[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wells You Tube Video

While remembering this great lady on her birthday I stumbled across this on You Tube, had never seen this before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU6kkOcozTo

Dig The Way I Feel has a great sing-a-long to it, which could've made it a hit had it received its fair share of airplay. It did chart R&B and also pop, however. I remember the first time I heard it on the radio was at night on WLAC Nashville, Tenn., which we could pick up in Central Florida at night. It was John R who played it.

Mary's Jubilee tracks were very different from what she had been doing at her earlier labels. [[It was interesting in this clip to see her looking so trim and wearing a 'fro, no doubt to underscore that she was no longer the fluffy former Motown princess.) She and Cecil took more control and the result was a much more spare sound which suited her voice very well. Sadly, by that time, the industry had all but turned its back on her and she was regarded by many as a has-been, which was grossly unfair, but that's the business.

Does anyone other than me see a resemblance here to Jean Terrell?

Love Marys' look during this period.Her afro would get bigger by the next year. I think Jean Terrell had an afro around this time too.

Mary looked slimmer than on her cover shot of Servin' Up Some Soul. I can't say that I liked her Jubilee material but when she performed anything she was elegant and beautiful.

She was pregnant with her 2nd child, Stacy, on that cover.I loved the stuff her & Cecil wrote & produced.

There was a second Jubilee lp titled Come Together that didn't get released. Surprisingly, it should have been since both Dig The Way I Feel and Never Give A Man The World charted.
    However, the title track was the best! Yes, the Beatles' song! She rocked it!

Quote Originally Posted by rrussi View Post
    There was a second Jubilee lp titled Come Together that didn't get released. Surprisingly, it should have been since both Dig The Way I Feel and Never Give A Man The World charted.
    However, the title track was the best! Yes, the Beatles' song! She rocked it!
    In one of her cd compilations, it was suggested that COME TOGETHER might have been released on 8-track? I vaguely recall reading that. On that album, I did end up liking her version of LEAVIN' ON A JET PLANE.

yes, reese I had the 8track & gave it to Mary & Cecil.I had ordered it from a distributor at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Does anyone other than me see a resemblance here to Jean Terrell?
    In appearance, yes. In voice, no. They each had their own unique gifts. Ms. Terrell will always be one of my absolute favorite voices.

Jubilee, however, did issue the Come Together lp on vinyl or 8-track or cassette at the time. They cancelled it for some reason. Yet, it was manufactured and I guess sat in their stockroom some place when copies started getting out in the early 70s.