[REMOVE ADS]

An annoying plagiarism suspicion

I heard something on the radio today and as always, I know that SOMEONE on here will come to the rescue. It was a song in which I instantly recognized the tune, but the lyrics were nowhere near what I associated with that tune. But the most frustrating part of all is that I cannot get this copycat version out of my head enough to identify the original song that they so obviously copied.

Singer[[s) were male, and this song, knowing what I know about the station I was on, could have been anywhere from an 80s song to something current. There were two distinct parts to it.

In the first part, which was repeated about three times during the song, there is this odd lyric that goes something like "I love you more than I love my peeps." That part of the song is the part that seems so obviously plagiarized.

In between those verses, the style of the song changes abruptly to something Jamaican or reggae, and maybe even a new vocalist takes over. That part of the song contains an even more distinctive lyric, which is why I am so sure that someone on here will recognize it. That lyric is something to the effect of "she stood by me through my incarceration."

So apparently the message of the song is about a guy thanking his girl for standing by him. So does anyone know this song, and more importantly, what is the much more familiar song that they so obviously copied?

Don't let me down guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    i heard something on the radio today and as always, i know that someone on here will come to the rescue. It was a song in which i instantly recognized the tune, but the lyrics were nowhere near what i associated with that tune. But the most frustrating part of all is that i cannot get this copycat version out of my head enough to identify the original song that they so obviously copied.

Singer[[s) were male, and this song, knowing what i know about the station i was on, could have been anywhere from an 80s song to something current. There were two distinct parts to it.

In the first part, which was repeated about three times during the song, there is this odd lyric that goes something like "i love you more than i love my peeps." that part of the song is the part that seems so obviously plagiarized.

In between those verses, the style of the song changes abruptly to something jamaican or reggae, and maybe even a new vocalist takes over. That part of the song contains an even more distinctive lyric, which is why i am so sure that someone on here will recognize it. That lyric is something to the effect of "she stood by me through my incarceration."

so apparently the message of the song is about a guy thanking his girl for standing by him. So does anyone know this song, and more importantly, what is the much more familiar song that they so obviously copied?

Don't let me down guys!!!!
    david,this could have come from any number of songs down through the years,one that comes to mind is[i can't work no longer-billy butler and the chanters-1965]about a guy just released from prison and on his way to his woman, i hope this helps.

I'll bet the song you heard was "Angel" by Shaggy. The song that it riffed was "Angel In The Morning" by Juice Newton. The lyrics seem to match [[they can be found by hitting this link): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NX7aeFVqro

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NX7aeFVqro" data-cke-saved-href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NX7aeFVqro">

Was there ever any doubt?????? That someone on here would know!!!!!

So yes that is it and I am not sure I would have ever figured it out without your help. Thanks so much!

Not a problem. I've learned a lot on these boards and I'm glad to contribute.