[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I think you're right, Marv. When I saw some of these recent pics of Aretha, I also noticed that she may have lost some weight.

Just a thought:

In most cases, when someone has bypass surgery, they must first lose weight; I am not sure of the reasoning, but I have had three friends that have had this procedure, and in all three of their cases, they were on a strict diet for quite some time beforehand. Maybe this explains Ree Ree's weight loss?

Also: is Ree a diabetic? It's my understanding that having this procedure will "cure" [[or at least curb) symptoms.

It's just speculation. But like I said I don't know anyone who holds a vigil for bypass surgery unless she had chest pains and needed triple bypass, you know? It's all speculation as we still don't know what's ailing her at the moment.

Just for clarity's sake, this is the generally accepted definition of Morbid Obesity:

Condition of being extremely overweight. Morbid Obesity is defined as having a BMI greater than 40. It may also be defined as being more than 100 pounds overweight if a male, or being more than 80 pounds overweight if a female.

With that in mind, Aretha is about 5' 5". So if her weight exceeds 240lbs, then she would fit the medical definition of being morbidly obese.

Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    Just for clarity's sake, this is the generally accepted definition of Morbid Obesity:

Condition of being extremely overweight. Morbid Obesity is defined as having a BMI greater than 40. It may also be defined as being more than 100 pounds overweight if a male, or being more than 80 pounds overweight if a female.

With that in mind, Aretha is about 5' 5". So if her weight exceeds 240lbs, then she would fit the medical definition of being morbidly obese.
    But she ain't 240lbs and she ain't morbidly obese. Thanks Chi Drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    But she ain't 240lbs and she ain't morbidly obese. Thanks Chi Drummer.
    Looking at her, Marv... I think now she is probably between 220 and 240. I think a couple years ago, she was a good 300. Mama Cass weighed 300 pounds at her heaviest, and 180 at her lightest... to give you frame of reference.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Looking at her, Marv... I think now she is probably between 220 and 240. I think a couple years ago, she was a good 300. Mama Cass weighed 300 pounds at her heaviest, and 180 at her lightest... to give you frame of reference.
    Jill, you really think Aretha weighs that much?

I think Jill has it about right on this matter, Marv. I was concerned for Aretha regarding her obvious over-weight condition.

Remember that Aretha was hospitalized in early November for a "mystery illness." This recent surgical procedure may have had something to do with that. I think the gastric bypass theory is way off.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Jill, you really think Aretha weighs that much?
    Yeah, Marv... I do. My sister weighs 300 pounds, and she is definately the same size Aretha has been. But like most have said here, she's lost a noticeable amount of weight the last several months. Just guessing, i'd say in the 50-70 pound range.

My only real knowledge of weight is one of my secretaries is 299; she is about 5'5" and she does look like Aretha did in the past, but Aretha has bigger gazzoomers. But she has lost weight.

I can't quite see Aretha doing the gastric thing or breast reduction at her age unless it is all causing her too much physical discomfort.

It's a bit silly to issue press releases and hold news conference to say it's all a secret..........; if it really was, just don't say anything.

Hmmmm..........on the other hand, I think we've had that on SD before too............

From the Detroit News today 120810:
    Smokey Robinson says Aretha is doing better.
    Singer Smokey Robinson says that Aretha Franklin is feeling better after her recent surgery and will be discharged from the hospital soon. Robinson phoned up his former neighbor from Detroit's North End on Sunday night, while he was in a limo on his way to the Kennedy Center in Washington D.C. for the Kennedy Center honors, according to the Associated Press. Robinson, whom Franklin has called her "sandbox friend", they go back so far, says he called Franklin because it is the first Kennedy Center honors program he's attended without her. He did not disclose the nature of the Queen of Soul's illness, which she has kept private as she recovers.
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20101...s-doing-better

Huffington Post is reporting that the Queen has pancreatic cancer. I know cancer runs in her family but If true, I am so sad.

^ Yeah. And if I'm not mistaken, the source of this was the same who confirmed that Michael Landon and Patrick Swayze ALSO had pancreatic cancer [[the Enquirer). Most of the time they're known for outlandish, often bizarre stories of celebrities' private lives but something tells me they may not be making it up. I think knowing her celebrity, Aretha couldn't make everything "private". I know her people are still being mum about it.

Pancreatic cancer is often an incurable and inoperable disease. Now whether or not I believe that Aretha only has one year to live [[that's probably the embellishment of the story), I can actually believe the cancer report. It's a sad day in music, it really is.

We're still praying for you Ree-Ree!

I've thought this was either something very serious or something very personal, like the suggestions that have been made.

Cancer of the pancreas is a dreadful diagnosis. The prognosis and life expectancy are not good.

The Enquirer is a dreadful rag but very often they do have the "true nub" of a story and are first out with it.

We will have to hope they are very wrong about this one.

^ Fox2 Detroit confirmed Aretha does indeed have cancer.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...fox-2-confirms

Aretha Franklin Has Cancer, Fox 2 Confirms

Updated: Wednesday, 08 Dec 2010, 1:19 PM EST
    Published : Wednesday, 08 Dec 2010, 1:16 PM EST

Detroit

myFOXdetroit.com Staff - Fox 2 News in Detroit has confirmed that the "Queen of Soul" has cancer. A close relative of Aretha Franklin tells reporter Al Allen that they are very concerned.

At this time Franklin's family says she is doing "OK", but they are asking for the continued prayers and thoughts from the community.

Today The National Enquirer reported that Franklin has incurable pancreatic cancer. Fox 2 could not confirm the type of cancer Franklin has. Last week she underwent surgery for a mystery illness.

The surgery was deemed a success, but it came under mysterious circumstances. A few weeks ago Franklin canceled all concerts through May 2011 due to "medical reasons."

This is a statement released by Franklin following her surgery last Thursday [[December 2nd):

The surgery was highly successful. God is still in control. I had superb doctors and nurses whom were blessed by all the prayers of the city and the country. God bless you all for your prayers! -- The Queen of Soul, Ms. Aretha Franklin

Fox 2's Amy Lange will have a full video report today on Fox 2 News at 5 pm. Updates will be made right here on myFOXdetroit.com.

Send your well-wishes to Aretha Franklin in the comment module below.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    They aired a clip of the vigil on the news this morning. The news stated that it was an undisclosed illness. Aretha has always been very private as stated above. I really doubt that it's gastric bypass. I don't want to spread false info but the same told me over a week ago that she was really ill said that it was [[AND THIS IS HEARSAY COMING FROM A FRIEND) cancerous, but I'm not sure but at any rate, let's continue to hold her up in prayer.
    Unfortunately the bad news was just confirmed. Keeping her in prayer

Hi this is Kev-Lo

Get well soon Ms Aretha Franklin