[REMOVE ADS]

Tammi vocals on "Easy"

Regarding the Marvin & Tammi album, "Easy," I've read a lot about whether Tammi's vocals or Valerie Simpson's vocals were used on the album.

By this point, Tammi was becoming more and more crippled by a terminal brain tumor. There has been a lot of discussion regarding the vocals on the album, including:

- Tammi recorded the vocals, but Valerie dubbed hers in
    - Tammi did NOT record the vocals, and all vocals were done by Valerie
    - Valerie did NOT record the vocals, and all vocals were done by Tammi
    - Most vocals were done by Valerie, but some were done by Tammi

Even Marvin and Valerie themselves have had trouble recollecting accurate information over the years. Marvin has said that Valerie recorded most of the vocals, but Valerie has said, repeatedly, that those vocals are not hers. But later, she said she sang with Marvin, but Tammi was brought in to dub her vocals later.

Does anyone have any informations regarding these sessions? I have always thought those vocals belonged to Tammi, but there is heavy information out there suggesting otherwise...

If you search the SD archives, I'm sure there is a lengthy thread about this - probably as definitive about the subject as we'll ever get-a subject on which there were strong views

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...vin+Tammi+easy

This pretty much the most thorough of countless threads! Other than that, I wouldn't go any further.

Tammi wasn't able to do the recording. It's really simple as that... really. Nothing in that album besides the leftover TT tracks that Marvin sang over indicates she was at all present on that album. MG was more accurate than was let on. Plus NINE operations [[and probably 6-7 by the time Easy was recorded), no one can go through all that surgery and can still muster up the strength to sing, even if it was for a simple bridge.
    Last edited by midnightman; 06-04-2015 at 01:57 AM.

supremester Guest
    I thought it sounded like Tammi on The Onion song, but that she must have been ill while recording California Soul as she sounded so odd - like most of the album. It never dawned on me that it might be someone else, I just hoped she'd recover and sound like Tammi again. Now I believe it is Valerie and she did an amazing job.

someone who has listened to the isolated vocal tracks of "easy" told me that it is valerie simpson. motown has not wanted to diminish terrell's legacy and hurt her family by officially saying that tammi did not sing on the tracks. i don't think anyone could ever take anything away from tammi. the work she did speaks for itself. she was a little dynamo, cute and sexy. she had real star power. it remains a sorry part of motown history and her death was felt deeply be millions.

supremester Guest
    I agree - it's certainly not a blight on her sparkling star. Harvery Fuqua told me a little about her including that, despite my dream, she would never have taken Ross' place in The Supremes as she didn't have a "group mentality" and got along better with men. He really loved her and admired her talent. I think it's wonderful of Valerie to help her out vocally and a feather in her cap to do such a great job. I think she copies Tammi's tone very well, but it does sound forced.

Marvin was quoted saying it was not Tammi; she was too sick to record. He said he didn't want to deceive the public, but the powers that be at Motown convinced him her family would need the money. I think he said one or two of the songs were with Tammi, but everything else was with Valerie, who is extremely talented vocally. I remember a TV commericial for Double Mint chewing gum with two white twin girls singing the song. It was actually Valerie doing the voices!

None of this should slight Tammi in any way - she was after all very poorly. Nor anyone else for that matter.

I'm of the opinion that Valerie also appears on the track "You're All I Need To Get By" - in fact quite a bit. Tammi is in there too though. As others have said it was discussed at length in other threads but it's still an interesting topic.

Any vocals crediting Tammi that were recorded up to September 1967 were clearly her own and that includes the Ashford/Simpson songs "You Ain't Livin' Until You're Lovin", " Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing" and "Keep On Lovin' Me Honey" .

Recording information suggests that Tammi then didn't record until May 1968 and at that session she was assisted in the recording of "You're All I Need To Get By" [[the rich tapestry referred to by Valerie Simpson). At that same session was recorded "Satisfied Feelin'" but listening to it suggests it's Valerie's vocal on there. This track was, of course, on the album "Easy".

After that I don't believe Tammi recorded further vocals and all the new tracks recorded for "Easy" were Valerie's vocals. That includes "The Onion Song". There were some previously recorded songs by Tammi to which Marvin added vocals and these were included on that album.

One wonders whether the usual fees for recording sessions were deducted from Tammi's royalties though. Would hope not.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 06-04-2015 at 12:47 PM.

But weren't there stories around that the royalties [[whatever they may be these days) from any sales were still going to Tammi Terrell's Estate ~ so then the costs of the recording sessions to "fix up" the vocals should have been charged to Tammi, no?

Logically you're right jobeterob but I read somewhere that the reason Motown got Valerie to do those vocals was so that sales would produce some funds for Tammi's medical bills. If that were true then they might waver the recording costs to maximise income for her or her family.

Tammi's expenses were already being taken care of well before Easy! IF She truly was only involved in name only, I'd hope she wouldn't have to flip the bill for studio time.

Quote Originally Posted by thisoldheart View Post
    someone who has listened to the isolated vocal tracks of "easy" told me that it is valerie simpson. motown has not wanted to diminish terrell's legacy and hurt her family by officially saying that tammi did not sing on the tracks. i don't think anyone could ever take anything away from tammi. the work she did speaks for itself. she was a little dynamo, cute and sexy. she had real star power. it remains a sorry part of motown history and her death was felt deeply be millions.
    Yeah. Like I said before, it doesn't diminish her legacy at all, it just enriches it. Tammi was a very soulful woman...

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Tammi's expenses were already being taken care of well before Easy! IF She truly was only involved in name only, I'd hope she wouldn't have to flip the bill for studio time.
    I don't know if I buy that her expenses were being taken care of. Healthcare wasn't much in those days...

I think Motown was paying her hospital bills. I can't remember where I read or saw that. Maybe UNSUNG?
    Last edited by reese; 06-05-2015 at 07:23 PM.

^ Unsung did mention that Motown was paying them... I think it was also stated in Marvin's book [[not sure about that).

Tammi Terrell was too sick to record,no matter what they say,i believe it's all Valerie Simpson,Valerie is doing a good job,soundin' like Tammi.

As I read somewhere, Tammi Terrell signed with Scepter and cut some demos for The Shirelles. Wonder if there's anything in the can there - would be great to think there might be a demo of her singing "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" or "Baby It's You" lurking in the vaults somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think Motown was paying her hospital bills. I can't remember where I read or saw that. Maybe UNSUNG?

See Pg. 100 & Tammi's acknowledgement of who generously was paying the bills:

https://books.google.com/books?id=ZFDqAUi7h-QC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Thanks Carole for finding that article again. Those photos of Tammi are just heartbreaking.

I know I commented in the other thread so will just mention here that even when I first heard that album, I wondered why Tammi's voice sounded so forced and exaggerated. There's no doubt in my mind that it's Valerie Simpson, though of course at the time such a thought would never have crossed my mind. But it definitely is not Tammi and even back then I knew it didn't sound like her. Regardless of Tammi's sister saying that Valerie wove a "tapestry" of her voice and Tammi's [[in the liner notes to the Tammi box set), the only tracks with Tammi on them are the solo cuts where Marvin overdubbed his voice, such as "I Can't Believe You Love Me," and I think there was one other cut like that.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    See Pg. 100 & Tammi's acknowledgement of who generously was paying the bills:

https://books.google.com/books?id=ZFDqAUi7h-QC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
    Thanks! That article was just heartbreaking, knowing what would happen just months later.

Thanks Valerie for helping to carry on the legacy and to help the family financially. Its all good.

Heartbreaking indeed. Tammi will forever be in our hearts. I cannot think of anything else to say.

Scepter did record her, but the songs she did were some songs already recorded by the Shirelles using the same backing tracks. She did "Big John" and "Make The Night A Little Longer". Her single was issued on the Wand label, part of Scepter, called "If You See Bill". After her success at Motown Scepter issued "Make The Night A Little Longer" and I think they actually credited it to Tammi Terrell, but when she recorded for them she was Tammy Montgomery.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rrussi View Post
    Scepter did record her, but the songs she did were some songs already recorded by the Shirelles using the same backing tracks. She did "Big John" and "Make The Night A Little Longer". Her single was issued on the Wand label, part of Scepter, called "If You See Bill". After her success at Motown Scepter issued "Make The Night A Little Longer" and I think they actually credited it to Tammi Terrell, but when she recorded for them she was Tammy Montgomery.
    All those songs that you mentioned are included on her 2-disc Motown Anthology.

Tammi's Scepter songs were also released on the Wand album THE EARLY SHOW. Tammi had one side and Chuck Jackson had the other.

I agree with you Kenneth 100%,It's Valerie Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I agree with you Kenneth 100%,It's Valerie Simpson.
    Thanks Redhot.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    None of this should slight Tammi in any way - she was after all very poorly. Nor anyone else for that matter.

I'm of the opinion that Valerie also appears on the track "You're All I Need To Get By" - in fact quite a bit. Tammi is in there too though. As others have said it was discussed at length in other threads but it's still an interesting topic.

Any vocals crediting Tammi that were recorded up to September 1967 were clearly her own and that includes the Ashford/Simpson songs "You Ain't Livin' Until You're Lovin", " Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing" and "Keep On Lovin' Me Honey" .

Recording information suggests that Tammi then didn't record until May 1968 and at that session she was assisted in the recording of "You're All I Need To Get By" [[the rich tapestry referred to by Valerie Simpson). At that same session was recorded "Satisfied Feelin'" but listening to it suggests it's Valerie's vocal on there. This track was, of course, on the album "Easy".

After that I don't believe Tammi recorded further vocals and all the new tracks recorded for "Easy" were Valerie's vocals. That includes "The Onion Song". There were some previously recorded songs by Tammi to which Marvin added vocals and these were included on that album.
    Putting it another way, the recordings up until Tammi collapsed in late 1967 were her own. The next recording session in May 1968 produced "You're All I Need To Get By" [[which features both Tammi and Valerie) and "Satisfied Feelin'" which is all Valerie. After "You're All I Need" Tammi never recorded again if the above is correct.

Anyone have a different opinion regarding the recording information above?
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 06-07-2015 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Putting it another way, the recordings up until Tammi collapsed in late 1967 were her own. The next recording session in May 1968 produced "You're All I Need To Get By" [[which features both Tammi and Valerie) and "Satisfied Feelin'" which is all Valerie. After "You're All I Need" Tammi never recorded again if the above is correct.

Anyone have a different opinion regarding the recording information above?
    I think as mentioned in the earlier post, the recording information is the most valuable evidence and really not subject to opinion or conjecture. As one astute poster pointed out in the other thread, many of the songs show recording dates for "Marvin Gaye" and either "Demo" or "Background Vocals" or both, with Tammi not even mentioned. I think this is true for all the late singles in the "Complete" series which eventually ended up on the "Easy" album including "Good Lovin'" and "Satisfied Feeling."

I suppose at the time no one ever thought these recording session notes would ever be cited anywhere. LPs certainly never [[or at least rarely) ever included such information.
    Last edited by kenneth; 06-07-2015 at 10:14 PM.

Wow, a lot of great information! I never knew about "You're All I Need..." I had assumed either Tammi or Val, but not both. Very interesting. Regardless, Valerie spot-on nails Tammi's sound.

I know Motown supposedly helped with her bills, but I'm wondering why she was still 'recording' when she was so ill. Could it have been purely contractual, or did she have to record to help pay bills?

^ But see? I think they did the album to complete Tammi's contract. She might've had some kind of deal that ended after a certain time [[she signed her Tamla contract in April 1965 and she died in March 1970). I think she probably had some sort of contract for several years and the 1969 albums "Irresistible" [[which includes her 1965-1967 solo recordings) and "Easy" probably completed the contract regardless of her health issues?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    ^ But see? I think they did the album to complete Tammi's contract. She might've had some kind of deal that ended after a certain time [[she signed her Tamla contract in April 1965 and she died in March 1970). I think she probably had some sort of contract for several years and the 1969 albums "Irresistible" [[which includes her 1965-1967 solo recordings) and "Easy" probably completed the contract regardless of her health issues?
    That's what I was wondering. But after reading that Ebony article, it's heart-breaking how difficult getting back in the studio was for her...now I'm thinking it must have also been a personal goal for Tammi to regain and maintain strength.

Oh indeed. And we haven't even scratched the surface of how difficult it was for her. I bet Unsung and Ludie's book only covered half of what was going on. She was a brave and courageous woman.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    That's what I was wondering. But after reading that Ebony article, it's heart-breaking how difficult getting back in the studio was for her...now I'm thinking it must have also been a personal goal for Tammi to regain and maintain strength.
    That article among other things are the reasons why I'm one of the few who believe Val's side of the story. The only reason I believed it wasn't Tammi was because I was under the assumption that she was completely incapacitated! It's clear that dispite being in and out of surgeries, she was doing everything she could to go about a normal life, which would include recording and performing whenever possible.

As far as "Your All I Need to Get By" is concerned, I personally say it's all Tammi on that one. For one,her name IS listed on the sessions log. That and Marvin made no comment on Val singing on any duets other than the 10 new songs on Easy.

i just thought I'd offer you a different point of view. Otherwise I wouldn't even bother since anyone who believes Tammi even breathed on any post 68 tracks is pretty much unwelcome.

I doubt it was done for contractual reasons. Any performing contract would have a clause which would excuse the artist from performing due to a serious illness or other events which impeded the artist's ability to perform. This is usually known as a "Force Majeure" [["act of God") clause, which means the artist simply couldn't complete her terms of the contract for reasons outside her control.

^ I gotcha. Thanks for explaining...

^ I gotcha. Thanks for explaining...
    You're very welcome...K

RossHolloway Guest
    That article among other things are the reasons why I'm one of the few who believe Val's side of the story. The only reason I believed it wasn't Tammi was because I was under the assumption that she was completely incapacitated! It's clear that dispite being in and out of surgeries, she was doing everything she could to go about a normal life, which would include recording and performing whenever possible.

As far as "Your All I Need to Get By" is concerned, I personally say it's all Tammi on that one. For one,her name IS listed on the sessions log. That and Marvin made no comment on Val singing on any duets other than the 10 new songs on Easy.

i just thought I'd offer you a different point of view. Otherwise I wouldn't even bother since anyone who believes Tammi even breathed on any post 68 tracks is pretty much unwelcome.
    What did you think of the part in the article that states that Tammi had not recorded in roughly a year and a half?

It's also worth pointing out that Tammi's last solo recording was completed on December 7, 1967 - It's Been A long Time Happening.

The article mentions she had six operation over a year and half period, with a six month gap between the first and the second. One could assume "Your All I Need to Get By," was cut in that gap. The article references Tammi flying to a session in Detroit after the six operation, something backed up in the "Unsung" doc.

RossHolloway Guest
    The article mentions she had six operation over a year and half period, with a six month gap between the first and the second. One could assume "Your All I Need to Get By," was cut in that gap. The article references Tammi flying to a session in Detroit after the six operation, something backed up in the "Unsung" doc.
    You're All I Need was completed on May 29, 1968

Whereas "Satisfied Feelin' " wasn't completed until 07-Nov-68.
    and
    "More, More, More" 05-Mar-68
    "I Can't Believe You Love Me" 07-Mar-68
    "Good Lovin' Ain't Easy To Come By" 21-Nov-68
    "California Soul" 17-Mar-69
    "Love Woke Me Up This Morning" 17-Mar-69
    "How You Gonna Keep It" 17-Mar-69
    "I'm Your Puppet" 17-Mar-69
    "The Onion Song" 17-Mar-69
    "What You Gave Me" 17-Mar-69
    "Baby I Need Your Loving" 17-Mar-69
    "This Poor Heart Of Mine" 18-Mar-69

All info taken from Don't Forget The Motor City - with huge thanks.