[REMOVE ADS]

Walter Jackson - can it possibly be that this man has never had his own thread here?

Probably a very long time ago. On the old forum. Anyway, I've always loved his sound...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Probably a very long time ago. On the old forum. Anyway, I've always loved his sound...
    "Majestic" is, I think, the word!

Walter Jackson is one of the top vocalists of all time, in my opinion, he never got the recognition a Jackie Wilson or others of his day got.
    I've always loved Sir Walter, saw a couple of his performances in 1966 at the Branford in Newark and the Howard theaters in D.C. when he was singing "My Ship Is Coming In" and one of my favs of the era "Speak Her Name". Walter was a great talent who never got the full exposure he deserved. His music has always been on my playlist.

Thanks for remembering this great vocalist.

S.S.

Walter Jackson was somewhat a "quiet sensation". I travelled extensively at the time of his resurgence in the mid to late 70s. It seemed that friends in different cities around the US had his albums despite the fact that he received minimal radio air time.

This man was a real talent. One of my favorite articles on him was an interview where he discussed the number of panties thrown at him while performing. The man was a mover despite his polio affliction.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Sister View Post
    Walter Jackson is one of the top vocalists of all time, in my opinion, he never got the recognition a Jackie Wilson or others of his day got.
    I've always loved Sir Walter, saw a couple of his performances in 1966 at the Branford in Newark and the Howard theaters in D.C. when he was singing "My Ship Is Coming In" and one of my favs of the era "Speak Her Name". Walter was a great talent who never got the full exposure he deserved. His music has always been on my playlist.

Thanks for remembering this great vocalist.

S.S.
    By request of Ms. S.S. - hoping we hear more about her memory of seeing Mr. Walter Jackson live!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDzP9vXplog

Thanks RobertaZ,
    Walter has so many good records, like "Funny, Not Much", "Welcome Home", "What Would You Do", & "Tell Me Where It Hurts" my favs, and many others too.....................

S.S.

Sir walter's voice was second to none.

The only video of Walter as far as I am aware..... singing Welcome Home

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    Walter Jackson was somewhat a "quiet sensation". I travelled extensively at the time of his resurgence in the mid to late 70s. It seemed that friends in different cities around the US had his albums despite the fact that he received minimal radio air time.

This man was a real talent. One of my favorite articles on him was an interview where he discussed the number of panties thrown at him while performing. The man was a mover despite his polio affliction.
    That's an interesting story; it's funny how the less-noted talents have these "pockets" of fans. I wish I could find the interview you are referring to!

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    The only video of Walter as far as I am aware..... singing Welcome Home
    WOW! Great find; thanks! Clever how they have him sitting in the audience seats - I love that song.

Absolutely one of the greatest, who has more or less gone unrecognisd. Good candidate for Unsung.

Quote Originally Posted by imnokid View Post
    Absolutely one of the greatest, who has more or less gone unrecognisd. Good candidate for Unsung.
    YES! Agree there. Are you familiar with the Okea collections? I think there are/were 3 volumes.

Kevin,
    It's both sad and unfortunate a quality vocalist like Walter doesn't ever get the recognition he deserves in a world where fast, loud, and wild teenage geared music is what's promoted to popularity.
    Walter like Jimmy sings adult songs related to real life situations. I seriously doubt UNSUNG would ever feature an artist that is so sensitive to the lyric such as a Walter Jackson or a Jimmy Scott. That's just the world we live in, faced paced and no one has time to see the beauty of life. They just don't get it. Too deep for most.
    So glad for the Walter Jackson's, Jimmy Scott's, and Billie Holiday's of the world, all tremendous gifts of God, rare treasures of beautiful gems that survived in a cold harsh world.

S.S.

Right on sis,only on this wonderful sight are there fans who know and honor those little known giant talents...sdf foever!!

Walter Jackson waa featured several years ago on this board. I believe it was starrted by Soul Sister. I remember seeing him at the Uptown years ago singing Welcome Home.

One of the great things about growing up in the sixties is that all the greats came to the howard at one time or another and[sir]walter as he was known in da hood came through with his rich baritone and we loved him.