[REMOVE ADS]

" . . . , Babe" [[Specifically in MY WORLD IS EMPTY) - One Word--But A Defining One

Whenever I listen to MY WORLD IS EMPTY WITHOUT YOU, I have always been struck by the inclusion of "babe" in the song, missing from its title and yet so integral--and wonderfully jarring--to its composition. "Babe" is a real departure from the rest of the lyric and doesn't seem to follow how the song has been conceived or seem in the same vein of what has preceded it throughout the rest of the song. But I find it a great choice, at once unexpected, truly surprising, almost funny in its occurrence--especially when it would have been so easy to have used "dear" instead that would have fit very comfortably into the style of the lyric but might never have delivered the 'punch' that "babe" does. I love the lyrics of this song--moody, brooding, melancholy, and introspective. But then you run into "babe" and the casualness of the word feels like a hit on the head--and I like it. A lot. It's used for the background refrain, too. For such a beautifully conceived and produced HDH piece, "babe" is still the most memorable word in its entire lyric for me. And I can't help but smile that it's not even in the title, making it even more of a tickle and the one word in the song that I keep waiting for and anticipating, no matter how many times I've listened to the recording. In this superb HDH opus, its inclusion is part of what I think helps define the Motown Sound, and what Motown did better than anyone else.

Here's a great version on YouTube via fuTuRo1 Mix:

https://youtu.be/Z14qfKkfUV0

When Mary Wells did a cover of "My World. . ." for her 1966 Atco album "The Two Sides of" the title on the back cover of the album and on the label of the record read "My World Is Empty Without You Babe". I always thought "Babe" should have been part of the title. As you say the word is defining, and atmospherically more correct IMO.

It even look better in print with "Babe". From "The Two Sides of Mary Wells".

Attachment 9620

Interesting occurrence, S_S. Thanks very much for posting, babe.

This is quite possibly my favourite Ross led Supremes single. I just adore it.

Interesting topic. Inclusion of babe in the title could have made it sound too much like [[or even an answer song to) "I Got You Babe" which preceded it. Baby wouldn't have worked. They could have extended you to you-oo [[2 syllables).

I think the title as is stands gives it a more showy feel and fits better at the ending as in the clip [[though babe could have done just as well I suppose).

Certainly a popular song with many and varied cover versions. I do like Barbara McNair's version.

Funny thing,back in the day in my hood we didn't think that song was so hot...[babe???]eventually that motown beat won me over.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Interesting topic. Inclusion of babe in the title could have made it sound too much like [[or even an answer song to) "I Got You Babe" which preceded it. Baby wouldn't have worked. They could have extended you to you-oo [[2 syllables).

I think the title as is stands gives it a more showy feel and fits better at the ending as in the clip [[though babe could have done just as well I suppose).

Certainly a popular song with many and varied cover versions. I do like Barbara McNair's version.

Thanks very much for posting The Ed Sullivan Show performance, MysteryS. That one's a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Thanks very much for posting The Ed Sullivan Show performance, MysteryS. That one's a beauty.
    Yes indeed it was.