[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    With no disrespect to Ms. Birdsong, when Susaye joined the Supremes, she brought along a youthful energy that had been missing for quite some time.

By 1976, Mary and Cindy had become too matronly. Susaye is exactly what the Supremes needed to add some sparkle.

Now, the MSS grouping, visually, what a hot mess. You have an amazon Mary towering over the 2premes. I think there's a clip, from Mike Douglas perhaps, that Mary, Scherrie and Susaye are standing on boxes; Mary on the tallest box in the middle. She looks to be about eight feet three. And for as much as Mary wanted a "group" there is another clip [[also, I think from Mike Douglas) that Mary is WAAAAAY out front in L.A., where Scherrie and Susaye are twirling for their lives in the background, back in Detroit. You can't even see their faces. It might have be ME up there in my Jesus robe for all you know.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Jean Terrell was the perfect choice to replace Diana. People will say Syreeta would have been better, but I think she was too vocally similar to Diana. The group needed a different sound, yet have the vocal draw that Diana had. Jean was that.

If not Jean, Marilyn McCoo would have also been a perfect fit. Vocally, visually, and overall appeal, she had the "Supreme" spark. In fact, I thought her name was actually thrown around at Motown as a possible replacement for Diana.
    You're spot on with the reason that Syreeta would have been a bad choice.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    This is my favorite Supremes song! Thank you for posting it.

supremester Guest
    1) Berry Gordy assigned Frank Wilson To JMC [[as well as Gil).
    2) They did it w/o Ross, but with Jean signing like Ross.
    3)Motown had over a hundred top ten singles without HDH
    4)The Andantes are on it as well.
    5) They had full support, TV, trade ads, a full concert schedule.

Berry Gordy stopped WORKING PERSONALLY with The Supremes - he did not stop trying to make them a success. Frank Wilson had two platinum singles and one platinum album just a few months before he began working with Jean. Top producers, top arrangers, top television exposure, top venues, top trade ads = full label support.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Jean Terrell fit the Supremes like a glove. They even scored a Top Ten smash with their first release with her on lead. The song they did it with is now and an American Pop Standard. She was different than the old lead, she was herself, she was perfect for the job! Berry was right in choosing her, Mary Wilson was right in supporting and defending her.

What was also so amazing was:
    1, They did it without Berry Gordy
    2. They did it without Diana Ross
    3. They did it without HDH
    4. They did it with Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong singing the background
    5. They did it without the full support of the record company!

supremester Guest
    #1) A healthy Tammi Terrell.
    #2) Syreeta
    #3) I like the sound of Sandra from The Elgins but I don't know if she had the "it" factor required. Tammi did. Syreeta did enough. Jean did not.

Jean was a great singer - a vocal match for The Supremes? I'm not so sure. Personally, I think any Motown female would have hit with Up The Ladder & Stoned Love. Ross & Terrell would have charted higher on them and visually, though a handsome woman for sure, she had no vivacity or pop appeal. Teens would not relate to her as they would Tammi or Syreeta. I agree with Berry: after seeing Jean in drag on stage with DMC, I'd have yanked her too and not cared what Mary said. Jean was not only matronly, she made Mary & Cindy look matronly as well. I'd have put Syreeta in, and created a new group for Jean. she's too big of a talent not to try with, but in her natural style. Imagine a female trio that was swinging, but very hip and soulful and new age - like a female Sly & the family stone/ What's Going On with 3 strong singers for killer harmony and counter balance. Cindy was really too weak for that - Mary always over powered her. Try as you might, very few people accepted JMC as The Supremes. They were a new group - not just a grouping. The new Supremes needed young, sexy and sparkling fresh.

I think that, in hindsight, there's no other conclusion but that Jean was the wrong choice as there was a steady decline in album sales and ticket sales from the beginning - the very measures of group interest. Anyone can get a hit single with the right ingredients for a 98 cent investment, but if you can't get a hit album off Stoned Love, or any gigs at all in Vegas after just two years, even with 5 hit singles, your group is in deep trouble. I think Tammi/Syreeta wooda been more exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Koach View Post
    If you could pick any singer who would have served as lead, who would it be? My first choice goes to Marilyn McCoo. I think she had the full package and is also versatile. My next picks are Dionne Warwick and Roberta Flack.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    With no disrespect to Ms. Birdsong, when Susaye joined the Supremes, she brought along a youthful energy that had been missing for quite some time.

By 1976, Mary and Cindy had become too matronly. Susaye is exactly what the Supremes needed to add some sparkle.

Now, the MSS grouping, visually, what a hot mess. You have an amazon Mary towering over the 2premes. I think there's a clip, from Mike Douglas perhaps, that Mary, Scherrie and Susaye are standing on boxes; Mary on the tallest box in the middle. She looks to be about eight feet three. And for as much as Mary wanted a "group" there is another clip [[also, I think from Mike Douglas) that Mary is WAAAAAY out front in L.A., where Scherrie and Susaye are twirling for their lives in the background, back in Detroit. You can't even see their faces. It might have be ME up there in my Jesus robe for all you know.
    Perfectly put. In fact I snorted coffee through my nose at the last paragraph! The Mary-myth may now rest, may it please the court. As I say, talented ladies, but not The Supremes anymore. "Flailin' & wailin' ". There were good [[and indeed great) records made after Jean left that should have been issued with a different group name. Very few people were convinced that these lovely and talented ladies were The Supremes from their memories.

Absolutely no one other than DIANA ROSS!

Reminds me of that pic of Diana sitting on some pillar and Mary and Cindy gazing up at her "dazzalingness" lol. What is Mary..5 feet 4?

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    hi Zantellor, how you been? Interesting choice of Saundra.
    Hi Good to hear from you. I always thought that Saundra Edwards had the voice to replace Diana Ross. It is strange that I never saw or heard any suggestion mentioning this possibility.I would really like to hear comments on this

Quote Originally Posted by Zantellor View Post
    Hi Good to hear from you. I always thought that Saundra Edwards had the voice to replace Diana Ross. It is strange that I never saw or heard any suggestion mentioning this possibility.I would really like to hear comments on this
    Zantellor, how are you buddy?

Alton McClain [[of Alton McClain and Destiny). She had the chops, look and style back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHe7ErAbLOI

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Alton McClain [[of Alton McClain and Destiny). She had the chops, look and style back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHe7ErAbLOI
    Inspired choice, blueskies! One can sense a definite Diana influence in her vocals and stagecraft.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Zantellor, how are you buddy?
    Hi Marv I m doing ok Im still in Florida..Hope you are doing well
    .Lets talk soon

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    #1) A healthy Tammi Terrell.
    #2) Syreeta
    #3) I like the sound of Sandra from The Elgins but I don't know if she had the "it" factor required. Tammi did. Syreeta did enough. Jean did not.

Jean was a great singer - a vocal match for The Supremes? I'm not so sure. Personally, I think any Motown female would have hit with Up The Ladder & Stoned Love. Ross & Terrell would have charted higher on them and visually, though a handsome woman for sure, she had no vivacity or pop appeal. Teens would not relate to her as they would Tammi or Syreeta. I agree with Berry: after seeing Jean in drag on stage with DMC, I'd have yanked her too and not cared what Mary said. Jean was not only matronly, she made Mary & Cindy look matronly as well. I'd have put Syreeta in, and created a new group for Jean. she's too big of a talent not to try with, but in her natural style. Imagine a female trio that was swinging, but very hip and soulful and new age - like a female Sly & the family stone/ What's Going On with 3 strong singers for killer harmony and counter balance. Cindy was really too weak for that - Mary always over powered her. Try as you might, very few people accepted JMC as The Supremes. They were a new group - not just a grouping. The new Supremes needed young, sexy and sparkling fresh.

I think that, in hindsight, there's no other conclusion but that Jean was the wrong choice as there was a steady decline in album sales and ticket sales from the beginning - the very measures of group interest. Anyone can get a hit single with the right ingredients for a 98 cent investment, but if you can't get a hit album off Stoned Love, or any gigs at all in Vegas after just two years, even with 5 hit singles, your group is in deep trouble. I think Tammi/Syreeta wooda been more exciting.
    Very well said and elegantly....

Jean Terrell.