[REMOVE ADS]

Diana's Duets: The Diana Ross Project Review

It's a shame they left out Ashford & Simpson's "Just Say, Just Say" -- one of Diana & Marvin's most beautiful duets.

I agree this was a rather poorly compiled album. It is one of the very few Ross albums I didn't bother buying at the time. Most of the Temptations "duets" included are not amongst their finest, and ditto with the Marvin duets. All in all a pointless exercise in my opinion.
    What do other people think?

Didn't Motown put this out around the time they were putting out Motown Superstars and every other compilation they could think of?

And of course, this had nothing new at all.

It was just another of their attempts to cash in.

For now, if tasked with piecing together a totally new collection of Diana’s Duets, here’s what I would include. I’d stick with true duets from her solo career [[Diana plus one other singer), and throw in a few bonus tracks from late 1960s Hollywood Palace performances as a nod to her earlier days. Of course, there would be several record labels involved here, so the likelihood of such a collection might be pretty low…still, it’s an easy iPod playlist to throw together!
    1.You Are Everything – with Marvin Gaye
    2.Stop, Look, Listen [[To Your Heart) – with Marvin Gaye
    3.Ease On Down The Road – with Michael Jackson
    4.Endless Love – with Lionel Richie
    5.Dreaming Of You – with Lionel Richie
    6.All Of You – with Julio Igelsias
    7.Missing You [[from “The Motown Revue Starring Smokey Robinson”) – with Smokey Robinson
    8.You’ve Got What It Takes [[from Red Hot Rhythm & Blues TV special) – with Billy Dee Williams
    9.No Matter What You Do – with Al B. Sure!
    10.Big Bad Love – with Ray Charles
    11.Love Is All That Matters – with Brandy
    12.Baby Love/Stop! In The Name Of Love [[from Divas 2000: A Tribute To Diana Ross) – with Mariah Carey
    13.I’ve Got A Crush On You – with Rod Stewart
    14.BONUS TRACK: I’m Gonna Make You Love Me [[from “The Hollywood Palace”) – with Stevie Wonder
    15.BONUS TRACK: Bread & Gravy [[from “The Hollywood Palace”) – with Ethel Waters

Now it’s your turn – what, for you, would make up the perfect Diana’s Duets?

I'd add:

"When You Tell me That You Love Me" - with Westlife
    "Upside Down" - with Jamiroquai
    "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" with THE DIVAS
    "Baby Love/Stop!" - with Mariah Carey
    "Falling in Love with Love" - with Mary Wilson

I agree with both of you, as well as the blogger. This project was rather slapdash in execution. On another note, it's great to see that this blogger's been active again; I've suggested that he tackle the Supremes-era discography as well. His critical analyses are usually right on the money.

I would add Manhattan because that was really Diana's closest to a duet with Flo.

SupremeBoy Guest
    There was nothing new on this album and it may have been overall ill-conceived. But I'll be damned if that isn't one GORGEOUS cover illustration of the diva. I purchased this one JUST for THE COVER!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Didn't Motown put this out around the time they were putting out Motown Superstars and every other compilation they could think of?

And of course, this had nothing new at all.

It was just another of their attempts to cash in.
    It came out in 1981, when Motown started their reissue series. It was a catalog release so I'm not surprised at its contents. Diana was red hot and Motown decided to cash in. I didn't buy it at the time, having all of the songs already. But I can't say that I dislike the album. Many of the songs on it are among my favorites.

RossHolloway Guest
    I too thought the album cover was quite beautiful, but the album also contained songs that when it was first released I had never heard: Pop's We Love You and I'll Keep My Light In My Window. I really loved the "new" Marvin & Diana duet and I can remember playing it over and over again. Does anyone know more about the background of the song?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I too thought the album cover was quite beautiful, but the album also contained songs that when it was first released I had never heard: Pop's We Love You and I'll Keep My Light In My Window. I really loved the "new" Marvin & Diana duet and I can remember playing it over and over again. Does anyone know more about the background of the song?
    I'LL KEEP MY LIGHT IN MY WINDOW was originally released in 1979 on the album POPS, WE LOVE YOU...THE ALBUM. It was written by Leonard Caston and Terri McFaddin and produced by Caston and Iris Gordy. I assume the recording was specificially done for this project as another song on the album [[Smokey Robinson's MOTHER'S SON) was another Caston composition by the same producers.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Caston & Majors released the original version on Motown circa '74:

As a compilation, I'm sure it just keeps selling.

When I saw the Soundscan list, this was still on it.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I'LL KEEP MY LIGHT IN MY WINDOW was originally released in 1979 on the album POPS, WE LOVE YOU...THE ALBUM. It was written by Leonard Caston and Terri McFaddin and produced by Caston and Iris Gordy. I assume the recording was specificially done for this project as another song on the album [[Smokey Robinson's MOTHER'S SON) was another Caston composition by the same producers.
    At the time the title song "Pops We Love you" also came out in a beautiful red heart-shaped 12" single, issued in a clear plastic cover so you could see the shaped colored vinyl. Such an unusual piece, fun to have. I don't remember what the B-side is; I imagine it's an instrumental version of the same song.

Name:  $_57=copy.JPG
Views: 724
Size:  46.3 KB
    Last edited by kenneth; 06-13-2015 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    At the time the title song "Pops We Love you" also came out in a beautiful red heart-shaped 12" single, issued in a clear plastic cover so you could see the shaped colored vinyl. Such an unusual piece, fun to have. I don't remember what the B-side is; I imagine it's an instrumental version of the same song.

Name:  $_57=copy.JPG
Views: 724
Size:  46.3 KB
    Yes, the b-side is an instrumental. I remember buying this for $4.19 when it first came out. :-)

There was also a version on green vinyl that had Diana doing a short impassioned monologue in the middle of the song, as well as a 12-inch version.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Yes, the b-side is an instrumental. I remember buying this for $4.19 when it first came out. :-)

There was also a version on green vinyl that had Diana doing a short impassioned monologue in the middle of the song, as well as a 12-inch version.
    Wow! I never knew there was one on green vinyl. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Wow! I never knew there was one on green vinyl. Thanks!
    There was one on green vinyl, I have a copy in my collection. It is a white label copy [[not marked promotional). In addition, I have a commercial regular blue map release of the Pops, We Love You. I tried to copy a picture of the green vinyl 45 into this, but I am not computer saavy enough to figure out how to do it, but if anyone wants a copy of it, send me a private email and I will email the picture that is included in an email. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    There was one on green vinyl, I have a copy in my collection. It is a white label copy [[not marked promotional). In addition, I have a commercial regular blue map release of the Pops, We Love You. I tried to copy a picture of the green vinyl 45 into this, but I am not computer saavy enough to figure out how to do it, but if anyone wants a copy of it, send me a private email and I will email the picture that is included in an email. Sorry.
    Here it is.Name:  20150613_155417.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  74.1 KB

Nice! Thanks for posting that JL2648!

You guys do have everything!

I remember when I first saw this LP,,, I thought how odd and bought it anyway. I never played it because I had every song on it already. It remains sealed.

supremester Guest
    I agree - it's one of my fave tracks ever. I never bought Duets - I liked the cover art but was too annoyed at the track listing.... UGH!!!!

My Version:

1) Try It Baby DR&TS & Tempts
    2) I'll Try Something New "
    3) Why [[Must We Fall In Love) "
    4) I'm Gonna Make You Love Me "
    5) The Impossible Dream [[TCB) "
    6 ) Fred & Ginger Medley Diana Ross & Sammy Davis Jr.
    7) Bread 'N Gravy Diana Ross & Ethel Waters
    8) Love Twins Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye
    9) You Are Everything "
    10) Just Say, Just Say "
    11) I'll Keep My Light In My Window "
    12) My Mistake "
    13) Aviation Medley Diana Ross & Bob Hope
    14) Ease On Down The Road Diana Ross & Michael Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    It's a shame they left out Ashford & Simpson's "Just Say, Just Say" -- one of Diana & Marvin's most beautiful duets.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    For now, if tasked with piecing together a totally new collection of Diana’s Duets, here’s what I would include. I’d stick with true duets from her solo career [[Diana plus one other singer), and throw in a few bonus tracks from late 1960s Hollywood Palace performances as a nod to her earlier days. Of course, there would be several record labels involved here, so the likelihood of such a collection might be pretty low…still, it’s an easy iPod playlist to throw together!
    1.You Are Everything – with Marvin Gaye
    2.Stop, Look, Listen [[To Your Heart) – with Marvin Gaye
    3.Ease On Down The Road – with Michael Jackson
    4.Endless Love – with Lionel Richie
    5.Dreaming Of You – with Lionel Richie
    6.All Of You – with Julio Igelsias
    7.Missing You [[from “The Motown Revue Starring Smokey Robinson”) – with Smokey Robinson
    8.You’ve Got What It Takes [[from Red Hot Rhythm & Blues TV special) – with Billy Dee Williams
    9.No Matter What You Do – with Al B. Sure!
    10.Big Bad Love – with Ray Charles
    11.Love Is All That Matters – with Brandy
    12.Baby Love/Stop! In The Name Of Love [[from Divas 2000: A Tribute To Diana Ross) – with Mariah Carey
    13.I’ve Got A Crush On You – with Rod Stewart
    14.BONUS TRACK: I’m Gonna Make You Love Me [[from “The Hollywood Palace”) – with Stevie Wonder
    15.BONUS TRACK: Bread & Gravy [[from “The Hollywood Palace”) – with Ethel Waters

Now it’s your turn – what, for you, would make up the perfect Diana’s Duets?

I'd add:

"When You Tell me That You Love Me" - with Westlife
    "Upside Down" - with Jamiroquai
    "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" with THE DIVAS
    "Baby Love/Stop!" - with Mariah Carey
    "Falling in Love with Love" - with Mary Wilson
    This is rather a nice list. I would have to include "Try It Baby". Wonderful gritty vocal by Diana and really should have been a single.
    It would be very interesting to observe if such a collection were released here now in 2015, would it be able to shift many copies?. Is Diana's profile still high enough to still make a significant sales splash?.

A few CDs, some online sales. They would continue all the time, bit by bit. But they won't even release CDs by these artists anymore. Recall what happened with the recent Aretha Franklin release - basically nothing.

We will just have to appreciate what great cd's came out in the previous two decades. That time has sadly gone despite there still being a market for it. I miss the hip-o-select releases so much. At least Ace here in the UK are keeping the flag flying. Hopefully they will eventually move on to the 70's stuff that is just crying out for release.

Just bought my first Ace CD.

How many of you knew that the picture on the back cover of DIANA'S DUETS was taken from an old picture of a 1940s movie star named Alice Faye? :-)Name:  1932411_1456083564623761_200198303_n.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  48.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    How many of you knew that the picture on the back cover of DIANA'S DUETS was taken from an old picture of a 1940s movie star named Alice Faye? :-)Name:  1932411_1456083564623761_200198303_n.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  48.4 KB
    I certainly did not know that!! I had heard of Alice Faye but did not know anything about her. Maybe Berry Gordy was a fan, or even Diana?

Nope! Was Alice Faye a singer?

Here's some information if you are interested, jobeterob.:-)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0269647/b..._=nm_ov_bio_sm

Interesting. I did not know that. Too similar to be a co-incidence. Is there a story behind the use of the pose?

I think the DIANA'S DUETS was originally meant to be more of a special release than it ended up being. This newly discovered connection to Alice Faye and the credit on the back to Iris Gordy for album coordination might be clues to this. In J. Randy's last book, he wrote that ENDLESS LOVE was originally slated to be a part of it.

But by the time DIANA'S DUETS came out, Diana had left the company and had already released her first album for RCA. Since Motown had already released ENDLESS LOVE on the ALL THE GREAT HITS album, maybe they reversed direction and decided to just release DIANA'S DUETS as a budget release in their midline catalog.

Amazing stuff. Good job on this Longtimefan.

Mini Bio [[2)

As A&E's Biography put it, "She rose from the mean streets of New York's Hell's Kitchen to become the most famous singing actress in the world. When the pressures of fame became too much, she had the courage to leave Hollywood on her own terms". Alice Faye was born Alice Jeanne Leppert in NYC on May 5, 1915. She was to become one of Hollywood's biggest stars of the late 1930s and early 1940s. She started her career as a singer, but later gravitated to film roles. Alice's first role was in the film George White's Scandals [[1934) in 1934 where she played "Mona Vale". Lilian Harvey was set to play the lead role in this film, but quit. Alice inherited the part. She went on to star in Tinseltown's popular and lucrative cookie-cutter musicals and, with her distinctive contralto, introduced several songs that became pop standards, notably "You'll Never Know" in the film Hello Frisco, Hello [[1943) in 1943. Her movie career ended in 1945 when Betty Grable replaced her as Hollywood's favorite musical-comedy actress. Her life after Hollywood was charmingly simple. She was married to Hoosier Phil Harris from 1941-1995 in a union that produced two daughters. She had previously been married to Tony Martin for four years. Alice had always said that her family always came before her professional life. She went back to Hollywood to make State Fair [[1962) in 1962. At that time, she said "I don't know what happened to the picture business. I'm sorry I went back to find out. Such a shame". Her last film was The Magic of Lassie [[1978) in 1978 opposite James Stewart. Most of her films are big hits at revival theaters across the country, confirming the power she had in the wonderful performances she gave. Ironically, Alice is more popular in Britain than in the US. Four days after her birthday on May 9, 1998, Alice Faye died in Rancho Mirage, California. She was 83 years old.

- IMDb Mini Biography By: Denny Jackson

I'm very intrigued that some of you have little or no recall of Alice Faye.

Alice was indeed very popular here in the UK and, at 70 years old, was invited to appear at the Royal Variety Performance on November 25th 1985, which was attended by HM Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. The show was held in London at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane - the same theatre which presented the last official performance of The Supremes, in 1977.

American artists hold a special place in the hearts of the British public, and are given the warmest of welcomes when appearing at concerts such as the Royal Variety Performance.

At the 1991 show, held at the Victoria Palace Theatre in London, Diana Ross was invited to give what was, at that time, the longest ever performance of any act in the history of the Royal Variety Performance.

I had no idea that the artwork was based on a pose of Miss Alice Faye's! That would explain the old-Hollywood glamour of the image. And, of course, Diana's face in the artwork is a rendering of the back cover shot of Diana Ross [1976], a.k.a. "The Black Album."

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    I'm very intrigued that some of you have little or no recall of Alice Faye.

Alice was indeed very popular here in the UK and, at 70 years old, was invited to appear at the Royal Variety Performance on November 25th 1985, which was attended by HM Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. The show was held in London at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane - the same theatre which presented the last official performance of The Supremes, in 1977.

American artists hold a special place in the hearts of the British public, and are given the warmest of welcomes when appearing at concerts such as the Royal Variety Performance.

At the 1991 show, held at the Victoria Palace Theatre in London, Diana Ross was invited to give what was, at that time, the longest ever performance of any act in the history of the Royal Variety Performance.
    I do recall her now that you mention it westgrandboulevard. Thank you for reminding this fading memory of mine!

Hi,
    Alice Faye is my Aunt. BTW, that photo was taken in the 1930's, she was a popular singer & movie star in the 30's & 40's. Her first marriage was to singer Tony Martin. Then to Phil Harris which lasted a lifetime.

Ironically, Big Maybelle covered one of her popular songs "You'll Never Know" and did an amazing job with that beautiful ballad. The song was written for Alice by Harry Warren and title of one of her movies. Irving Berlin wrote songs specifically for her too.

She and Jean Harlow had a similar look in the 1930's but she never liked that so she changed her look by the 1940's.

There are several of those shots from the same photo session that I have.
    I just tried to post one but for some reason I couldn't, it's been sometime since any of my photos would post to SDF, don't know what the problem is [[?)>. No matter what size or photo it just doesn't work!

S.S.

... 'yer killin' me ...