[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What's Your Favorite Temptations Album And Why?

Mine is “Sky’s The Limit”. From the ultra-cool LP sleeve to the Temps line-up [[Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams were still on board) to the exceptional Norman Whitfield production [[and, I assume, Ken Sands engineering – it’s a GREAT SOUNDING album) to the perfect balance of psychedelic soul plus classic balladeering. True, some of the songs were re-casts [[in classic Motown fashion) but what a great listening experience. I still goosebump over 9 minutes of “Love Can Be Anything”. Your choice?

Oh thank Gawd someone had the presence of mind NOT to post a thread discussing a popular girl group from the 1960s and 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Oh thank Gawd someone had the presence of mind NOT to post a thread discussing a popular girl group from the 1960s and 1970s.
    Don't know of any. What Temps LP do you like?

I Wish It Would Rain and A Lot of Soul, but I REALLY like David Ruffin's "David" album.

A Song for You has special resonance for me because it was a staple in our house in my formative years. From the stomping gospel funk of "Glasshouse" and "Shakey Ground" to the aching tenderness of "Firefly" and "Memories" [[the latter can bring me to tears), this album will always have a unique place in my heart. It takes me right back to wonderful moments with my family.

"With A Lot 'O Soul", without a doubt. But, I favor their singles more.

The Temptin' Temptations [[1965). David Ruffin, matching suits, synchronized dance-era Temptations, "Since I Lost My Baby", "The Girl's Alright With Me", "Girl [[Why You Wanna Make Me Blue)", "Don't Look Back", "I'll Be In Trouble", and my favorite, "My Baby".

For me, its a tie between Sky's the Limit and A Song for You

Classic 5 era- With A Lot O Soul

Psychedelic era- Puzzle People

70s- A Song for You

80s- Reunion

90s Phoenix Rising

Puzzle People

Wish It Would Rain
    Wings Of love
    Masterpiece

temptations sing smokey. why? cuz it is a cohesive album and every song is great!

It's a tie between "With A Lot 'O Soul" and "Sing Smokey".

Psychedelic Shack

I AGREE 10000000 PERCENT. My favorite is Greatest Hits mainly because it includes two of my all time favorite Temptations songs: Since I Lost My Baby - and - Don't Look Back.

Let's keep up the good work and branch into other outstanding Motown artists and songs.

Tie - "Sing Smokey" and "With A Lot O' Soul".

A Song For You, as my favorite male singer is Dennis Edwards and I think he did his best work on this album.

I think most of their albums contained great songs but several fillers as well. I think perhaps some of their less successful 80's albums were maybe amongst their most consistent but from their classic era I would agree with Philles/Motown Gary and plump for "sing smokey" and "with a lot o'soul" and "I wish it would rain" as runners up.

Oh boy,for me the greatest temptations album is the great[temptin temptations]the song quality is superb[of course the same can be said for thier first seven albums,but this one does it for me check out the cover[white suits-cool]check out the filler[just another lonely night[paul kills it]..[born to love you-shoulda been a single-everybody needs love-i gotta know now-eddie at his best-you're the one i need-a fun time for all]it was the first album i ever owned[yes i still have the original with on the purple gordy lable]not only are the songs great,but listen to the funk brothers...great,great album from the greatest male group ever!!

For me it's "Gettin' Ready" and "Puzzle People".

supremester Guest
    1) With a Lot of Soul [[Also Martha Reeves' fave)
    2) Puzzle People
    3) Cloud 9
    4) Sing Smokey

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I AGREE 10000000 PERCENT. My favorite is Greatest Hits mainly because it includes two of my all time favorite Temptations songs: Since I Lost My Baby - and - Don't Look Back.

Let's keep up the good work and branch into other outstanding Motown artists and songs.
    A-ha! So WHICH "Greatest Hits" LP?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    A-ha! So WHICH "Greatest Hits" LP?
    It is the CD # 314530853-2. It was originally released on Gordy 919 in November of 1966. Purple cover. Includes
    Beauty Is Only Skin Deep
    My Girl
    The Girl's All Right With Me
    Girl [[Why You Wanna Make Me Blue)
    The Way You Do the Things You Do
    Ain't Too Proud to Beg
    It's Growing
    Since I Lost My Baby
    Don't Look Back [[My all time favorite Temptations song)
    I'll Be In Trouble

Interestingly enough, the overlap describing the contents has a four paragraph quoting Bill Cosby [[he even mentioned wife Camille).

At long last, The Temptations have been Mastered for I-Tunes! Well, at least most of them are. But many of the lps that weren't available previously are now on there, including all of their live lps. Surprisingly, TCB still haven't appeared yet.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    It is the CD # 314530853-2. It was originally released on Gordy 919 in November of 1966. Purple cover. Includes
    Beauty Is Only Skin Deep
    My Girl
    The Girl's All Right With Me
    Girl [[Why You Wanna Make Me Blue)
    The Way You Do the Things You Do
    Ain't Too Proud to Beg
    It's Growing
    Since I Lost My Baby
    Don't Look Back [[My all time favorite Temptations song)
    I'll Be In Trouble

Interestingly enough, the overlap describing the contents has a four paragraph quoting Bill Cosby [[he even mentioned wife Camille).
    Cool - I loved those first hits compilations Motown did.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    At long last, The Temptations have been Mastered for I-Tunes! Well, at least most of them are. But many of the lps that weren't available previously are now on there, including all of their live lps. Surprisingly, TCB still haven't appeared yet.
    Interesting - I'm a Spotify guy and most of the LPs are also there; when music is "Mastered for i-Tunes" does that mean their engineers actually create new masters, or is the phrase just technical jargon for converting the music to i-Tunes useage? Can you tell if the LPs sound better/different on i-Tunes? I've always wondered.

Difficult choice to make. I only became interested in the group with 'cloud 9' but my favourite has to be 'Masterpiece'. Norman Whitfield's production was simply amazing. I also like 'all directions' '1990', 'solid rock' and 'sky's the limit' for the same reason.

When the production team parted company with the group, my interest in them also faded.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    Interesting - I'm a Spotify guy and most of the LPs are also there; when music is "Mastered for i-Tunes" does that mean their engineers actually create new masters, or is the phrase just technical jargon for converting the music to i-Tunes useage? Can you tell if the LPs sound better/different on i-Tunes? I've always wondered.
    I'm probably going to deactivate spotify once Apple music makes its debut later this month. Though, I still regularly buy/download music, so the artist can see some royalties.

as far as the technical aspects of mastered for iTunes, that might be a question soulster could answer better.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Thanks so much for the heads up. Been hoping for Live at London's Talk of The Town forever. My vinyl is good but glad to finally have it digitally. Also picked up Copa for good measure.

As for favorite album? Find myself returning to Cloud Nine and With a Lot O Soul most often. Sky's The Limit comes in 3rd solely for Just My Imagination, my all time favorite

Bravo!

To answer the question, The Temptations Sing Smokey is probably my favorite.

My temptaholics,don't sleep on the great[yes i said great]1980 lp[power]for those of you with the album take a close listen,the fellas were crankin it up[struck by lighning twice- shadow of your love-i'm comin home-isn't the night fantastic]are you kidding me,dennis was back and they did themselves proud..as good as anything the classic group did,don't take my word for it....just listen...temptations forever!!!

It's interesting to me to look at the Tempts "classic era" and note that of the 14 LPs, 7 could [[arguably, of course!) be considered "psychedelic soul" [[meaning the number of psyc tracks at least equalled the number of ballads + traditional uptempo tracks.

I don't even have to think about an answer: The Temptin' Temptations. Even the filler material is good, imo. Having been recently divorced, just listening to "Just Another Lonely Night" brings tears to my eyes occasionally. Paul REALLY makes you feel each and every word of that song! If pressed to pick a tied-for-1st-place, I'd have to say "With a Lot A Soul." My favorites on that album are "[[I Know) I'm Losing You" and "Just One Last Look".

hey lockheart, great choices and how about the gorgeous[two sides to love]how did that gem not be released???]

Quote Originally Posted by thisoldheart View Post
    temptations sing smokey. why? cuz it is a cohesive album and every song is great!
    I agree thisoldheart, though my favorite song is "Just My Imagination".

Masterpiece for me.

The album is of a consistently high standard, with many excellent tracks, but the title track is the stand out for me. It's absolutely superb.

For me its a toss up between 1990 and Masterpiece

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    My temptaholics,don't sleep on the great[yes i said great]1980 lp[power]for those of you with the album take a close listen,the fellas were crankin it up[struck by lighning twice- shadow of your love-i'm comin home-isn't the night fantastic]are you kidding me,dennis was back and they did themselves proud..as good as anything the classic group did,don't take my word for it....just listen...temptations forever!!!
    Thank you thank you thank you for reminding me of The Temps "POWER"! What vocals - a fuller "review" will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by kje71 View Post
    Thanks so much for the heads up. Been hoping for Live at London's Talk of The Town forever. My vinyl is good but glad to finally have it digitally. Also picked up Copa for good measure.

As for favorite album? Find myself returning to Cloud Nine and With a Lot O Soul most often. Sky's The Limit comes in 3rd solely for Just My Imagination, my all time favorite
    It looks like almost the entire discography is finally available!

I have too many favorites to single to one!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Yes, "Power" is a perfect album, and thanks for reminding me about it. The songs are excellent, the music/production/arrangements right on, and the singing superb. Lots of swapped leads, and the Temptations can funk it up! A great choice.

Yes,and[power] may have been the last[berry gordy]production with the group.

I'd have to say "Sing Smokey". It's not because of the songs but more so how they were sung. No overdubbing to fill out their vocals. Their background vocals took on a different texture based on who was leading.I learned to identify what voice belonged to who listening to this album. Sing Smokey also showed how versatile and potent they were.Every song previously released by the Miracles was literally taken from them. Sing Smokey and " Meet" is probably the purest we'll ever hear The Tempts on record.

Oh damn, I can't do this. I love all of them!!!! There are so many to choose from and you could make a case for any of them as the best IMO.

OK, I've literally just spent 15 minutes trying to piece together some sort of answer to this question but I really can't do it, lol

For me, it's a tie between Sky Is The Limit and the second greatest hits package that contained ballads and the message songs.

Masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
    Masterpiece.
    Thought you might go with that one Cosmic... classic Norman Whitfield

Cloud Nine! Followed by Sky’s The Limit, solely for the masterpiece that is Just My Imagination

Edit: That moment you realize you already responded 2 years ago with pretty much the same thing lol
    Last edited by kje71; 09-17-2017 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kje71 View Post
    Cloud Nine! Followed by Sky’s The Limit, solely for the masterpiece that is Just My Imagination

Edit: That moment you realize you already responded 2 years ago with pretty much the same thing lol
    Lol, kje, we've all done it

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    For me, it's a tie between Sky Is The Limit and the second greatest hits package that contained ballads and the message songs.
    STL's my favorite as well. Still play it quite frequently. Along with all it's other positives it just 'listens' well, even all these years later.