[REMOVE ADS]

Did Diana Ross and The Supremes ever Tour with the Temptations

With the album, "Join", TCB telecast and then the following "GIT", did Motown ever have plans for the two groups to tours together ?

supremester Guest
    They appeared on the same bill a few times, but never toured together. They were too huge. DR&TS were filling arenas on their own and didn't need support like that. In some markets, it was the same for The Tempts. I would have loved to see Diana & Eddie sing it together - they are killer together on TCB - you can see their mutual fondness.

In one interview, Cindy said that often they wouldn't even know that they were sharing a bill until they arrived at the venue.

The Supes and Temps did indeed travel and tour together in the summer of 1968. I saw the Temps open for DR and The Supremes at the Carousel Theater in Framingham MA.
    However no duets. In the summer of 1969 at the same theater the opening act was Stevie Wonder.
    Last edited by dba; 05-19-2015 at 12:18 PM.

I was gonna say that a friend of mine told me that he saw DRATS and The Tempts in '68 at the Yale Bowl.

Didn't they tour together in their early years on the Motortown revues? Or are we discussing their heyday!

Were they ever on the same bill in 1969? I see they were in 1968, but that was before their "Join" album was completed and released. They wouldn't have "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" to sing if it wasn't released.

I know they performed together in 1972 at Valley Forge.

supremester Guest
    I don't believe they ever toured or traveled together. I really think there were just a few gigs together here and there.

AWESOME
    This group seems to have all the right answers. I could not remember them touring together and someone of authority challenge and said they did. Only Otis and Diana, Mary and Cindy would probably remember for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dba View Post
    The Supes and Temps did indeed travel and tour together in the summer of 1968. I saw the Temps open for DR and The Supremes at the Carousel Theater in Framingham MA.
    However no duets. In the summer of 1969 at the same theater the opening act was Stevie Wonder.
    I'm pretty sure they were at The Carousel Theater in the summer of 1967 - it was in August just after Cindy joined. The program booklet was bronze/copper with DMF in gold outfits. I got Diana's autograph. Cindy told me she wasn't permitted to sign autographs at the time.

Opening night the ladies wore tuxedoes which I thought strange since The Temptations also wore tuxedoes. Unfortunately they did not sing or perform together.

In 1969, at the same theater, the booklets were blue, which had pictures of DMC.

Thanks johnjeb for the clarification. I now remember because I still have the program. Don't think we were there the same night because I think I would have remembered the tux's as opposed to the gowns.
    I loved this venue and DR and The Supes made regular summertime appearances there.

Name:  Carousel Theater 1967.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  89.7 KB
    Here is the ad for the 1967 season. Note the billing and the photo used [[from 1964).
    There is a FB page for the Carousel! Top price to see both groups was 5.95

Quote Originally Posted by dba View Post
    Name:  Carousel Theater 1967.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  89.7 KB
    Here is the ad for the 1967 season. Note the billing and the photo used [[from 1964).
    There is a FB page for the Carousel! Top price to see both groups was 5.95
    Thanks dba for the info on the FB page. I just visited the site - nice memories. I'm fairly certain the theater was on property at the corner of Route 30 and Speen St. Coincidentally, my doctor's office is at that intersection almost directly opposite from the parking lot entrance on Speen St.

Strange there is no date for The Supremes 1967 appearance. I'm sure I have something in the attic along with those pictures of the ladies in tuxes.

It's possible this ad was in a newspaper in May or June 1967 announcing the season for The Carousel. So at that time it was still The Supremes -- before the name change and Florence's departure.

The 1969 ad on the FB page shows DRATS with Stevie Wonder and also Temps with Gladys Knight & The Pips. I was at both of those shows.

I also saw The Association, as well as Phyllis Diller with the group Every Mother's Son. who had a hit with Come On Down To My Boat [[what a mismatch).