[REMOVE ADS]

"20 R&B Albums Rolling Stone Loved In The 70s That You Never Heard"

Great article!

I remember reading the "Touch" review when it came out. I believe at the time RS said it was the first Supremes album they had ever reviewed.

I have 9 of the LPs mentioned, including some of the non-Motown such as Claudia Lennear, Love Unlimited and Jackie DeShannon [[though I would never classify her as R&B!). But I'm surprised how many I'm unfamiliar with. I've never even heard of Duke Williams, the Stovall Sisters, or Cory Daye!

Great to know how much music from the era there is still left to discover. Thanks for posting this, RobertZ!

Rolling Stone is a "White" publication, and its readership is predominantly White. Is that correct? Now, it is well known that Whites don't necessarily like the same R&B music that the mass Black audience likes. I'm not saying that any of these albums are bad. They're great. But, outside of the usual Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Al Green, or Stevie Wonder, or whatever, you will almost never see R&B albums from the 70s and 80s that the mass R&B audience likes.

@Soulster, I think you are saying these albums were what would more appeal to Rolling Stone's target audience, which at the time I believe would have been mostly white [[as you say) college age kids who were more into the FM groups. I imagine you are correct.

But several of these are certainly mainstream artists. The Tops, the Blue Notes, Love Unlimited certainly.

So while I think you are likely correct as far as the magazine's reach, I still think this is a very impressive and comprehensive list. I'm definitely going to seek out some of those I haven't heard before.

"Nature Planned It" is my favorite Four Tops album!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Rolling Stone is a "White" publication, and its readership is predominantly White. Is that correct? Now, it is well known that Whites don't necessarily like the same R&B music that the mass Black audience likes. I'm not saying that any of these albums are bad. They're great. But, outside of the usual Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Al Green, or Stevie Wonder, or whatever, you will almost never see R&B albums from the 70s and 80s that the mass R&B audience likes.
    It is, indeed, hence the title of the article "that you never heard"! But the piece recommends excellent music be heard; it does not claim to itemize albums into mass acceptance, R&B vs rock, etc. It is to RS's credit that they publicized these LPs back at the time of their release as well as now. I have vinyl of Claudia Lennear, Valerie Simpson, Love Unlimited, Esther Phillips, and The Supremes. Which did/do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Great article!

I remember reading the "Touch" review when it came out. I believe at the time RS said it was the first Supremes album they had ever reviewed.

I have 9 of the LPs mentioned, including some of the non-Motown such as Claudia Lennear, Love Unlimited and Jackie DeShannon [[though I would never classify her as R&B!). But I'm surprised how many I'm unfamiliar with. I've never even heard of Duke Williams, the Stovall Sisters, or Cory Daye!

Great to know how much music from the era there is still left to discover. Thanks for posting this, RobertZ!
    Most welcome! Thanks for reading and commenting. I too think the benefit of this type of article is the discovery of "new" vintage titles. Cory Day you probably know; she was the "girl singer" with Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    Most welcome! Thanks for reading and commenting. I too think the benefit of this type of article is the discovery of "new" vintage titles. Cory Day you probably know; she was the "girl singer" with Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band!
    Ahh...yes I do have one of their albums. Were they the ones who sang "Cherchez la Femme?"

As for the non-Motown titles, I have Claudia Lennear, Bernie Worrell [[I was a huge Funkadelic fan and still am), Esther Phillips, Love Unlimited and Jackie DeShannon.

The ones that sound most interesting are the Charles Watts and 103rd Street Band, the Stovall Sisters [[who apparently were all Ikettes at one time), Paul Kelly, and Linda Lewis. Interesting, I seem to recall that Claudia Lennear was also a one time Ikette!

Okay, this is too weird.

After I pulled up the Paul Kelly album on Amazon to see if it's available, look what Amazon prompts me to view as well.

Is this just good marketing on Amazon's part? Are folks who read the Rolling Stone article actually browsing all these titles together?

I guess it just revives my basic distrust of technology!

Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed

I might have to get into some of these titles! I'm only in my 30's and have found that I'm always more into "new" old music than actual new music!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    It is, indeed, hence the title of the article "that you never heard"! But the piece recommends excellent music be heard; it does not claim to itemize albums into mass acceptance, R&B vs rock, etc.
    I know, but it was a thought that crossed my mind, and something i've thought about for many years. I am allowed to think about that.

Which did/do you have?
    Luther Ingram, Jackson 5, Bernie Worrell, Luther Ingram, and The Supremes.

I totally agree that "nature planned it" is up there with the very best Four Tops albums, but I'm not sure about "touch" being one of the Supremes best efforts. It's okay but in my opinion weaker then "ro" and "nwbls". Having said that it will make me go back to "touch". I admit to not having played it in years.

"Touch" was my favorite Terrell led Supremes album. My least favorite was "Floy Joy" which was just too light and frothy for my taste. I thought some of the standout tracks on "Touch" were the title song, "Here Comes the Sunrise," "This is the Story," and "Love It Came to Me This Time." I believe it was more of a rock oriented effort than their prior [[or later) albums.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    "Touch" was my favorite Terrell led Supremes album. My least favorite was "Floy Joy" which was just too light and frothy for my taste. I thought some of the standout tracks on "Touch" were the title song, "Here Comes the Sunrise," "This is the Story," and "Love It Came to Me This Time." I believe it was more of a rock oriented effort than their prior [[or later) albums.
    Fair enough Kenneth. Different strokes for different folks. I agree with you that "floy joy" was a mediocre album. I shall play "touch" this evening. Who knows, I may be agreeing with you!

It's a shame that Touch ended up on a list like this but by the time of the album Touch, the Supremes were failing. Right On is just as good. Floy Joy was not up to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    It's a shame that Touch ended up on a list like this but by the time of the album Touch, the Supremes were failing. Right On is just as good. Floy Joy was not up to the same standard.
    "right on" always has and probably always will be my favourite Jean led album. It sounded like great care had been taken in song selection and production whereas the later albums sounded more rushed and less polished. I guess it coincided with the Supremes moving down the pecking line at Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    "right on" always has and probably always will be my favourite Jean led album. It sounded like great care had been taken in song selection and production whereas the later albums sounded more rushed and less polished. I guess it coincided with the Supremes moving down the pecking line at Motown.
    It seemed like great care was taken with Right On. Remember it had the gatefold album cover. And all the trade publications had big ads for the single and the album. But Right On did not meet sales expectations and it seemed immediately after that and with Everybody's Got The Right To Love, the slide started.

I wonder if there was already infighting in the group or if the album sales for Right On and The Magnificent Seven caused it. Or if Motown lost the leadership of Berry Gordy and everyone suffered?

I have 6 of them.

I will try to get the others.

edafan

I liked "Right On" but thought it suffered from having all original songs, kind of like the second 4 Tops-Supremes album [[though there were maybe 1 or 2 covers on that one). I think the group really excelled at certain popular songs, such as "Bridge Over Troubled Waters," "Love the One You're With," and "Come Together" [[all from NWBLS...my 2nd favorite Terrell album).

It seemed like great care was taken with Right On. Remember it had the gatefold album cover. And all the trade publications had big ads for the single and the album. But Right On did not meet sales expectations and it seemed immediately after that and with Everybody's Got The Right To Love, the slide started.

I wonder if there was already infighting in the group or if the album sales for Right On and The Magnificent Seven caused it. Or if Motown lost the leadership of Berry Gordy and everyone suffered?

All of those albums were great. All of them were popular with the black market in America and all of them were well known albums in the black community.
    I don't know what Rolling Stone is talking about, but then again they may not even know what they are talking about! There "lists" hold little value to anyone today.

The Love Unlimited "Under the Influence" album continues to baffle me that it has never made it to CD though it was a #3 Billboard Top 200 album. It was also a black and LGBT underground smash before "Love's Theme" took it to another stratosphere.
    And The Supremes 70s made several more under appreciated albums. I never understood why they didn't sell, despite having hit singles. "Produced by Jimmy Webb" was an artistic marvel to my ears. Jean's voice thrills.
    All that said, this is a good list. I need to buy The Four Tops "Nature Planned It". "Reach Out" was the pinnacle, but, now I have another album to download.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    All of those albums were great. All of them were popular with the black market in America and all of them were well known albums in the black community.
    I don't know what Rolling Stone is talking about, but then again they may not even know what they are talking about! There "lists" hold little value to anyone today.
    Which brings me back to what I posted upthread.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I bought a couple of Rolling Stone issues in the 70s and early 80s usually dependent upon if the cover artist was on that I listen to. For the most part, Rolling Stone had about as much influence with me as MAD magazine!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    For me the British publication "blues and soul" was to me what Rolling Stone was to rock fans. It greatly influenced my album purchases in the 70's and 80's. Rolling Stone were not interested in soul music so it was a worthless publication in my eyes. Therefore I remain underwhelmed by their opinions to this very day.