[REMOVE ADS]

It's Back! Grace Under Pressure--Mary/Cindy/Scherrie/THE NATIONAL ANTHEM - Live! 1975

Wow! Now that is an impressive vocal performance, babe. I hadn't seen that clip before, babe.

S_S, you're killin' me! Very funny post.

So glad you enjoyed the clip. Mary remained very calm and knew exactly how she had to handle it. Cindy and Scherrie did, too. And they sounded just beautiful, and the rendition turned out to be so much more than they probably would have imagined because of their professionalism. Truly astouding performance as they didn't hesitate for a second and just moved forward. Really inspiring; a remarkable career moment.

[[P.S.: My thread is thread-bare without you, babe. [[Oh, needle me, will ya?!!))

Professionalism is the word. I had not seen this clip before and I was fairly stunned, the performance is quite incredible. And right there on demand under less than optimal conditions, they deliver heaven. Such an incredible moment. My mind and soul have felt like this.

I think we're so taken with this performance because we seem to be seeing the culmination of their professional careers--everything they've gone through and experienced and learned--suddenly brought to the forefront in an awkward moment that they simply and effortlessly turned into something glorious. Humming a note to get their key heralded it all and really did set the 'tone' of what was about to transpire. It could not have been more powerful or beautiful because we got to see that Mary, Cindy, and Scherrie are the music. More than supreme--it was serene.

I agree with everyone,The Supremes Mary Wilson Cindy Birdsong and Scherrie Payne sound great here,no music,acapella,they're voices are incredible,They are Motown Royalty.
    Last edited by REDHOT; 07-09-2015 at 01:22 PM.

Beautiful! Did Mary move to the middle for a technical reason? Is that other clip still available when they also sang Star ...?....couldn't find it.

supremester Guest
    They sound fantastic - and Cindy looks amazing. Why is Mary in the middle? LOL........ Let's not go there. Why is Mary ALWAYS the focus on TV?????

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    They sound fantastic - and Cindy looks amazing. Why is Mary in the middle? LOL........ Let's not go there. Why is Mary ALWAYS the focus on TV?????
    Hey, I think by then she'd earned the right to the middle spot regardless of who was singing lead. I'd say her own stamina at keeping the group going gave her that right if nothing else!

It just shows how professional, experienced and truly talented they were.

She moved to the middle so they could be in alphabetical order.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Beautiful! Did Mary move to the middle for a technical reason? Is that other clip still available when they also sang Star ...?....couldn't find it.
    The sang it a few months earlier for an NFL game broadcast nationally. I think it was a Patriots game in 1974.

supremester Guest
    That may be - but it's EXACTLY the kind of thing she'd have made a big, negative issue about in her book if Diana had done the exact same thing. Regardless, wowza do they sound great or what??? Mary's voice is the absolute perfect foundation for harmony.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Hey, I think by then she'd earned the right to the middle spot regardless of who was singing lead. I'd say her own stamina at keeping the group going gave her that right if nothing else!

Yes..I remember Cindy kind of coordinating it then. Mary was typically in middle with Flo and Diana too. Her altogether was an anchor.

Glad the people here,didn't fall for it,he tryed to get it going,but didn't get the respond,he wanted,what a clown,you're so nice and nasty lmao
    Last edited by REDHOT; 07-10-2015 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I would imagine Mary would have insisted on being positioned in the middle. She had earned that right having been a Supreme for so long. She may not have possessed the best voice ever but she looked quite stunning and was truly supreme.

In the other clip I believe Cindy is in the middle.

I don't see it as an issue for Mary being in the middle. From all of the Supremes videos from start to end that I've seen, Mary is in the middle for more than half of them

supremester Guest
    Mary has a great voice, IMO, just not for pop lead vocals. Her ballad work and standards can be quite effective and her rich alto is essential to The Supremes' harmony and bg work - especially with Flo. Even after Flo left and Mary became more prominent in the bg sound live - that rare richness sounded great. As far as her in the middle, she was there the longest, but I think it's best to think of the group first and in this case, IMO, Cindy looked the best of the 3 and shooda been in the middle - it just looked odd for her to move like that. But that's so nit picky - the group sounds sensational.

Have you seen Mary's Lena Horne show?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I would imagine Mary would have insisted on being positioned in the middle. She had earned that right having been a Supreme for so long. She may not have possessed the best voice ever but she looked quite stunning and was truly supreme.

My guess--and it's only a guess--is that Mary might have re-positioned herself into the middle spot because there was only one microphone and with Cindy's beautiful high voice and Scherrie's wide range and powerful one , having Mary's beautiful deep voice closest to the microphone simply ensured that her voice wouldn't get lost amongst Cindy's and Scherrie's, and the great harmony they were producing would be maintained for people to hear. In this video, Mary handled herself with the utmost savoir-faire and finesse; even when Cindy took off her jacket, Mary instinctively took it to hold for her, helping her, being totally in the moment and being a true member of the group. The real story here is how beautifully Mary, Cindy, and Scherrie all accounted for themselves, how they were undeniably there for each other, and how gorgeous they sounded. To me, it was an absolutely sensational moment in their careers, one of professionalism and one of comraderie. I have always loved the glitz and the glamour of all the Supremes but I've never seen or heard them be quite as beautiful as this.

Methuselah2 you said it best,your post is on point.

I hope we get a really nicely mastered version of that on a "Supremes 70s Lost and Found" someday. Oh well, I can dream, can't I?

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Methuselah2 you said it best,your post is on point.
    Thank you, Redhot. Much appreciated.

I hope we get a really nicely mastered version of that on a "Supremes 70s Lost and Found" someday. Oh well, I can dream, can't I?
    I'm with you, Kenneth. It would be a great thing to have. I'm very glad that it now is back on YouTube after having been removed some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    My guess--and it's only a guess--is that Mary might have re-positioned herself into the middle spot because there was only one microphone and with Cindy's beautiful high voice and Scherrie's wide range and powerful one , having Mary's beautiful deep voice closest to the microphone simply ensured that her voice wouldn't get lost amongst Cindy's and Scherrie's, and the great harmony they were producing would be maintained for people to hear. In this video, Mary handled herself with the utmost savoir-faire and finesse; even when Cindy took off her jacket, Mary instinctively took it to hold for her, helping her, being totally in the moment and being a true member of the group. The real story here is how beautifully Mary, Cindy, and Scherrie all accounted for themselves, how they were undeniably there for each other, and how gorgeous they sounded. To me, it was an absolutely sensational moment in their careers, one of professionalism and one of comraderie. I have always loved the glitz and the glamour of all the Supremes but I've never seen or heard them be quite as beautiful as this.
    Well, at a loss for words, post is 100%! You said it best.

Oh yes! How good would that be? I have been dreaming of a! 70's lost and found for many years and i fear i shall still be dreaming of it many years from now. We know there are still many Jean led songs in the vault. Maybe Ace records could do it now hip-o-select no longer do. It would be wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Oh yes! How good would that be? I have been dreaming of a! 70's lost and found for many years and i fear i shall still be dreaming of it many years from now. We know there are still many Jean led songs in the vault. Maybe Ace records could do it now hip-o-select no longer do. It would be wonderful.
    Yep, I guess Ace is the place!

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Here is the other version with Cindy in the middle. I think you were spot on as to why Mary was in the middle. With Mary in the middle closest to the mike, her beautiful , deep voice blending in perfectly with the other voices to create one beautiful harmonious voice. I think the accapello version is superior to this version. And with the surprise of no accompaniement , none of them panicked and they performed beautifully.

Okay, we gotta have both versions on the "Lost and Found" set. Are you listening, Ace?

Wow, they sound fantastic. And I love the guys' hair styles in the second clip! Is this Miami and San DIego?

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Well, at a loss for words, post is 100%! You said it best.
    Thank you, DMG. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Here is the other version with Cindy in the middle. I think you were spot on as to why Mary was in the middle. With Mary in the middle closest to the mike, her beautiful , deep voice blending in perfectly with the other voices to create one beautiful harmonious voice. I think the accapello version is superior to this version. And with the surprise of no accompaniement , none of them panicked and they performed beautifully.

Thank you, Milven. And thanks for posting the other version. Glad that both versions are up on the Forum.

Okay, we gotta have both versions on the "Lost and Found" set. Are you listening, Ace?

Wow, they sound fantastic. And I love the guys' hair styles in the second clip! Is this Miami and San DIego?
    I am going to write to Ace. At the moment they are concentrating on 60's gems but it would be very rude not to turn their attention to the 70's stuff eventually. The demand is surely there.

Their voices would make even the novice wonder, "wht the hell happened to their career?". these ladies are flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Their voices would make even the novice wonder, "wht the hell happened to their career?". these ladies are flawless.
    Indeed they are my friend.

Mary Wilson also does a great job singing the National Anthem solo in the film "Tiger Town".

Attachment 9690

What happen to The Supremes Mary Cindy Scherrie's[[even Susaye) careers,at Motown,politics.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    What happen to The Supremes Mary Cindy Scherrie's[[even Susaye) careers,at Motown,politics.
    Totally politics and for that Motown suffered until it was no more................

Very nice indeed,too bad that berry's head was in the movies at this point because the supremes could've continued.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Very nice indeed,too bad that berry's head was in the movies at this point because the supremes could've continued.

All of them could have continued. If fact most of them did until today, despite Berry's one track mind at the time.

As fare as Hollywood movie business goes,they never took Berry Gordy serious,i understood,he wanted to try new things,so a lot of his artist like The Supremes suffered,and a lot of them left,yes it was all Politics at Motown.

The Supremes [[Mary, Cindy and Scherrie) were real singers. No auto-tuning here!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The Supremes [[Mary, Cindy and Scherrie) were real singers. No auto-tuning here!
    Damn right there. It's such a pity this particular line up only lasted for such a short time, and by that I mean no disrespect to Susaye. Cindy really belonged in the Supremes and she was treated badly by certain people yet remained dignified. Many people could have learned from her classy behaviour. God love her.