[REMOVE ADS]

RossHolloway Guest

Tears At the End of A Love Affair - Tammi & Marvin - 1968?

I also ran across this entry of Tears at the End of a Love Affair on DFTMC. Anyone know any details behind this one? Was it started and not completed? Did Marvin ever add his vocals?

Tears At The End Of A Love Affair [[Harvey Fuqua-John Bristol-Sylvia Moy) publ. Jobete
    Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell; recorded Hitsville-GW, completed 05-Mar-68 ; produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol ; [MPG mistake in odb]
    12-Mar-68 [acetate]; LP [[M): Q-HEM-0164/5-FNDD

Tammi Terrell; recorded Hitsville, completed 12-May-66 ; produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    25-May-66 [acetate]; 45 [[M): CCMN 0972-NHDD [with horns]
    May-66 [acetate]; 45 [[M): CCMN 0306-NHDD
    Jan-69; LP [[S): Motown S652 Irresistible
    1991; CD [[S): Motown MOTD 5231 Irresistible

16-Jul-01; CD [[S): Spectrum 544 491 2 The Essential Collection [UK]
    01-Oct-10; CD [[S): Hip-O Select B0014792-02 Come On And See Me: The Complete Solo Collection

I noticed that too. However, I hope it stays unreleased. The Solo version, as Billy Joel would say, is fine "Just the way it is"

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I also ran across this entry of Tears at the End of a Love Affair on DFTMC. Anyone know any details behind this one? Was it started and not completed? Did Marvin ever add his vocals?

Tears At The End Of A Love Affair [[Harvey Fuqua-John Bristol-Sylvia Moy) publ. Jobete
    Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell; recorded Hitsville-GW, completed 05-Mar-68 ; produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol ; [MPG mistake in odb]
    12-Mar-68 [acetate]; LP [[M): Q-HEM-0164/5-FNDD

Tammi Terrell; recorded Hitsville, completed 12-May-66 ; produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    25-May-66 [acetate]; 45 [[M): CCMN 0972-NHDD [with horns]
    May-66 [acetate]; 45 [[M): CCMN 0306-NHDD
    Jan-69; LP [[S): Motown S652 Irresistible
    1991; CD [[S): Motown MOTD 5231 Irresistible

16-Jul-01; CD [[S): Spectrum 544 491 2 The Essential Collection [UK]
    01-Oct-10; CD [[S): Hip-O Select B0014792-02 Come On And See Me: The Complete Solo Collection

I'm curious... what does this annotation [MPG mistake in odb] mean?
    MPG, the album or MPG , Marvin's initials? And what does odb stand for?

RossHolloway Guest
    @CC - I have no idea what it means.

It is interesting that the date is 12 Mar 68 and that it seems to indicate a mono LP track. Out of interest I Googled the Q reference and the following tracks also have the same reference on DFTMC [[there are probably others that didn't show):

Tears At the End of A Love Affair
    I Can't Believe You Love Me
    Give In You Just Can't Win
    More, More, More
    Baby Dont'cha Worry
    Memory Chest
    When Love Comes Knockin' At My Heart
    You Ain't Livin' Till You're Lovin'

Not sure what that proves but I found it interesting anyway.

The phrase "MPG mistake in odb" I would say refers to a mistake by Marvin on the overdub - which would indicate that he was adding his vocals to the Tammi track.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 06-10-2015 at 09:08 PM.

RossHolloway Guest
    @MysterySinger- All those tracks listed were originally Tammi solo tracks that Marvin later overdubbed and were released - all except Tears At The End of A Love Affair.

So there is a part completed "erroneous" and unreleased duet of that song - leave it where it is.

This seems like an early acetate version by Tammi [[Terrill [[sic)) and is slightly different in some respects than what I'm used to hearing.

Do you suppose this was for a proposed LP that was never completed?

The tracks for "United" were completed in 1967.

Tracks for "You're All I Need" were completed in 1966/1967 [[around the same time, or prior?) to "United".

The tracks for "Easy" were recorded in 1969.

So where does this track from 1968 fit in?

Much like "United" [["Hold Me Oh My Darling" and "Two Can Have a Party") perhaps Marvin overdubbed his vocals to create a duet version?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Do you suppose this was for a proposed LP that was never completed?

The tracks for "United" were completed in 1967.

Tracks for "You're All I Need" were completed in 1966/1967 [[around the same time, or prior?) to "United".

The tracks for "Easy" were recorded in 1969.

So where does this track from 1968 fit in?

Much like "United" [["Hold Me Oh My Darling" and "Two Can Have a Party") perhaps Marvin overdubbed his vocals to create a duet version?
    TEARS probably would have ended up on YOU'RE ALL I NEED, the first album released after Tammi's illness was diagnosed, and it has the most Marvin overdubbed over Tammi solo tracks, six in all.

By comparison, UNITED only has four, and EASY only has two.
    Last edited by reese; 06-11-2015 at 04:06 PM.

I hope they burned that recording if it came to a few mistakes made in the overdubbing, which must've been difficult for Marvin since Tammi got sicker and sicker.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I'm curious... what does this annotation [MPG mistake in odb] mean?
    MPG, the album or MPG , Marvin's initials? And what does odb stand for?
    Calling Keith Hughes!

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    The phrase "MPG mistake in odb" I would say refers to a mistake by Marvin on the overdub - which would indicate that he was adding his vocals to the Tammi track.
    I provided a probable solution above....

Apologies for my late arrival: yes, Marvin's overdub on this track is a little iffy here and there, but not as sloppy as my annotation. Maybe the recording could be, uh, "repaired" some day, some way ... or would that kind of behaviour be seen nowadays as unwarranted tampering with the Legacy?