[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Frisco Label

Frisco Label

Anyone know if the NOla based Frisco label that operated in the mid 60's and released sides by the likes of Willie West, Danny White, Wanda Rouzan & the Rouzan Sisters had any connection to the Frisco label that released the Voice Masters outing "Two Lovers".
    The numbering systems don't seem to corespond so I guess not.

The later of these labels had ties with the Copa label that also released a Voice Masters 45 [["Dance Crazy").
    Were there any other releases on these Frisco / Copa labels ? If so, by who ?

ALSO, anyone know how the owners came up with the Frisco label name as I don't think either version of the label actually had any connection with San Fran [[even thought the NOla based outfit seem to have used a representation of the Golden Gate bridge on some of their labels).
    Last edited by jsmith; 12-04-2010 at 12:02 PM.

The label was called Frisco because the owner Connie LaRocca [[originally Connie Sculco) was born there.

I have two Frisco discographies - one lists the Voice Masters "Two Lovers" / "In Love In Vain" and another single by the Brilliants - "What You Gonna Do" / Slow Lovin'" as the label's last two releases and the other doesn't, so that still needs clarifying.

As you are probably aware, three of the Danny White Frisco productions were leased to ABC Paramount.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  21.1 KB
    The Voice Masters' single was later distributed nationally by Atlantic Records [[after regional distribution on the original pressing). I've always thought they were all the same label out of New Orleans, but there was an operation time gap [[thus the different label and label design, and distributor). I've read that they were the same label [[owned by the same owner). But, of course, that means nothing.

I have "That One"/"High Note"-by The Fantastics on Copa 8005. The label is out of Houston, TX. Is that the same number series as the Copa label with The Voice Masters? Are those the same Voice Masters from St. Louis, that were with Bamboo Records? I always thought so.

I wanted to post scans of the Fantastics and Voice Masters on Frisco. But with my new scanner [[different default settings I can't change), I can't make a decent sized scan that I can get under 100 kb. Can someone who can adjust my images e-mail me at robbklein@yahoo.com? I'll e-mail you the scans.

The Voice Masters Copa 45 shares the same number as their Frisco 45 [[FRISCO / COPA #15235)
    I'm guessing that "In Love In Vain" on FRISCO is the same song as "My Love Was All In Vain" on COPA.
    ........ The Voice Masters ..........
    original line-up of the group was formed around 1965, they recorded "Dance Crazy" & "My Love Was All In Vain" in 1965 [[the cuts were recorded & produced by Oliver Sain in St Louis).
    James Thompson mistakenly recalls these two tracks being released by Bamboo.
    James wrote "Two Lovers" & other of the group's songs.
    The incarnation of the group that cut for Bamboo Records in Chicago in 1967 featured one replacement member to their 4 strong line-up.
    Mid 70's Reprise group the Hypnotics [[3 strong) evolved out of the remnants of the Voice Masters.

Anyone know of any links between Oliver Sain & Connie LaRocca that could have resulted in the Voice Masters sides being released on Frisco ?? [[if that version of the Frisco label was actually owned by her).
    The Brilliants 45 on Frisco [[# 3221) would appear to be an earlier release than the Voice Masters 45.
    Who produced the Brilliants tracks ??
    Last edited by jsmith; 12-04-2010 at 08:53 PM.

Robb sent along a scan of the Fantastics Copa 45 ..........
    Attachment 1964
    He wasn't able to send a scan of the Voice Masters Frisco 45, but here's a poor quality scan of it ......
    Attachment 1965

BMI doesn't help much at all as the James Allen Thompson Jnr songs registered there are the ones [[22 in all) published by Cachand Music.

heres a scan of the Brilliants 45,,,,,,,

This scan shows 2 of the last releases from the 'main run' of Frisco label 45 releases ........
    Attachment 1968
    From the label's publishing company & the font used for the label name, I'd guess that the Brilliants' 45 is from the New Orleans based label.
    Still not sure if the Voice Masters Frisco 45 was from the same source though.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  21.1 KB
    The Voice Masters' pick up for national distribution by Atlantic was pressed by the latter Co. using the elaborate print label design, on a red-orange background. I have both that, and the original, local blue on white pressing, but my scanner isn't working now.