[REMOVE ADS]

Remembering B.B. King

I mean no disrespect to the other post on Mr. King but I wanted to add a separate post with some special memories.

On August 24, 1994, my students and I were invited to see B.B. King play at the Ontario Place Forum in Toronto as well as a backstage visit. We were expecting a quick visit as he had several people waiting for autographs and pictures. Mr. King was just so humble, gracious and kind and spent 30 minutes with us. Afterwards, we watching him sign records, have photos taken, etc. and he stayed until everyone left smiling.

Over the years, we met any time he was in Toronto and he always had us meet him on his tour bus before the show as he did not want the kids to stay up too late. He would offer pop and then tell just incredible stories that included the good, bad and ugly. One time when he was telling a story, he stopped and said to one boy, "Son, you keep looking at my ring and I don't think you are listening to me" and then he proceeded to take off the ring and handed it to the boy. He said, "You can wear it but you must listen and don't go trying to run as even though I am old, I can still catch you."

My favorite memory and meeting occurred when he met a high school student and asked, "What do you want to take in college?" The young man answered, "I can't afford college." Mr. King offered to pay part of his college fee and even checked back with me later to ask about the young man. He never did go to college but the offer was there.

We will miss Mr. King but we smile with his memory and boy are we ever BLESSED with many smiles.

[[ I wanted to add my favorite photo of Mr. King with kids but I cannot seem to upload it here)

Gotta go and play some B.B. King tonight.

What's funny is BB loved to talk. Even in the John Hiatt cover "Riding With The King" that he recorded with Eric Clapton, there's a middle part where he talks about where he grew up.

R.I.P., B.B.! If there's a rock & roll heaven, you know they got a hell of a band!

No problem Satipe,
    AS far as I'm concerned, there can't be too many threads on this true music legend.. I was fortunate enough to know many luminaries in the business, but I never got to meet Mr. King. I will always remember him though.

Thank you for sharing your story Satipe. You let us know the man, not the artist.

B.B. was one of the special ones, as satipe pointed out. He will be missed by everyone.

Bless his heart, may he now rest in peace, at last.

S.S.