[REMOVE ADS]

Alternative Mix: Martha & the Vandellas/NO MORE TEARSTAINED MAKE UP

Written by Wm. 'Smokey' Robinson

https://youtu.be/EoXQ5GGLnxs

Thanks to Clash1954 for this YouTube posting.

...and found on the twofer CD, 'Dance Party' & 'Watchout!'...which are always good to hear

WGB - I was wondering if anyone would remember where this first turned up. And you did! Before I posted the thread, I checked the 50th Anniversary track listing, certain that's where it probably came from. But no cigar; no TEARSTAINED at all. Then I saw it mentioned on the twofer that you knew about. Rather than say something, I thought I'd wait to see if someone would eventually pinpoint it. And in the blink of an eye, you did! Good show! [[Editor's Note: That blinking eye, as expected, was without half a pair of lashes or mascara--a la the song.)

I NEVER sign on this forum without application of full stage makeup.
    The competition here is far too strong.

Taking no chances. Very smart.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    I NEVER sign on this forum without application of full stage makeup.
    The competition here is far too strong.
    Wig, sequins, and heels too I hope? We have to maintain our standards, after all!
    Perhaps a blue satin bow on the bodice too.....

LOLOLOL! Those days, such as they were, have looooong gone.....

I did wear a sizeable blue velvet bow tie [[very occasionally, satin), toning with embroidered plain shirt fronts, when working in London in the 1970s...with very high, platform heeled boots from Ravel [[fell right down the steps of Knightsbridge Tube station one night, trying just too hard to be glamorous after leaving work...).

The hair was long David Cassidy style, and needed hairdresser attention twice-weekly to conform to work standard.....and no, the tie was at my throat, not in my hair, a la Marvelettes 'Don't Mess With Bill'...LOLOL

Yep, I had burgundy suede platforms, with [[obviously) stack heels, flared jeans, and a scoop-neck top, [[ie a T-shirt, but with long flared sleeves!) All very elegant [[I thought) except in the wind and rain!

I had yet to discover that The Marvelettes also wore bows.....I thought it was just MR&TVs...

And those jeans and trousers had to be tight.....!

The Marvelettes appearance on 'Hullabaloo', 1965, 'Don't Mess With Bill' [[e.g. it's on Definitive Performances DVD)- remains, for me, the last word in bows. You just can't miss them....
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 07-07-2015 at 08:18 AM.

RossHolloway Guest
    I love both versions of this song. One of Martha & The Vandella's best slow tempo songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpmoves View Post
    Wig, sequins, and heels too I hope? We have to maintain our standards, after all!
    Perhaps a blue satin bow on the bodice too.....

Just a standout album and one of my favorites especially with the Gordy script label...

I remember buying the WATCHOUT! album for $.69 at Woolworth's, back in the 70s. It used to be so much fun going to Woolworth's and Bradlees, and going through the $1.99 cut-out bin. You never knew what you might find.

And those jeans and trousers had to be tight.....!

The Marvelettes appearance on 'Hullabaloo', 1965, 'Don't Mess With Bill' [[e.g. it's on Definitive Performances DVD)- remains, for me, the last word in bows. You just can't miss them....

This the kind of thing you mean? Fabulous!

Exactly! And every time I see this photo, I think...remove the bows, change the hair a little...and the photo could have been taken today, not 50 years ago...

Exactly! And every time I see this photo, I think...remove the bows, change the hair a little...and the photo could have been taken today, not 50 years ago...
    Quite so. It's because it's a classic look that was and always will be cool. There's a feline quality to the Marvelettes that I particularly like. It's there in this photo, and in their sound too. The Velvelettes have it as well.