[REMOVE ADS]

Page 163 of 780 FirstFirst ... 63 113 153 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 173 213 263 663 ... LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,150 of 38956
    June 30th:

Happy Birthday to Andy Scott....musician and songwriter; lead guitarist and backing vocalist with Sweet....

June 30th:

Happy Birthday to Rupert Graves.... actor, 'Room With A View'; 'Maurice'; 'The Madness Of King George'; 'The Forsyte Saga'; D.I. in 'Sherlock'....

June 30th:

Happy Birthday to Leonard Whiting....actor, Romeo, in 'Romeo And Juliet'......

June 30th:

Happy Birthday to Brian Bloom.....actor, voice actor and screenwriter; 'As The World Turns'.....

June 30th:

Remembering Susan Hayward [1917-1975], on her Birthday......actress; 'Smash-Up, The Story Of A Woman'; 'My Foolish Heart'; 'With A Song In My Heart'; 'I'll Cry Tomorrow'; 'I Want To Live!'.....

Happy Birthday Westgrand!!! I, for one, appreciate all of the work that you put into doing this Birthday Thread. And I hope you have a great birthday today!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    Happy Birthday Westgrand!!! I, for one, appreciate all of the work that you put into doing this Birthday Thread. And I hope you have a great birthday today!!!
    All the best to you, WGB. This thread is enjoyed by many. Thanks for taking the trouble.
    You and Ralph and I are July birthday babies. Have a healthy and happy year. Nina

Thank you so much, 'Ms. Moe [Superstar]' - still the original First Lady member of Soulful Detroit, after all these years, and all the posts. And all those people you know....LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by 9A View Post
    All the best to you, WGB. This thread is enjoyed by many. Thanks for taking the trouble.
    You and Ralph and I are July birthday babies. Have a healthy and happy year. Nina
    And thank you kindly, Nina.

Happy Birthday again to Ralph on the 6th [Tuesday], and now to yourself on the relevant date, and hope you both have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    And thank you kindly, Nina.

Happy Birthday again to Ralph on the 6th [Tuesday], and now to yourself on the relevant date, and hope you both have a great time.

Thanks and sorry for posting on the wrong thread. Getting ditzier all the time.

Happy birthday, WGB!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Happy birthday, WGB!!!
    Thank you, Sansradio!

Happy Birthday West Grand! Have the best day ever. Best Wishes always, JOsEph

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Happy Birthday West Grand! Have the best day ever. Best Wishes always, JOsEph
    Many thanks for that, JOsEph! It has indeed been a good day

You're welcome 9A [am guessing that Nine-a is how your name is pronounced in 'real life'?]...and there's really no need to apologise! It can happen to all of us...and has. Easier to simply delete any mis-posts.....

And since 'ditzy' is not gender specific, maybe you should consider starting a new thread, so the regularly visiting members have the opportunity to record whenever THEY have a similar 'episode'....

Yes, hence ¨9A¨ is my stage name, although people will say Neena right after I´m introduced to them. Here is some insider info. Don´t tell anyone until there is a big
    announcement:

Hover your mouse over the green area and a little phrase will pop up. For each member it differs by number of little ¨boxes.¨

Ralph thinks they sound like fortune cookies. I think they are more customized than that. People with only one each get the same phrase. I have none. It´s most likely a function of your length of time as a member and number of posts.

Lowell said that the ¨reputation¨ score will also be calculated something like that. It is triggered when someone ¨likes¨ your post by depressing the star icon in the lower left of the post [that will be changing to a different icon, like a thumbs up or something.]

Nina

OK Nina, thanks for that.

It will also help anyone viewing this thread, to understand the changes.

I have been checking out the new system, and noticing it is being introduced in stages. Am now starting to feel I am getting the hang of it!

It seems similar to 'liking' on Facebook....which is good, as it will mean activity is constantly updated, and doesn't remain static.

And will give a clearer indication of who is currently active on SDF. There are a number of members on the list with quite high post totals, but who have not signed in or posted in years, for all sorts of reasons.

As almost everybody viewing on SDF at any given time now seems to be a 'guest', and not a signed-in member, I would guess that many of the 'guests' are indeed members, but who have not signed in, as they are not intending to post.

Here's hoping the latest introductions will now encourage some of them to do just that....

OK Nina, thanks for that.

It seems similar to 'liking' on Facebook....which is good, as it will mean activity is constantly updated, and doesn't remain static.

I was hoping for ¨liking¨ as on Facebook, that would show on the actual post, but am
    grateful for all that is offered. I also wanted more smiley face options, or other emotions, but I guess we have enough.

I would love to see who the ¨lurkers¨ are or, at least, where they are.

I have just 'liked' your post...so here's hoping you receive credit for that....

Yes indeed, who are all those 'lurkers', and where are they?

Years ago, to keep myself focused [I was born with the attention span of a gnat, so it's a constant battle...] I started making notes, and still do, before I go to bed each night.

Some of those viewing figures are really large, and subject to 'spikes' which are bizarre....and have regularly wondered ''how?'...and 'why?'.

The biggest example is the 'Word Association' thread.....

FYI - I tried to ¨like¨ your post above and got the following message:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to westgrandboulevard again.

Which begs the question.....how exactly does one spread 'Reputation' around?

Behind Moe and myself, you have been the third most prolific member with posts in recent months....

Some of those viewing figures are really large, and subject to 'spikes' which are bizarre....and have regularly wondered ''how?'...and 'why?'.

The biggest example is the 'Word Association' thread.....
    I found out that those ¨view¨ numbers are updated every hour. It is not
    done instantly because it would require too much computer space or band
    width or some computer speak.

OK. I remember years ago [as Ralph should] issues with comp space/band width.

9A/Moe.....

Sophisticated Soul and myself used to see which of us would be first to spot each time Word Association passed the next million views....but now it seems to happen much more regularly, and isn't the 'event' it once was.

And this thread is poised to pass a million views any time now.....

You're right!! I just looked. Everyone appreciates your efforts on this thread. It's a lot of work!!

My computer literacy is minimal, Moe....

If you or 9A knows how I could compose the content in advance [or where I could find the process set out for me to study] , and then to post it direct to this thread - as opposed to preparing it in 'real time' -, that could be helpful for time-shifting, even if it didn't save me any actual time.....?

Sophisticated Soul and myself used to see which of us would be first to spot each time Word Association passed the next million views....but now it seems to happen much more regularly, and isn't the 'event' it once was.
    Word Association thread has now just passed 17 million views....

This is not very scientific, but if you don´t want to create an actual document, here is a shortcut [?]. I use an email window as a scratch pad for grocery lists and all sorts of information I can´t remember. Sometimes I email it to myself, so it is saved and sometimes not. Perhaps you can compose whatever you wish in advance, without leaving Google for any saved files, and then ¨cut" and paste periodically or when done from that email window. Not Kosher, but useful for me.

So that's how you do GD, 9A? It's worth a try, Westgrand. Maybe save you some time?

This is not very scientific, but if you don´t want to create an actual document, here is a shortcut [?]. I use an email window as a scratch pad for grocery lists and all sorts of information I can´t remember. Sometimes I email it to myself, so it is saved and sometimes not. Perhaps you can compose whatever you wish in advance, without leaving Google for any saved files, and then ¨cut" and paste periodically or when done from that email window. Not Kosher, but useful for me.
    Thanks 9A....I often email reminders to myself, so can understood that....to a point.

So, cut and paste by email.....but how does that email then reach 'Birthday' thread?

So that's how you do GD, 9A? It's worth a try, Westgrand. Maybe save you some time?
    Nah, that would be way too much trouble. I do that in ¨real time¨ and cut and paste, edit, edit, edit. I sometimes supplement with info from Wikipedia. If I want to actually show a pictured link to a video on youtube, I have to listen to it, because often the youtube video is explained by someone in India.

Also, I try to change the infernal parentheses to single brackets when I can find them.

WGB, I forgot to mention that I open a ¨compose¨ email window and sometimes mail it to myself.

Moe, I occasionally pre-composed for Word Association so I could keep up with you guys.
    By the time I had something to contribute, the association had changed. I was still checking with Wikipedia to be sure I had the correct artist for the song, again shooting myself in the foot.

It seems to me that 9A cuts and pastes the GD posts to her own thread....and then adds extra content ['overdubs', as they would say at Hitsville hehehe], because the font sometimes seems to vary slightly.....but it's clever technology, and quick [when you know how....]

PS. It now looks as if 9A has already answered, in post above....

Thanks 9A....I often email reminders to myself, so can understood that....to a point.

So, cut and paste by email.....but how does that email then reach 'Birthday' thread?
    The text in your email ought to be in your mouse, after right clicking on it in the email compose window, then paste into Birthday thread. I guess you would have to do this for each post. Occasionally someone´s mouse is not set up to do cut and paste the traditional way. Iḿ lost about that.

It is not literally stored in you mouse, but accessed with your mouse. You can also copy and paste.
    Last edited by 9A; 07-03-2021 at 01:23 PM.

Hey, WGB, your birthday thread is about to cross the million mark. Too bad we can´t make confetti fall. That would be asking too much of Lowell. BTW, I don´t like not being able to send a ¨like¨ to whomever I want, whenever I want, but I understand why this is done. I think we can only contribute to someoneś reputation after five more contributions elsewhere.
    Last edited by 9A; 07-04-2021 at 08:54 AM.

Another thought, 9A...

While it might be thought I am 'hosting' this thread, you are of course very welcome to contribute. Time constraints mean I am able to post only the most basic information, but to which you may fancy adding further detail, at your discretion?

Also, if there are any Google Doodles with Birthday details which you feel are appropriate to any given date, you could perhaps consider posting basic details here, while adding a link to your own thread, as cross-reference for the full length versions ?

Hey, WGB, your birthday thread is about to cross the million mark. Too bad we can´t make confetti fall. That would be asking too much of Lowell. BTW, I don´t like not being about to send a ¨like¨ to whomever I want, whenever I want, but I understand why this is done. I think we can only contribute to someoneś reputation after five more contributions elsewhere.
    It's taken six years to reach one million views....the thread was intended to wish Ralph a Happy Birthday, but quickly evolved from there.

Wonder where we will all be in another six years...

So, it sounds as if I cannot 'contribute to your reputation', until I have already contributed to five others.....be they five to one person, or five separate people.....I guess we just need to learn how the system works....

July 1st:

Quote for the Day:

"I would prefer to live forever in perfect health, but if I must at some time leave this life, I would like to do it ensconced on a chaise longue, wearing a velvet robe and pearl earrings, with a flute of champagne beside me, and having just discovered the answer to the last problem in a British cryptic crossword."

Remembering Olivia de Havilland [1916-2020], on her Birthday....Lady Marian Fitzwalter in 'The Adventures Of Robin Hood'; Melanie Hamilton in 'Gone With The Wind'; Miss Josephine 'Jody' Norris in 'To Each His Own'; Virginia Stuart Cunningham in 'The Snake Pit'; Catherine Sloper in 'The Heiress'......

WGB, your contributions to the success of Soulful Detroit has never gone unnoticed. Success recognizes excellent work. Congratulations on your approaching million mark.

July 1st:

Happy Birthday to Evelyn 'Champagne' King...disco, pop and soul singer, songwriter and record producer; 'Shame'.......

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    WGB, your contributions to the success of Soulful Detroit has never gone unnoticed. Success recognizes excellent work. Congratulations on your approaching million mark.
    Thank you kindly for those generous comments, Ralph. Very much appreciated.

I'm just quietly pleased that 'Birthday' is one of a number of popular threads on Soulful Detroit to which many members have contributed, and who have shared great knowledge, insight, talent and artistry. Long may we all continue to work together in harmony.

So, it sounds as if I cannot 'contribute to your reputation', until I have already contributed to five others.....be they five to one person, or five separate people.....
    As I understood it, five separate people. Don´t trust my recollection.
    I overheard that on a speaker phone conversation between Ralph and Lowell.

[I´ll show Lowell]

Another thought, 9A...

While it might be thought I am 'hosting' this thread, you are of course very welcome to contribute. Time constraints mean I am able to post only the most basic information, but to which you may fancy adding further detail, at your discretion?

Also, if there are any Google Doodles with Birthday details which you feel are appropriate to any given date, you could perhaps consider posting basic details here, while adding a link to your own thread, as cross-reference for the full length versions ?
    That´s a deal!! I welcome participation on Google Doodles.

My understanding is that the ¨reputation power¨ is calculated with an algorithm using length of membership, number of likes -- and maybe how cute you are.

And that......changes everything

July 1st:

Happy Birthday to Syl Johnson....blues and soul singer, and record producer...

July 1st:

Happy Birthday to Victor Willis......singer, songwriter and actor; lead vocalist, Village People....

July 1st:

Remembering Andrew 'Mike' Terry [1940-2008], on his Birthday....baritone saxophonist; also pianist with The Mohawks. Session sax player for Motown, Golden World and Okeh Records, latterly arranger and producer......

July 1st:

Remembering Bobby Day [1930-1990], on his Birthday....rock and roll and R&B singer; multi-instrumentalist, music producer and songwriter; 'Rockin' Robin'......

Sooooooo close, Westgrand!!!!

July 1st:

Remembering Willie Dixon [1915-1992], on his Birthday.....blues musician, vocalist, songwriter, arranger and record producer; 'I Just Want To Make Love To You'; 'Little Red Rooster'.....