[REMOVE ADS]

Thumbs up The Empress of Soul takes on a Broadway classic

I always loved her renditions of standards, this is no different:

She is not just convincing singing this song............she is GOOD! Very good singing it.

IMO, Musical theater and Soul singers go hand and hand. Both come from the same realms of expression of hurt, anger, joy, ecstasy, passion and pain. I'm an alumni of Alabama's chapter of Alpha Psi Omega, a theater fraternity. Many of the members I know, have vocals that would nail both show tunes and Motown.

I agree, jboy.

This lady could make almost ANYTHING sound good. What a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She is not just convincing singing this song............she is GOOD! Very good singing it.
    That's why she's such a genius, she can make any song her own.

If there is a better more consistent female vocalist than her? I doubt it.

I saw Gladys sing this quite a few times in concert and each time she knocked it out of of the ballpark.

Recently a studio version of this was released on the expanded version of the LIFE cd. While good, IMO, it doesn't match what she did with it in concert.

I am going to see her here in the UK in a couple of weeks time. She has yet to let me done and I don't anticipate this being the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I am going to see her here in the UK in a couple of weeks time. She has yet to let me done and I don't anticipate this being the first time.
    I just saw Gladys this past weekend and she put on a great show!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    That's why she's such a genius, she can make any song her own.
    She has so much emotion in her voice that the listener lives the song as she sings whether it be pain, love, joy, or heartache. Just so convincing!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    She has so much emotion in her voice that the listener lives the song as she sings whether it be pain, love, joy, or heartache. Just so convincing!
    Yep. Every song she sang, you felt she went through it ALL. She tells it like a story, it's like you can imagine the love, the heartbreak, the happiness, all of that. That's what makes a soul artist what they are. I think she embodies soul better than any of them, even Aretha and Patti. IMHO anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    If there is a better more consistent female vocalist than her? I doubt it.
    Gladys is the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Yep. Every song she sang, you felt she went through it ALL. She tells it like a story, it's like you can imagine the love, the heartbreak, the happiness, all of that. That's what makes a soul artist what they are. I think she embodies soul better than any of them, even Aretha and Patti. IMHO anyway.
    Yeah I agree. With Patti and the Queen they display the emotion, but Gladys seems to really feel it. But the Queen runs a close second. God I hope she [[Queen) doesn't read this lol.

It is good to see how much Gladys is still loved and revered, and not so much of a hint of scandal that I am aware of. God bless her and long may she reign.