[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Smokey

Smokey

I will build you a castle with a tower so high...i've got sunshine on a cloudy day...nothing you can say could tear me away...i wanted to say as you passed my way...melinda's a girl who came to my world...i did you wrong my heart went out to play...hi gang,we all know and love these songs and that's the reason for this thread let's give some love to the greatest writer of lyrics ever,william smokey robinson..sometimes i feel that he gets overlooked maybe because of his stature as a songsmith how many times a day do we not hum or sing if not all then a few bars of a smokey composition or maybe think of a verse from one of his songs? His words inspired us more than the beats from his hits and that's heavy if you think about it,bob dylan called him[america's greatest living poet]but for us who grew up listening to his great sounds he was and for me is to this day...an inspiration of poetry sung....smokey robinson-poet emiritus of motown!

Did you hear and see him last night on the 2015 BET Awards? Smokey looked almost like a young kid! He delivered the very award show speech in recent memory and then sang like it was yesterday, like it was 1965 again!!!

Hey marv,remember being a teen and rapping to the chicks,remember listening to a miracles song and thinking...yeah i gotta rap it down like smokey,now i don't mean the actual verse but his songs would give you a way to present it.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey marv,remember being a teen and rapping to the chicks,remember listening to a miracles song and thinking...yeah i gotta rap it down like smokey,now i don't mean the actual verse but his songs would give you a way to present it.
    I actually lied to this girl I was after in HS. I recited the lyrics to "Daylight & Darkness" to her during one of our "moments". I told her I wrote it thinking of her hehehehehehee!!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 06-29-2015 at 09:37 PM.

You are so right. Smokey's music helped you get your own rap together as a teenager.

I will build you a castle with a tower so high...i've got sunshine on a cloudy day...nothing you can say could tear me away...i wanted to say as you passed my way...melinda's a girl who came to my world...i did you wrong my heart went out to play...hi gang,we all know and love these songs and that's the reason for this thread let's give some love to the greatest writer of lyrics ever,william smokey robinson..sometimes i feel that he gets overlooked maybe because of his stature as a songsmith how many times a day do we not hum or sing if not all then a few bars of a smokey composition or maybe think of a verse from one of his songs? His words inspired us more than the beats from his hits and that's heavy if you think about it,bob dylan called him[america's greatest living poet]but for us who grew up listening to his great sounds he was and for me is to this day...an inspiration of poetry sung....smokey robinson-poet emiritus of motown!
    He's a poet - nothing less. With a Smokey song I am drawn in my the lyrics as much as the tune, and there is always a subtle twist to both. A couple of favorites of mine:

I have no use to wear a pair of lashes or mascara
    And my eyes have natural shadows from the crying
    That I've done so much of lately, 'cos it really hurt me greatly
    when I found the love you vowed was only lying
    But I'm young, so there's still a chance, for me to find a new romance
    So, no more tear-stained make-up, for me

And of course.....

Everyday things change
    And the world puts on a new face
    Certain things rearrange
    And this whole world seems like a new place

Oh yeah, secretly I've been trailin' you
    Like a fox that prays on the rabbit
    I had to get you and so I knew
    I had to learn your ways and your habits

Ooooh, you were the catch that I was after
    But I looked up, and I was in your arms
    And I knew I had been captured

What's this whole world comin' to
    Things just ain't the same
    Anytime the hunter...
    Gets captured by the game

Genius!

What a legend this guy is, and isn't it good that we are appreciating him whilst he is still here to acknowledge it? Smokey you are a genius. God bless you.

Yes there are many great songs and lyrics,but none can conjure up emotions felt like a smokey song,for example listen to the lyrics of[i can't find]i call this gem the greatest song about lost love ever written and that's just one...smokey forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I actually lied to this girl I was after in HS. I recited the lyrics to "Daylight & Darkness" to her during one of our "moments". I told her I wrote it thinking of her hehehehehehee!!!!
    Funny Marv, did she believe you ? And then did you...you know what I mean ? ;o)

HEY STOP THAT YOU BAD BOYS...[you know that ralph keeps that paddle behind the keyboard]!!!

I had a serious crush on a cute little thing in high school, but couldn't get myself together when i saw her,well of course smokey had the answer...[when the words from my heart get caught up in my throut]it was perfect, too perfect i still didn't get he girl,but i still have the song..hehe..smokey forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Funny Marv, did she believe you ? And then did you...you know what I mean ? ;o)
    She did........and of course! That was the whole purpose behind that exercise in romantic plagiarism! LOL!

Marv...you're my hero...hehehehe!!!

It is amzing that this guy wrote a song to fit any situation dealing with romance,only smokey.

It is amzing that this guy wrote a song to fit any situation dealing with romance,only smokey.
    Smokey could write a song about having a head cold and it would work. LOL!

The best to ever put pen to paper and then to music!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Smokey could write a song about having a head cold and it would work. LOL!
    Yes he could and no doubt still can. He isn't given the recognition afforded to lesser talented individuals but at least he is being honoured by the likes of BET.

He should be honoured by the[smithsonian].

Smokey has such a unique musicality about him. His ability to create melody and turn a phrase lyrically and on its head always makes me scratch mine--how did he come up with that, how did he think of that, and how does he always make it sound so effortless? Perhaps it's because his music is so personal. Surely that's why he sings as he does--with such emotion. He's made it all seem so simple but it's as complex and layered as can be. And he's made it beautiful in so many seemingly impossible ways. He is the birdy that flies. He always was.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 07-08-2015 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by methuselah2 View Post
    smokey has such a unique musicality about him. His ability to create melody and turn a phrase lyrically and on its head always makes me scratch mine--how did he come up with that, how did he think of that, and how does he always make it sound so effortless? Perhaps it's because his music is so personal. Surely that's why he sings as he does--with such emotion. He's made it all seem so simple but it's as complex and layered as can be. And he's made it beautiful in so many seemly impossible ways. He is the birdy that flies. He always was.
    exactly,there's a smokey song for any curcumstance of the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Smokey has such a unique musicality about him. His ability to create melody and turn a phrase lyrically and on its head always makes me scratch mine--how did he come up with that, how did he think of that, and how does he always make it sound so effortless? Perhaps it's because his music is so personal. Surely that's why he sings as he does--with such emotion. He's made it all seem so simple but it's as complex and layered as can be. And he's made it beautiful in so many seemingly impossible ways. He is the birdy that flies. He always was.
    Beautifully put methuselah2.

Thank you, Bluebrock.

And fellas,remember back in tha day[pre-1968]at those good old bluelight in the basement parties,what was always the last song played for you to get that last[grind]before the lights went back up???...ooo baby baby...maybe the greatest slowdrag record ever.