[REMOVE ADS]

The Jackson Five's "Mature Material"........

I was listening to "Soul Town" on Sirius Satelite radio today when "Maybe Tomorrow" by the Jackson Five came on. I had not listened to this song in years, perhaps decades. It made me think about how mature the lyrics and the arrangements were for such a young act.

Looking back all these years since 1971 the heyday for the Jackson Five, most people would classify them as a "Bubblegum" Soul/Pop act, but they actually recorded some really great adult contemporary songs like this one and others. What others comes to mind?

The song was intended for Sammy Davis Jr., but he left the company after his first album and single, fizzled. I read where Marvin had written an entire album he'd planned to produce for him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    The song was intended for Sammy Davis Jr., but he left the company after his first album and single, fizzled. I read where Marvin had written an entire album he'd planned to produce for him as well.
    I never knew that. I did think that the lyrics of the song were pretty grown up for kids to be singing.

Clifton Davis' work with the group gave them not only a mature sound and complex melodies, but estimable additions to their roster of hits. I'm thinking here particularly of "Never Can Say Goodbye" and "Lookin' Through the Windows." Light years from "ABC" and "Mama's Pearl."

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Clifton Davis' work with the group gave them not only a mature sound and complex melodies, but estimable additions to their roster of hits. I'm thinking here particularly of "Never Can Say Goodbye" and "Lookin' Through the Windows." Light years from "ABC" and "Mama's Pearl."
    You nearly read my mind. When I started this thread I was trying to think of more of their mature material and "Never Can Say Goodbye" came to mind.

Here's another one. I can easily imagine Marvin or Stevie singing this one:

thomas96 Guest
    "Man's Temptation" is spectacular. Bobby Taylor is a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    "Man's Temptation" is spectacular. Bobby Taylor is a genius.
    Oh you know it! I gotta go find it and post it.

Recorded in 1968. Michael, Jermaine and Jackie share lead on this. Produced by Bobby Taylor. Bobby and his group used to do this song and one day while in a session, Michael asked him "When are we gonna do one of your songs?" Michael probably didn't realize that it wasn't a Bobby original... Michael WAILS on this one. During the listening session Harry Weinger yelled over the song "HE'S ONLY TEN!!!!"

Now this one gets my vote for mature. The sophistication in the lyrics, presentation and arrangements could have easily fit artists twice their age:

Marv2, thank you. This is a nice thread.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Marv2, thank you. This is a nice thread.
    Thanxal you are most welcome and Thank you!

I thought the Dancing Machine album was one of their most mature. Marv Its too Late to Change the Time is a good song thanks for bringing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    I thought the Dancing Machine album was one of their most mature. Marv Its too Late to Change the Time is a good song thanks for bringing it up.
    Stephanie focusing on their more mature or adult contemporary material, although not as popular as say "ABC", it gives me a greater respect for just how talented the Jackson were and how hard they must have work to handle such diverse material.

As more time passes my appreciation for the Jackson 5 continues to grow. They did indeed record a lot of diverse material much of which was unappreciated at the time.

"I Am Love".

thomas96 Guest
    "Listen I'll Tell You How" is a song wise beyond little Mikey's years at the time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    "Listen I'll Tell You How" is a song wise beyond little Mikey's years at the time as well.
    Another good choice. When sang "Who's Lovin' You" my Dad thought he was a midget or something LOL!

Where do I begin... I loved their post 1973 output.... "Get it together" is a personal favourite , "you need love like I do" "I am love", "Through thick n thin" and I love the Moving Violation album. Even MJ's solo stuff from 1973 onwards. I especially like Michaels vocal in between breaking... it was quite distinctive.

Quote Originally Posted by alexstassi View Post
    Where do I begin... I loved their post 1973 output.... "Get it together" is a personal favourite , "you need love like I do" "I am love", "Through thick n thin" and I love the Moving Violation album. Even MJ's solo stuff from 1973 onwards. I especially like Michaels vocal in between breaking... it was quite distinctive.
    I actually liked "Get it Together" more than "Dancing Machine".

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I actually liked "Get it Together" more than "Dancing Machine".
    Good choice.