[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 780 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 12 52 102 502 ... LastLast
    Well, I thank you kindly,Arr&bee........but I'll just need to think some about your offer..

In the meantime, today July 17th, we're remembering the great Jimmy Scott on his birthday....and, while doing that, also thinking of our own Soul Sister right here with us.

If you're reading this Jeanie, let the music play.....

BTW, how is Jive Five Mary G. doing these days?

Today, on their birthdays, we're also remembering the talents of former Temptation Damon Harris, James Cagney and Phyllis Diller...while Diahann Carroll is celebrating her 80th today.

Anyone else having a birthday today?

West, if howard cosell were here he might say...my fine sir you are an confirmination of the finality of factual activity.

If Howard Cosell had been here and said that, I'm not entirely sure I'd know what he meant.....LOL

Happy Birthday today, Martha Reeves! Currently here in the UK, singing live with her sisters Lois & Delphine on prime time national TV last night, and appearing this weekend at the Beat-Herder Festival in the Ribble Valley, Lancashire..with more dates to follow.

Among those also born on July 18th were Screamin' Jay Hawkins, born in Ohio, and who 'put a spell on us'.....South African world leader Nelson Mandela, and British entrepreneur Richard Branson.

Happy Birthday, everyone born on July 18th

It would've been a compliment.

I don't mind hearing something bad, if I know it's really the truth. At least then it's sincere....but compliments are quite OK with me, too.... LOL

July 19th, and Happy Birthday to Suzanne de Passe. She's certainly been successful in her field as producer, and has taken Motown from sound to screen, even if it seems that some details were omitted, overlooked, or amended in the process.

I've just realised.....While I've seen 'Motown 25 : Yesterday, Today, Forever', I have never actually seen the other productions with which she was involved, including 'The Temptations' mini-series. Should I....?

Happy Birthday, and enjoy your day, to anyone having their birthday, or remembering someone else's birthday, today.

Hey west,you really keep up with those birthdays,cool...if you love the temps[and i know you do]watch the movie, but keep your sense of humor close by,hehehe!!!

Ah yes, I think I get you, Arr&bee.

You mean, if I watch it eating potato chips, I should expect to need a pinch of salt......?

Do you recommend any of the other de Passe productions?

Actually ms,de passe did some things that were pretty good,i can't recall em but you can google em.

Yes, I think there were several, but seem to recall that Suzanne de Passe had a hand in presenting a series titled 'The Motown Revue' starring Smokey Robinson.

I guess that would be where he duetted with Mary Wells. The clip I've already viewed was good to see, but I'm unfamiliar with the whole series as, to my knowledge, it was not televised on this side of the Atlantic.

I think it was a summer series,but good.

July 20th.....

No Motown birthdays today that I know...but then, what DO I know...., so I would indeed be interested to know if anyone connected with Motown is celebrating their special day today.

Carlos Santana, Kim Carnes and [[Dame) Diana Rigg [[remember her as Emma Peel in 'The Avengers' from the 60s?) are all celebrating, and we also remember Natalie Wood today

Hey west,is diana rigg still with us? She was fine back in the day.

Yes, she celebrated her 77th today.

Diana Rigg [[Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire!) is currently playing Olenna Tyrell in HBO 'Game Of Thrones'.....
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 07-20-2015 at 07:17 PM.

Right on good to hear...you all have alot of titles over there, i was bestoed some titles myself....king of misconduct-duke of dishonesty-master of misinformation-his royal lowness the earl of cheats...yeah west,royalty has it's place the queen wears her crown-the judge wears his robes.

I imagine you may have met quite a few judges in your time, Arr&bee.....

July 21st, and on this date were born Robin Williams, Don Knotts, Ernest Hemingway and Marshall McLuhan, all of whom have passed away - and also Cat Stevens, who hasn't....

Have a great day

Yes indeed i have and they all gave me a title and a written degree that states...if i ever see you in my courtroom again i'll sentence you to life without parole...i keep a copy in my trophy room.

Along with all the judges' heads on the wall...?

It's July 22nd and it's Chuck Jackson's birthday, which reminds me to play his Motown Anthology again. A lot of good performances of songs recorded by other artists on there, but not too many with quite the distinction of 'Any Day Now'...or did I miss something? I really like 'All Over The World' [[original version) which Chuck recorded for Ian Levine's NIghtmare/Motorcity labels.

Among everyone else sharing a birthday today are George Clinton [[Chuck is more my musical style...) and Don Henley of The Eagles.

Happy Birthday, everyone

I bet you got a copy of everybody's birth certifcates don't you,you british know how to secure those things don't be shy, does[hm]help you???hehehehe!!!

No birth certificates, just some information noted over the years of favourite people, and now currently checking for more details.

HM has asked President Obama for help in finding out when your own birthday may be. She doesn't seem curious about the actual year [[hint : but if it's before 1950, that makes you older than me) so, who knows, maybe she wants to honour you?

Oh no you don't...i don't even know how old[or young]i am and i like it like that..obama don't know either,he tried to get the records but they're sealed and locked far,far,far,far,far,far away not even the-c.i.a.-f.b.i.-nato-u.n.-the kremlin-nasa-unicef-mafia-p.t.a-naacp-ncaa-wmca-a.a.a.-twa-nba-nbc-cbs-the man from u.n.c.l.e.-agents of s.h.e.i.l.e.d.-santa claus-the wizard of oz-united nations-justice league of america...nobody gets that info...oh and nobody knows what i look like either..i'm black-that's as much as you get...bet you're related to that-sherlook hems..always snoopin!!!

Ha! Well now, I can certainly get by without knowing when your birthday is ...so, seeing as HM herself has two birthdays, we'll just say that you may like to have 365 birthdays every year [[even 366, some years) - or equally, none at all. And after all, none at all is much easier to remember.

You'd lose money on betting I'm related to Sherlock Holmes. He is a creation from fiction, and I'm most definitely created from fact.

...which proves that truth is stranger than fiction

I agree. Maybe I shouldn't....but I agree!

Hope Daniel Radcliffe can work up some Harry Potter magic for his birthday today, July 23rd...and remembering Philip Seymour Hoffman today, who would have been celebrating his 48th.....

Happy Birthday to everyone else who shares today

West....you're amazin!!!

That's nice of you to say, Arr&bee...
    [[thinks: " I wonder what he's after.....?")

Who me???...wink-wink,hehehehehehehehe!!!!!

Yes, you.......!

So who do we have today, July 24th.....

Jennifer Lopez is celebrating her birthday today, born in 1969 [[I was in college!), as is 'Wonder Woman' Lynda Carter [[born in a different year from J. Lo....).

Remembering writer Alexandre Dumas [['The Count Of Monte Cristo', 'The Three Musketeers', and more...) who was born on this date, as was female aviator Amelia Earhart, who later disappeared on July 2nd, 1937, in circumstances which remain a mystery to this day.

Finally, lovely Ruth Buzzi, star of 'Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In', particularly as the character 'Gladys Ormphby', is having her own birthday, too.

Have a good day, all birthday people

Hey west i told greasy grady about you and he wants to bake you a cake..and one for moe too!!!

Thanks, but Ms Moe Superstar and myself would rather bake our own cake, and eat it too.

West,that's the best thing you could do for you and moe...just one teeny tiny itty bitty little thing,well i kinda sorta told greasy that you and moe would come down to da hood and well sorta drop in and have a bite of his infamous[coconut cake]now when the cake is on the plate do not look directly at it[it looks back]and don't smile at it either[them cakes ain't right]and as soon as greasy grady turns his head get moe outta there and don't look back[the cake might be following you]other than that.....enjoy yourselves.

Well, arr&bee, I certainly need to ask Moe what she thinks [[unless she's already read this, in which case there may be no answer to the doorbell, so I will have to shout loud through her letterbox).... but I think Moe will consider the idea as coconuts....and may feel the same about you...!

Among the birthdays to be remembered today, July 25th - actress Estelle Getty, best known as Sophia Petrillo on 'The Golden Girls'...and Walter Brennan, a three-times Oscar winner for best supporting actor.

Very special birthday memories today of 'Benny' [[also known as 'Papa Zita') Benjamin, drummer with the Funk Brothers. An incomparable musician, who influenced so many of us [[probably still on a daily basis), and a major contributor to the Hitsville recordings which epitomise 'The Motown Sound'.

Favourite recordings featuring the drums of Benny Benjamin - ?

Make this a day to remember
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 07-25-2015 at 08:06 AM.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...west you're a hoot..now as for those b-days-walter brennen was a good one who had a long career[how many remember-the real mcoys?]papa zita, if you're a motown fan nothing more need be said,ms.estelle getty,a great actress who always cracks me up.

UMM ONE OTHER ITTY BITTY TEENY TINY LITTLE THING,GREASY GRADY EXPECTS YOU AND MOE TO SHOW UP, YOU SEE IT'S HIS ANNIVERSARY[IN FIFTY YEARS OF BEING SUED AND SERVED CITATIONS]NOT ONLY HAS GREASY NEVER HAD TO PAY UP[NONE OF THE FOLKS LIVED LONG ENOUGH TO MAKE IT TO COURT]BUT HE'S CELEBRATING THE FACT THAT HE STILL HAS THE FIRST POT HE EVER USED..AND HE'S STILL USING IT[RUST AND ALL]SO YOU SEE YOU AND MOE HAVE TO BE THERE,IT'S OUTTA MY HANDS NOW OH REMEMBER BIG DUUFUSS,WELL HE'S GREASY'S NEPHEW AND GREASY SENT HIM TO PICK YOU AND MOE UP AT THE AIRPORT...DON'T BE LATE[hide]!!!

Moe and myself are now desperately seeking lookalikes, who are not unaccustomed to danger.....

If you're a football fan, also remembering Walter Payton of the Chicago Bears, who was born on this date....as was Matt LeBlanc, best remembered as Joey Tribbiani from 'Friends' and 'Joey', as well as currently appearing in 'Episodes'.......

Yes i'm a big fan of walter[sweetness]payton, one of the greatest running backs ever,not a big fan of leblanc but i know who he is.

I'm glad I mentioned Walter first, then....

West,i kind of look forward to these b-days,you mention everybody,keep em coming...oh and by the way,big duufuss is looking for you.

I'm actually mentioning only just some, the ones I think may be most remembered, but it is often difficult to guess...and there are always many more, every single day. Quite a number coming up tomorrow......

Big Duufuss knows where to find me. I've left a cardboard cutout, right outside my door.

HEHEHEEHEHHEHEHE,GOOD ONE WEST, I HOPE MOE DOES THE SAME THING, BY THE TIME HE FIGURES OUT THAT IT'S NOT YOU HE'LL BE BACK IN DA HOOD...OF COURSE GREASY GRADY AIN'T SO EASILY FOOLED...IF I WERE YOU I WOULD STAY FAR,FAR,FAR AWAY FROM DA HOOD,HE DON'T FORGET OR FORGIVE ONCE MANY YEARS AGO A FELLA WENT ALL THE WAY TO ANTARTICA TO GET AWAY FROM GRADY'S WRATH, POOR GUY DIDN'T KNOW THAT GREASY HAS A EATERY THERE TOO,PENQUINS SNITCHED ON HIM[THEY WORK FOR GRADY]WELL THE GUY HAD WO WORK IN GREASY'S KITCHEN,YOU'D RATHER SPEND TIME IN A PENAL COLONY THAN WORK IN GREASY GRADY'S KITCHEN...between you and me that's where some of his receipies come from....RUN!!!

Believe me, Arr&bee [[see, you get 'rhyme time' here as well...), I shall be staying as far away from Greasy Grady's as I possibly can.

I've heard that the staff there wear T-shirts, with the message 'Meet The Coroner' on the front', and 'You Are So Near' on the back - and insist on measuring up the customers, before they will take food orders.

Also, Greasy's Antarctica eatery [[the nerve of that man, even calling it that...) is named 'The Frozen Waste'. With a name like that, what goes in the food there doesn't bear thinking about - but it tastes like what you might be thinking.

Among the millions of birthdays being celebrated today, July 26th, here are a few, very distinguished ones :

Mick Jagger : Sir [[quoted as saying : "Apart from the Rolling Stones, The Queen is the best thing Britain has got...") Michael Philip Jagger, the Stone who just keeps Rolling. Iconic rock star. Worth hundreds of millions in both dollars and pound sterling. Seven children, with four women.

Sandra Bullock : Academy Award winner for Best Actress, and Golden Globe winner for Best Actress [['The Blind Side', 2010)

Kevin Spacey : Academy Award winner for Best Supporting Actor [['The Usual Suspects', 1995) and for Best Actor [['American Beauty', 1999).

Appointed Honorary Commander Of The Order Of The British Empire [[CBE) in 2010, for services to drama. Appointed Honorary Knight Commander of the same order [[KBE) in 2015, for services to theatre, arts education and international culture.

Helen Mirren : Dame Helen [[DBE, appointed 2003) celebrates her 70th today. Academy Award winner for Best Actress in 'The Queen' [[2006), Tony Award winner for Best Actress in 'The Audience', [[2015), and Emmy Awards for Best Actress for her part as Police Detective Jane Tennison in 'Prime Suspect' TV series [[1996 and 2007), 'The Passion of Alyn Rand' [[1999) and 'Elizabeth 1' [[2006).

Remembering today the birthdays of :

Stanley Kubrick : film director, screenwriter, producer, cinematographer and editor. Golden Globe award winner for Best Picture [['Spartacus',1960), Academy Award winner for Best Visual Effects [['2001: A Space Odyssey', 1968) and Academy Award winner for Best Director [['Barry Lyndon', 1975)

Vivian Vance : much loved TV character actress, most remembered as Ethel Mertz [['I Love Lucy', 1951-1960) for which she won Emmy award 'Outstanding Supporting Actress' , and as Vivian Bagley [['The Lucy Show',1962-1968). Vivian was godmother to John Sebastian, of The Lovin' Spoonful.

George Bernard Shaw : Irish playwright. Nobel Prize for Literature [[1925) and Academy Award winner [[1938) for adapted screenplay for the film of his most famous play 'Pygmalion' - which later became a 1956 stage musical, and subsequent film version in 1964, titled 'My Fair Lady'. George Bernard Shaw declined the offer of a Knighthood.

Happy Birthday to everyone, on July 26th
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 07-26-2015 at 10:46 AM.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...west you're well read,oh those t shirts have been banned in all[48]states and alaska so what greasy does is print em in all black and the only way to read em is by ultraviolent light,greasy is a slick one...good b-days-mick jagger is one of my favs,the rolling stones were very popular in the black community back in the day.

Mick Jagger would be very pleased to know that the Stones were popular in the black community!

It's July 27th, Happy Birthday to our fellow member ladymystique.......and also remembering the birthday of Harvey Fuqua, Motown songwriter and producer, as well as a singer in his own right.

Just some of the recordings with which Harvey Fuqua was involved :

The Spinners : 'That's What Girls Are Made For', 'Where Is That Girl'...
    Jr. Walker & The All Stars : 'Brainwasher', 'What Does It Take'.....
    David Ruffin : 'My Whole World Ended',
    Edwin Starr : 'Twenty-Five Miles'
    Diana Ross & The Supremes : 'Someday We'll Be Together'
    Marvin Gaye and/or Tammi Terrell : 'Come On And See Me', 'Give A Little Love', 'Give In, You Just Can't Win', 'Hold Me Oh My Darling', 'If I Could Build My Whole World Around You'.......

In addition :

Bo Diddley : ' Diddley Daddy'
    Janet Jackson : 'If'
    Etta James : duet with Harvey, 'If I Can't Have You'
    The Nite-Liters : 'K-Jee'
    The Moonglows : 'Sincerely'

Singer Bobbie 'Ode To Billie Joe' Gentry celebrates her birthday today, as does actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers.

Finally, actress Lupita Tovar has survived to mark her 104th birthday today. Born in Mexico,Lupita was often seen in Spanish language versions of films, including 'Dracula' [[1931).

Lupita's daughter is Susan Kohner, who was a Golden Globe winner [[and Oscar nominee) for her role as Sarah Jane, the black daughter who wished to be thought of as white, in 'Imitation Of Life' [[1959), starring with Lana Turner, John Gavin, Juanita Moore and Sandra Dee.

Happy Birthday, July 27th
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 07-27-2015 at 09:09 AM.

More good ones west,as you know harvey was the originator of[blow harmony]in the fifties.

These days, people seem to rely on technology...which is a shame.....

Significant birthdays to be remembered today, July 28th :

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis :
    a most notable former First Lady of The United States

Joe E. Brown :
    "Well, nobody's perfect", playing Osgood Fielding III in 'Some Like It Hot" [[1959);

Beatrix Potter :
    English author and illustrator of children's books, including 'The Tale Of Peter Rabbit'

If anyone reading this is celebrating their own birthday today, make it a birthday to remember

Wow-joe e brown, many folks may not remember this funnyman from back in the day....hey west,you keep this up and[hm]is gonna have to give you a..knighthood or dayhood or rangehood or hooded sweatshirt or something hooded or she may just send you to da hood!!!

I already have a hooded sweatshirt [['hoodie'), and that's enough for me [[when the hair gets thin, you know sooner when it starts raining), so I guess I can afford to decline a knighthood.

In Victorian times, convicted criminals were deported to penal colonies in Australia. They were even sent to your part of the world, until the American War of Independence. Being sent to 'da hood' sounds like the modern-day equivalent.......

OH DA HOOD AIN'T SO BAD....[just lock down everything you own-get a pit bull and be in before sundown] AND KEEP IN MIND THAT I RUN ALL ILLEGAL-OPPS-ERR-AHEM-HEHE,ALL SOCIAL ACTIVITIES SO CHECK WITH ME FIRST AND ONE OTHER TEENY TINY ITTY BITTY LITTLE THING.....UNDER NO CURCUMSTANCES DO YOU EVER,EVER,EVER,EVER EAT AT GREASY GRADY'S UNLESS YOU SEE MY CRIM-OPPS-ERR-AHEM-HEHE,MY CORPORATE SOCIALIST SCIENTIST FIRST...OTHER THAN THAT-HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

I'll be in touch with your 'food taster', Arr&bee, and thank you!

Happy Birthday today, July 29th, to Wanya Morris, of Boyz II Men.

Also to Monica Calhoun, award nominated actress for 'Different Worlds : A Story Of Interracial Love' [[1993) and 'The Best Man' [[1999) - and to Martina McBride, best selling Country music singer.

Remembering today the birthdays of :

Peter Jennings, news anchor of ABC's World News Tonight, for over 20 years.

Clara Bow, silent film actress and 'The It Girl' from the Roaring Twenties. It has been reported that Clara Bow received more than 45,000 letters in January 1929 alone.

Benito Mussolini [['Il Duce') : Italian dictator and politician, journalist and leader of the National Fascist Party.

Happy Birthday, to everyone celebrating today

More good stuff west.