[REMOVE ADS]

Hall and Oates "vs" Spinners

Not bad--Darryl has soul! And they also do a nice take on Barrys' Cant Get Enough of Your Love Babe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NJt-...eature=related What do you think?
    Last edited by luke; 12-04-2010 at 12:16 AM.

Spinners version is in my heart and its much smoother. Hall and Oates one thing you have to give them they respect the music and dont try to turn it into something different. I give the performance a B its a good interpretation but not as smooth as the Spinners. I love the sax though its bad ass! Daryl Hall has always had an interesting voice to me and I hate to see him get older now Oates he is still looking good moustache or not. One thing I admire about this trio is that Oates didnt fall into the Andrew Ridgely of WHAM fate fans knew who he was and his contributions and when performing and singing he was right up there like Brooks and Dunn, Montgomery Gentry, and the Everly Brothers, Brothers Johnson .etc

I have that Hall & Oates soul album and I like it very much. A nice version of "I'll Be Around," but c'mon, it doesn't touch the original, there shouldn't even be a debate.

That said, I thought H & O really honored the classic soul songs and put their own spin on them without trying to duplicate them. It's a very good album. Some covers on the album don't work, "Whatcha See is Whatcha Get" is a butcher job, in my opinion. The best? "I Can Dream About You," originally by Dan Hartman and one of my favorite tunes, but it's taylor made for Darryl Hall. They ace it. An album definitely worth getting.

It wasnt a debate thats why I put vs in quotes!! Hall and Oates rock and rolled these songs. They cant be expected to sound like smooth Philly soul. Yet they are soulful.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Not bad--Darryl has soul! And they also do a nice take on Barrys' Cant Get Enough of Your Love Babe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NJt-...eature=related What do you think?

Such a very amazing link!
    Thanks you for the post.

For the record, luke, the use of "VS" or "versus" automatically implies a debate on this side of the pond. It's an either/or
    comparison. A clearer way to talk about the two songs if "pick one" wasn't your intent, would have been to title this
    thread Hall and Oates Do The Spinners or something close to that effect. I'm glad Darryl and John have always had so
    much love for classic soul, remember they brought back to the limelight David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks, I'm glad whenever
    they get together and I grooved to a lot of their hit material but I never would compare them to any grouping of The Spinners. That'd be like apples and kiwi...BTW, Adult Education was the sh*t!....

Correct, Splanky, when I saw the "versus" I thought he meant which version was better.

As I said, I like that H & O soul album very much. Not all the songs work for me, but the majority of them do, and I like their own takes on the songs.

"I'll Be Around" is a classic, as vintage as the finest wine, and The Spinners version can never be duplicated, despite that it's been covered a zillion times. It's probably their "My Girl" a song that also can be covered, but not duplicated.

Somebody tell me the name of the album ?

Agree with the use of "vs" I had to come back to this thread out of boredom just to see what was up. I would never compare the two in this way either. Lol....... you wouldn't expect "Ali vs Fraizer" to be about them singing a duet....

Hall and Oates are simply fantastic and I can appreciate their take on the classics. I also agree with Tsull, that Dan Hartman's tune is tailor made for Mr. Hall. This is one that I'll probably add to my collection although I don't necessarily like cover albums......

Here you go Paladin, I have no idea why the track list and clips aren't listed here like most Amazon postings!

http://www.amazon.com/Daryl-Hall-Joh...2187900&sr=1-2

Some of the songs on here: I'll Be Around, Love TKO, Used to be My Girl, Whatcha See is Whatcha Get, I Can Dream About You.

I'll try and find a track list. It's a fine album, they honored the originals and put their own spin on them.

Think I'll pop for the DVD.......lol.....