and "sings Funny Girl" became lost in the deluge of releases.

And don't forget : the Temptations "Touch Me" album will also released on CD in Japan next month:
    http://www.universal-music.co.jp/p/UICY-77405

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    The Temptations’ "Wings Of Love" album was also released as a download a few months back. For the benefit of those who may have missed it, here’s the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Wings-Love-Tem...GFQ349C26XTGA8
    Oddly enough, I have never listened to that album. But the album art is simply beautiful....a touch of Erte' and Chareau. I wanted to frame it.

Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. It's too bad we couldn't get release notifications of some kind from Universal/Motown when these get released.
    You're very welcome. And I agree. We've begged and pleaded for someone to let us know as these titles become available, but to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    Great news - thanks for the alert Gary. Just downloaded 'The Temptations' Thom Bell produced album from 1981 - something I've wanted for years. Let's hope it's a sign that Universal/Motown will be working through the catalogue! We all know we also want Jr Walker! [[I know CD would be preferable [to me anyway], but download is better than nothing.)
    You're welcome, Alan. And yes -- we need new reissues of several of Jr. Walker's albums, The Undisputed Truth's albums, and albums by The Originals which never saw a CD release. And yes, absolutely, like you, I prefer they be released on CD as opposed to downloads, but I wouldn't count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    I'm sure that Power is not the best album by The Temptations, but I cannot help be totally excited for finally hearing it again... I haven't heard it in ages [[with the exception of the song Power) and I used to love the album back in the 1980s: Particularly How Can I Resist Your Love and I'm Coming Home! Wonderful to hear those songs again!
    Yeah, Jaap, I, too, was thrilled to see "Power" get re-released. Actually, all of The Tempts' titles from above are welcome additions to my Motown collection.

Quote Originally Posted by mjdestiny View Post
    And don't forget : the Temptations "Touch Me" album will also released on CD in Japan next month:
    http://www.universal-music.co.jp/p/UICY-77405
    Hey, thanks for the tip, mjdestiny! I wasn't aware of that. Thanks to you, I just ordered my CD copy on eBay!

Bokiluis, I, too, love DRATS "Live At London's Talk Of The Town" even better than "Live At The Copa". By 1968, thanks to Gil Askey, The Supremes' and Motown's live-performance sound had become much more thrilling and sophisticated. It showed in every groove of that album. And, you're right, the CD sounds superb!

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    This is exciting news!
    Yes, indeed, Ross!

Forgot to mention Motown at the Hollywood Palace.
    Sansradio, "Motown At The Hollywood Palace" was reissued on CD several years back. You may still be able to find a copy on Amazon or eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokilu[B[/B
    is;293215]Oddly enough, I have never listened to that album. But the album art is simply beautiful....a touch of Erte' and Chareau. I wanted to frame it.
    "Wings Of Love" was a strange bird. Side 1 had the same funk as was contained in The Tempts' previous excellent album "A Song For You" [[i.e., "Happy People" and "Shaky Ground". Side 2 of "Wings Of Love", however, was another story. I didn't like it at all. Still glad to finally have it back in my collection, though.

I am curious as to what the hold up is on other classic motown albums that have not made it to see a cd/digital download release.

Good question, Aaron. At the top of many people's Motown want-lists are the remaining albums by Jr. Walker, The Originals, and The Undisputed Truth. I could understand the omission if it were rare, unknown artists, but these were major-league Motown artists. Why their catalog has been so ignored is anyone's guess -- especially since we've been requesting these titles for years.