[REMOVE ADS]

Gladys Knight & The Pips - Neither One of Us on Soul Train, 1974

Though this was performed after they left Motown, I felt it was important to bring up. Love the 'Fro Gladys is rocking in this clip and the Pips are dancing on air lol [[which is a hint of how great dancers they were).

I always felt this was the greatest ballad released on Motown...
    Last edited by midnightman; 06-01-2015 at 05:33 PM.

Totally agree. Still am mesmerized when I hear it.

That was like the number one record in the Universe from the winter to spring of 1973! Still sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That was like the number one record in the Universe from the winter to spring of 1973! Still sounds great!
    A big exageration Dear. It peaked at #2 on the billbioard chart in 1973 and peaked at 16 in Canada and 31 in the UK and didnt chart in Australia. The song was ranked #45 on the 1973 year end chart for 1973 which was way behind marvin Gaye and Diane Ross and Billy Preston and Roberta Flack.

http://www.bobborst.com/popculture/t...ear/?year=1973

Spent four weeks at #1 on the R&B chart between March-April 1973. Helped the Pips make history at Grammy night in 1974 when they won the Grammy for Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group while "Midnight Train to Georgia" won the Grammy for Best R&B Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group.

Technically that made them just the second Motown act to win a Grammy and the first post-Motown act after the Isley Brothers to receive a Grammy all in one night! LMAO

Payback for BG and Motown.

It was number one on WKLR 99.9 FM "Kooler Radio" in Toledo, OH for 6 weeks! That was MY Universe at the time!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Spent four weeks at #1 on the R&B chart between March-April 1973. Helped the Pips make history at Grammy night in 1974 when they won the Grammy for Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group while "Midnight Train to Georgia" won the Grammy for Best R&B Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group.

Technically that made them just the second Motown act to win a Grammy and the first post-Motown act after the Isley Brothers to receive a Grammy all in one night! LMAO

Payback for BG and Motown.

I knew it was a number one smash hit! A girls group at my Jr. High performed it in the annual talent show and won! I don't know what Roberta is talking about? The song , the recording was so popular won back to back Grammy's as earlier as 1973 when it would be another full 10 years before Marvin won his and I know Roberta Flack won a couple. I am not too sure about Billy Preston, but I know for a fact that Diana Ross has NOT won a Grammy!
    Last edited by marv2; 06-01-2015 at 10:02 PM.

^ It's interesting to note that they won the dual Grammys in March of 1974 and I think were about to release the Claudine soundtrack [[they performed "On & On" on the same ST episode) when they appeared on ST less than two months later.

^ It's interesting to note that they won the dual Grammys in March of 1974 and I think were about to release the Claudine soundtrack [[they performed "On & On" on the same ST episode) when they appeared on ST less than two months later.
    " One and One " is one of the monster jams of the summer of '74!

Gladys & Pips Could Have Taken NEITHER ONE OF US With Them When They Left Motown

There is a nice two part video at this link by Gladys where she talks about the singers of today and what they have to do to be popular. But the part of the interview that interested me most was her discussion on her favorite song and the back story to it.

Neither One Of Us has always been a special song for Gladys. It is still hard for her to get through that song when she does it in concert because of the way they got it, the way they recorded it. They didn't have to leave it with Motown. They could have taken it to Buddah, but it was saying to Motown what they wanted to say for the seven years that they spent there. And they would have stayed if they were structured right. I guess they felt that they deserved to be higher on the totem pole of talent.

Here is link to interview
    http://theboombox.com/gladys-knight-...ex-sell-music/

I knew it was a number one smash hit! A girls group at my Jr. High performed it in the annual talent show and won! I don't know what Roberta is talking about? The song , the recording was so popular won back to back Grammy's as earlier as 1973 when it would be another full 10 years before Marvin won his and I know Roberta Flack won a couple. I am not too sure about Billy Preston, but I know for a fact that Diana Ross has NOT won a Grammy!
    Im talking facts dearest facts, you stated it was number one for months all over the Universe which isnt true or accurate, real nice of you to mention that You know for a fact that Diane Ross has a. Grammy but in fact she have a lifetime achievement Grammy but nice of you to give credits where credits due.

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Im talking facts dearest facts, you stated it was number one for months all over the Universe which isnt true or accurate, real nice of you to mention that You know for a fact that Diane Ross has a. Grammy but in fact she have a lifetime achievement Grammy but nice of you to give credits where credits due.

Fondly,

Roberta
    I said Diana Ross never won a Grammy! FACT!

After some clever editing my dear protected one lol.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    After some clever editing my dear protected one lol.

Roberta
    Why are you so Hell bent on starting trouble here day in and day out?

Not surprising Gladys considers this her favorite song. Or one of her most cherished. It was that and more for the reasons you and Gladys stated, milven. Neither One was interesting in that it didn't fit the Motown Sound but it was indeed part of the Motown Sound, if that makes sense... I make an argument this song marked the beginning of the end of the Motown Sound... and what a way to do it with Gladys singing from the top of her lungs about it. It was fitting Neither One was their swan song to Motown.

I love it when she does it live:

The video was uploaded just two months ago so here's Gladys at 70-plus still singing the song like she did when she recorded it 43 years ago!

After you edited it. Before you edited it, you said she won. FACT

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    After you edited it. Before you edited it, you said she won. FACT
    Thank you dear Milven for confirming what Id said and saw.

fondly,

Roberta

NOTE: Neither One of Us was actually the first song GK&TP did that was composed by Jim Weatherly. Midnight Train to Georgia and You're the Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me were also from Weatherly.

Not surprising Gladys considers this her favorite song. Or one of her most cherished. It was that and more for the reasons you and Gladys stated, milven. Neither One was interesting in that it didn't fit the Motown Sound but it was indeed part of the Motown Sound, if that makes sense... I make an argument this song marked the beginning of the end of the Motown Sound... and what a way to do it with Gladys singing from the top of her lungs about it. It was fitting Neither One was their swan song to Motown.

I love it when she does it live:

The video was uploaded just two months ago so here's Gladys at 70-plus still singing the song like she did when she recorded it 43 years ago!
    Thanks Thanks Thanks! Her voice is as strong as ever! Must have taken good care of her voice. Great looking too! We should be thankful we are able to enjoy her music live after all these years. I am glad GK and the Pips found success after leaving Motown.

Despite all the silliness on this thread what matters is that this is a classic song in anyones book. Diana Ross does not belong on this particular thread. We are celebrating Gladys and the Pips. The fact that Diana Ross has not won a grammy is totally irrelevant on this thread.

^^ Yeah Gladys took great care of her vocals over the years.

Gladys seems to have preserved her voice much better than her so called rivals from the 60's.
    Out of all the usual suspects Gladys for me is the one who can honestly claim to retain much of the power of her younger days.

^ I know. Etta, Aretha, Dionne, Mavis, etc., lost their vocal power at the heights of their careers. Gladys has maintained hers for over 60 years, that should be commended! Only one of the '60s peers whose voice lasted as long was probably Patti LaBelle's but some of her voice has started to lose some of its power.

A great song.
    When my late great wife Cecilia died in my arms on 4/16/2012, her last words on earth were "You're The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me." Another one of GK & P songs. Neither one of us said good bye. True love lives on. Edafan

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    A great song.
    When my late great wife Cecilia died in my arms on 4/16/2012, her last words on earth were "You're The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me." Another one of GK & P songs. Neither one of us said good bye. True love lives on. Edafan
    That's beautiful, ed. You are truly fortunate and blessed. May God bless her memory.

edafan - what a beautiful and touching story. I am guessing Gladys has a very special place in your heart. God bless you.

Aww @ edafan...

Thanks good friends on this board. Yes, Gladys great songs do hold a special place for me. We played her songs a lot. I used to tell her. I was married to the best human being I ever knew. She proved it every day. Now I just ask myself, "What would she say to do?" She was wife #3. Wife #1 died in Texas on March 2, 2014. They didn't have much. I sent our daughter down twice to see her. I paid for her funeral because that's what Cecilia would have done if she were alive. And #1 Nancy was very helpful when the late great Cecilia passed. True love never ends. edafan

Much love to you edafan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Much love to you edafan.
    thanks

I do have that.
    I do have lots of love in the past, the present and the future

edafan