[REMOVE ADS]

Remember when Cindy Birdsong was kidnapped?

Well it was 41 years ago today... Scary stuff indeed, especially since it wasn't that long after the Manson murders and such.

http://spinningsoul.com/2010/12/birdsong/
    Last edited by spinningsoul; 12-02-2010 at 01:21 PM.

olamaebarto Guest
    If that took place 42 years ago [[1968), the Manson murders had not taken place yet. The Tate murders were August 9th, 1969 with the LaBianca murders the following night. The writer needs to check his/her facts.

Quote Originally Posted by olamaebarto View Post
    If that took place 42 years ago [[1968), the Manson murders had not taken place yet. The Tate murders were August 9th, 1969 with the LaBianca murders the following night. The writer needs to check his/her facts.
    LOL. Math isn't the writer's strong suit, I guess you can say...

According to imdb [[ http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0083481/ ) and other sources [[ http://www.maebrussell.com/1960s%20T...urrenders.html ), [[ http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/en/Cindy_Birdsong ); this happened in 1969; so the writer seems to be correct that this is was just after the Manson murders.

Just puttin' it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    According to imdb [[ http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0083481/ ) and other sources [[ http://www.maebrussell.com/1960s%20T...urrenders.html ), [[ http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/en/Cindy_Birdsong ); this happened in 1969; so the writer seems to be correct that this is was just after the Manson murders.

Just puttin' it out there.
    I think he was referring to my saying it was 42 years ago today. It's actually 41. Just a math slip-up, that's been fixed

Quote Originally Posted by spinningsoul View Post
    I think he was referring to my saying it was 42 years ago today. It's actually 41. Just a math slip-up, that's been fixed
    No problem at all; just defending the snarky "facts" comment.

I think it happened right around the time Diana left the group.

olamaebarto Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    No problem at all; just defending the snarky "facts" comment.

Excuse me, DEAR but I was not being "snarky". Can I offer you a Midol?

I wonder what ever happen to Charles Collier, I think he eventually turned himself in.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I wonder what ever happen to Charles Collier, I think he eventually turned himself in.
    Yep, he did. Four days later, he called the cops from the lobby of a run-down motel. They went there, found him sitting there with his head in his hands and brought him into custody. I wouldn't mind finding a "where are they now" sort of thing, though.

According to some published sources there are still some questions about the events which according to them are still somewhat murky.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    According to some published sources there are still some questions about the events which according to them are still somewhat murky.
    ....and I know exactly what you mean.

Cindy was a brave soul. Its a wonder she was not [[I dont want to use the word honored) but commended for being so brave.

You aint kidding-jumping onto the highway and testifying in court, back in the day when there wasnt nearly as much support.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Wow its been so long ago that some parts are fuzzy now but, I thought I heard her ex-husband or the man that was there with her ex-husband at the time knew more than what was being said.

I just linked in to the article and read a.o. :

[...] This story made every newspaper in the country and Cindy’s real age was mentioned, which shocked a lot of people because she was a few years older than fellow Supremes Diana and Mary.

Was that really shocking news, back in the sixties? Oh, dear.

Anyone remember if they were shocked at the time, because of the aforementioned fact?

I wasn't SHOCKED but I was surprised that Cindy was older.....for real I was.

I gather Cindy was always sensitive about being older than the others. On a early 1968 French tv show, the emcee asked each member how old they were. Diana and Mary said 23, which was true. Then Cindy said she was 23 also, which wasn't.

In her book, Patti LaBelle wrote that Cindy always made her swear not to tell her real age. Patti never told, but gave Cindy the nickname "Mom".
    Last edited by reese; 12-03-2010 at 08:36 AM.

I was shocked to read about it but it was a very brief article and the story seemed to quickly vanish.

I think Cindy was five years older than Diana and Mary. Also, the kidnapping made the newspapers around the country
    right around the time Diana was leaving and many speculated it was a publicity stunt.

Wow--people thought Cindy would risk her life for publicity???

I don't think they thought she risked her life, I just think they thought it was an item planted in the press with no
    validity.

Wow its been so long ago that some parts are fuzzy now but, I thought I heard her ex-husband or the man that was there with her ex-husband at the time knew more than what was being said.
    Charles is online. You can go ask him directly. Let me know.

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Charles is online. You can go ask him directly. Let me know.
    LMFAO. Now he's intimating that he's friends with Charles Hewitt. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Thanks Marv......
    ..but I truly have my own connections.

Thanks Marv......
    ..but I truly have my own connections.
    Ok. No problem

Motown hushed the whole thing up because the whole thing was fishy..not in line with The Supreme image..Cindys still had the bruises visible on the last Johnny Carson and Ed Sullivan apperances..

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Motown hushed the whole thing up because the whole thing was fishy..not in line with The Supreme image..Cindys still had the bruises visible on the last Johnny Carson and Ed Sullivan apperances..
    Very fishy, kidnapping indeed - just ask the ex husband - who is said to be very fishy indeed.

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Very fishy, kidnapping indeed - just ask the ex husband - who is said to be very fishy indeed.
    I tip my hat to you TopDiva. How many other 19 year old students can study for exams and research Cindy Birdsong's ex husband Charles Hewitt at the same time? Well done.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jonc View Post
    I tip my hat to you TopDiva. How many other 19 year old students can study for exams and research Cindy Birdsong's ex husband Charles Hewitt at the same time? Well done.
    I thought they where monitoring you on this board since they let you back. And as a student that is what I do research. Boom !!!!!!n There it is !!!!!!

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    I thought they where monitoring you on this board since they let you back. And as a student that is what I do research. Boom !!!!!!n There it is !!!!!!
    I was giving you a compliment dearest heart. Don't be so touchy.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jonc View Post
    I was giving you a compliment dearest heart. Don't be so touchy.
    Well, thank you - Have a Happy Holiday Season.