[REMOVE ADS]

RossHolloway Guest

Up the Ladder To The Roof - Jean Terrell solo recording?

I stumbled across this interesting entry on DFTMC, where it list just Jean Terrell on UTLTTR. Does anyone know of any details?

Up The Ladder To The Roof [[Vincent DiMirco-Frank Wilson) publ. Jobete
    Jean Terrell; recording details unknown
    [rel date unknown] [acetate]; 45 [[M): [no catalogue number]

The Supremes; recorded Hitsville-GW, completed 30-Jan-70 ; produced by Frank Wilson ; arranged by Dave Van DePitte

16-Feb-70; 45 [[M): Motown M 1162 A
    Apr-70; LP [[S): Motown MS705 Right On
    Mar-71; LP [[S): Motown MS731 The Motown Story Volume 5 [with intro by Mary Wilson]
    May-71; LP [[S): Motown MS732 Motown Chartbusters Volume 3
    03-Nov-92; CD [[M): Motown 37463 6312 2 Hitsville USA The Motown Singles Collection 1959-1971
    1997; CD [[S): Britannia 530 712 Motown: The History: Funky Psychedelia [UK]
    02-Nov-98; CD [[S): Spectrum 554 147 2 Motown Chartbusters Volume 4 [UK]
    16-May-00; CD [[S): Motown 157 929 2 Millennium Collection: The Best Of Diana Ross And the Supremes Vol 2
    29-Aug-00; CD [[M): Motown 159 415 2 The Supremes
    29-Oct-02; CD: Motown 064 127 2 The 70s Anthology
    26-Apr-05; CD [[S): Motown 988 1265 Gold
    20-Dec-05; CD [[M): Reader's Digest RDCD 5081-3 The Ultimate Motown Collection - Midnight Soul
    01-Dec-06; CD [[S): Hip-O Select B0005938-02 This Is The Story
    27-Jun-08; CD [[M): Hip-O Select B0011056-02 The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 10 1970

supremester Guest
    This all important single was leaving nothing up to chance - I'm guessing they were using her vocal on acetate to get the exact sound and see what it needed. We know Frank Wilson worked with her very closely on her vocal - I don't think this was ever intended as a Jean solo - there's too much Mary, Cindy, Marlene, Jackie & Louvaine on it.

If anyone has noticed in the TITS collection, there are two separate dates for instrumental tracks. The first track cut in early January. A second track cut in late January which the vocals were added to and the version that we all know and love. My question is...Is Jean's demo on that first instrumental track? And is that first track in a different arrangement?

Also, I could have sworn I read somewhere Syreeta put a lead on the track. I don't know how true it is, but knowing how much Berry Gordy wanted her in the group, I wouldn't be surprised.