[REMOVE ADS]

"Function At The Junction" - Marvin Gaye?

According to a well known and respected Motown artist, it is Marvin Gaye who is singing on "Function At The Junction" here. Has this been discussed on the forum before? Anyone know the truth or the story behind it? They say there is also a Shorty Long original version but it is rare to find. I'm confused.

I don't recall this being discussed before. Maybe if you do a search of the Archives you'll find something. But this isn't Marvin.

Er, that sure sounds like Shorty to me!

Cheers

Paul

It's Shorty of course. Sounds nothing like MPG!

I agree that it sounds like Shorty and not Marvin.

Of course it's Shorty. I'm wondering where the notion that it is Marvin came from.

This isn't the first time people have miscredited a song to Marvin... it's getting tiresome too. He didn't do Stand by Me or When a Man Loves a Woman but people not in the know claim it's him. So obviously he didn't do Function at the Junction either. He and Shorty have very distinct voices. Hell, if you don't know how Marvin Gaye, one of the most famous musical voices in history, then you're in bad need of serious education.

thomas96 Guest
    Who's the "well known and respected Motown artist?"

It sounds to me like someone who had never heard of Shorty Long heard this for the first time and just assumed it was Marvin Gaye as it was "Motown".

I can tell the difference, as others here can, but I can see how the untrained ear might be fooled.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Who's the "well known and respected Motown artist?"
    The same one that says "No...That's Marvin Gaye singing. There is a Shorty Long version. But this is not it".

For what it's worth I've never personally doubted it was Shorty Long singing - he has a distinctive voice on record, but given the above thought I would seek views here. I can't find any trace of Marvin recording the song on DFTMC.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 05-22-2015 at 11:37 AM.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    The same one that says "No...That's Marvin Gaye singing. There is a Shorty Long version. But this is not it".
    Yeah I know what was said, but I still don't know who said it.

Jesus Christ... if the people at DFTMC can't locate a Marvin version, this person must've been told this by a good liar because there is no MG version of "Function" lol

The Marvin Gaye hypothesis comes from a former Miracle as can be seen in the comments to this video on YouTube. YOU WILL NEED TO CLICK TO WATCH IT ON YOUTUBE [[then you can see the comment from 5 days ago)
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 05-25-2015 at 08:25 AM.

That's the same man that gave the function, remember the big affair at the junction?

I think Billy Griffin is mistaken. That's Shorty Long, just a sped up version. MotownMaster's videos always featured high pitched 45's of Motown songs, this is no exception. That's Shorty Long.