[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: King Curtis

King Curtis

King Curtis is going to be the subject on this week's "What Ch'all Know 'bout That Thursday" podcast. I already have a decent amout of info, including his tragic murder, but I'm looking for a definitive list of the tracks he played on as a sideman. Any help would be much appreciated!

Check these out ....
    "https://books.google.com/books?id=3rbI_DJ6PZEC&pg=PA189&dq=king+cur tis&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CEUQ6AEwCGoVChMI8L Pn-o2SxgIVwaCACh1Hmwt5#v=onepage&q=king%20curtis& amp;f=false" target="

​He was the contractor for Atlantic Records and produced 2 albums for Freddie King.He's playing on the Coasters and Arethas albums.He played in Lionel Hamptons Band in the 50's
    Last edited by daddyacey; 06-15-2015 at 01:25 PM. Reason: add

I hear the name King Curtis and it sends a musical chill through my soul. Along with Lee Allen, King Curtis set the tone for modern Tenor Saxophone players in rock music. Soul Serenade, Soul Twist, and Memphis Soul Stew are perhaps his most well known recordings as a front man, but his work with The Coasters [[Yakity Yak, etc) was the work that put his name on the face of the rock music map and virtually changed the course of Saxophone in rock and roll music...

Well put, Stu.

Here it is, apologies for all the breathing and swallowing in the beginning.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kitt/wh...ay-king-curtis

Actually Stu, I love the guitar licks on Soul Twist. Very tasty

Stu, I hear the name King Curtis and I cringe at thought of t his mean, foul-mouthed nasty man, lol..................
    I saw him at the Palm Cafe in Harlem [[1966) when he was playing with the house band and believe me he created that rep for himself. Ewww.............. Talk about a mean S.O.B. walking around with a chip on his shoulder pissed off all the time at the world.

S.S.

Ralph...That tune came on the XM radio when I was driving home from out of town yesterday...Nasty licks all around...

Sis...I guess KC met his death in a violent way too...but perhaps that nastiness was directed into his music, and he was such a unique and creative stylist and as I mentioned, set the style for so many horn players in the early days of R&R and much of that continues today...

Based on what S.S posted, I guess King Curtis was what you would call, A Jerk with a heart of gold. He owned the brownstone where he was killed and I believe he had tenants there as well.

Apparently he confronted a couple of drug dealers hanging around the front of his residence and was stabbed to death...

great vid from back in the day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Loy55z4GpA

On those clips, a very young Bernard Purdie on drums. Jerry Jermmott on bass and Cordell Dupree on guitar. Monsters all.