[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Prayer vigil was held for Aretha

I can't even believe I'm typing this, this is sad!

Prayer vigil held for ailing Aretha Franklin

The Associated Press
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010; 9:45 PM

DETROIT -- A community prayer vigil has been held in Detroit for Aretha Franklin, a day before organizers say the singing legend is to undergo a medical procedure.

City Councilwoman JoAnn Watson and others gathered downtown Wednesday to pray for Franklin. Last month, she announced she was canceling all concert dates and personal appearances through May on the orders of her doctors.

Franklin wasn't at the vigil, but in a statement she thanked the City Council, saying "all prayers are good."

A news release announcing the vigil says Franklin's medical procedure is scheduled for Thursday. A message seeking comment was left with Franklin's publicist, Tracey Jordan.

LINK: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...120107136.html

Hope she's going to be OK; there is no more news than what Midnight gave us, for now.

About a week ago a friend told me that she was not doing well at all. I chose not to post because I wasn't sure if the news was just hearsay. I didn't want to set off any unnecessary alarms. I know that she wasn't at her gospel event in Detroit on Thanksgiving night but the event still went on. Will keep her in my prayers.

^ I was about to ask did she even make it to the dinner? Now that's bad when the host can't make it. You know something is seriously wrong. I'm playing "Call Me" and I'm still in disbelief that we may end up losing Aretha.

This all sounds very cryptic. It's also very confusing. Her performances were abruptly canceled until May, her prayer vigil was held, so, i'm wondering what the hell it is, and if it is grave, or just extremely serious. Has there been any disclosure of exactly what the medical situation is? Sorry to sound cold, but it's hard for me to get worked up about something we don't know about.

I looked last night ~ nothing more. I guess I understand what you are saying Soulster; these days you never know why people are saying and doing things.

Whats so hard to understand? Aretha has always been a private person and probably has instructed her PR people not to put her business out there. We know as much as what has been put out there, we will have to deal with that. If you know how to pray , then do that. Her dates were canceled for a obvious reason: 'Recovery time from a medical procedure'. God bless you Aretha, what ever it is - the battle is not ours, ITS THE LORDS. GOD BLESS US ALL.

I'm not sure how private she really is at all times; remember Tina Turner, Beyonce and the Queen of Soul?

If you want to stay really quiet, you say nothing.

^ That's not the same thing. That was actually the only time Aretha PUBLICLY cracked like that. It was an open secret beforehand that Aretha was not very nice [[least to fellow contemporary female vocalists with the exception of some Detroit legends like Diana Ross for instance; though I heard she had disdain for Martha Reeves covering "Respect" on her and the Vandellas' live album). But that time when she let it be known, it was almost as if she reached that point where she didn't give a diddly squat about how she would be portrayed at that time. I mean you only hear about her problems like second thoughts [[getting arrested for public intoxication one time in 1968, then getting arrested again for disturbing the peace in 1969, an alcoholic problem that continued until the early 1990s, an addiction to chain smoking that lasted until 1992, possible prescription drug abuse, cocaine, binging on food, etc.). I just think for someone to be "cold", she went through some mental, emotional, and psychological abuse that left her defensive and seemingly mean when this is the only way she could confront her problems was through attacking those who admire her [[she once called Mahalia Jackson a "b***h" for not wanting to help her minister father, with whom Mahalia was once close to, avoid a conviction on cocaine charges and about two years after that, Mahalia died without her and Aretha - who sang at her funeral - reconciling their differences). Aretha has a whole lot of demons. That voice that you hear on those records wasn't just from someone who had a great voice, there's pain in it, there's torment in it, there's confusion, all the symptoms of someone whose life was possibly a circus. She falls into that category of artists who have mad talent but are deemed maniacal.

I think her reasons to keep things private in HER SITUATIONS had to do with being upset that TIME magazine told the story of Aretha's mother abandoning her at six. Now that would drive any person crazy - a mother abandoning you or at least moving elsewhere and then having your grandmother carry the reins when your daddy has to work as a member of the clergy. We really don't know if Barbara Siggers simply abandoned her or was forced to leave without contact with her children that she had with C.L. Franklin and their marriage was volatile and abusive. So Aretha probably at one point did see them fighting. Aretha has seen a lot of things and she tries to cover it up.

So her covering up this "serious illness" is her way of keeping her privacy. She don't want to have her illness exploited to a media that may take her illness and try to find the reasons as to why it happened [[like Michael Jackson's). Aretha is a deeply troubled and complex woman. Despite her behavior and everything, I'm gonna still pray for her.

[video]http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/25976876/index.html

I tried to throw this video on ................but won't seem to work right now. Maybe it will work for one of the rest of you.

I wonder if it's a gastric bypass. Anyone else wonder the same?

They aired a clip of the vigil on the news this morning. The news stated that it was an undisclosed illness. Aretha has always been very private as stated above. I really doubt that it's gastric bypass. I don't want to spread false info but the same told me over a week ago that she was really ill said that it was [[AND THIS IS HEARSAY COMING FROM A FRIEND) cancerous, but I'm not sure but at any rate, let's continue to hold her up in prayer.

E online is reporting Aretha's awake after a "successful surgery" for an "undisclosed" ailment and thanking everyone for their prayers.. Great news!! Get well Miss Aretha and God Bless

Aretha is fine

http://content.usatoday.com/communit.../1?csp=usat.me

A community prayer vigil was held in Detroit yesterday for Aretha Franklin, 68, who is undergoing a medical procedure today.

UPDATE: We just got news from Franklin's publicist that the surgery went well, although no details as to the nature of the procedure were released. Here's the statement:

"The surgery was highly successful. God is still in control. I had superb doctors and nurses whom were blessed by all the prayers of the city and the country. God bless you all for your prayers!"

The Queen of Soul, Ms. Aretha Franklin

On Wednesday, City Councilwoman JoAnn Watson and others gathered in downtown Detroit to pray for Franklin, reports AP. Last month, Franklin announced she was canceling all concert dates and personal appearances through May on the orders of her doctors. She did not disclose the nature of her illness.

Franklin wasn't at the vigil, but in a statement she thanked the City Council, saying "all prayers are good."

WDIV in Detroit reported that Watson spoke to the singer before the vigil. "We asked her, 'Where would you like us to have it? Inside? Outside?' She said, 'Where the Detroit statue is — [that's] a beautiful place to have it,' " Watson told WDIV. "So we are standing, and praying, on her behalf, and it's a blessing to do that."

Watson told a reporter Franklin was in "great spirits."

On Wednesday, the National Recording Academy of Arts & Sciences announced that Franklin had been nominated for a Grammy Award for her duet with Ron Isley, You've Got A Friend, in the Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals category.

The point I was trying to make is that it didn't sound serious enough for everyone to go overboard with something like a vigil. I grew up around medicine, and have had a lot of illness and death in my family, so when I hear reports of someone being "ill", I don't get too emotional until I know exactly what it is.

Something's still not adding up. Plus she hasn't been discharged from the hospital yet. I'm thinking it could be something unrelated to what is ailing her.
    Last edited by midnightman; 12-02-2010 at 11:05 PM.

Observation? She could afford an extra night's stay, unlike most of us who would have been discharged three hours after the procedure.

^ I guess. *shrug*

Like midnightman, I've also wondered about Aretha's personal "demons", dysfunctional behavior. She had her first child when she was still a child [[who was looking after her ?) This is skipped over in her autobiography. No doubt about it, the pain and pathos she's endured is expressed in her music--yet she sings joyful songs with equal conviction!

A self-described diva [[an Aries), I see Aretha's behavior toward other female performers as fircely competitive rather than mean. LOL....she probably heard Martha Reeves sing "Respect", and said, "OK, I'm gonna do Martha's song then"--and she sung "My Baby Loves Me" live.

In spite of her seeming cockiness, I think Aretha has a wicked sense of humor about her own majesty bordering on camp. I hope she heals quickly and gets her sassy self back. Love you Aretha!
    Last edited by sunshineonacloudyday; 12-03-2010 at 06:01 AM.

^ Yeah I noticed that about her. Especially when she imitated Diana one time [[Diana covered "Call Me" and Aretha responded by doing "Reach Out" live somewhere lmao).

But here's a recent picture of Aretha where she last performed:

It was at Albertina Walker's funeral. This was the last performance Aretha gave before she was told to stop touring for six months.

Good news from AOL tonight. Ree's surgery has been a success and she has issued her own statement thanking those who payed for her.

So what was it? I've been busy the last couple days and didn't hear. I heard gastric bypass and some heart procedure.

For my part, some of this looks a little "set up" to generate some publicity; cynical but looks like it's possible.

I recently read that Dennis Edwards duets with Aretha on her new album; and he says the single could go to #1. And he said the CD never gets released because Aretha has a studio in her home and keeps changing it all the time.

^ Rob, I don't even believe they would pull a vigil if she was going through gastric bypass.

PLUS, she broke two ribs, do you actually think in that picture I just posted that this was a woman who would FAKE an illness?

I doubt she did this for publicity.

Besides HER PR is not being clear what the procedure was and as far as I know, I've seen so many stories of artists who suffer illness, they'll have successful surgery on a procedure than months later, you read that they died.

So I don't know why Aretha should be singled out. Like I said more is going on than what is revealed and Aretha's folks are still not saying what she has.

To be told by a doctor not to perform for 6 months and to miss your own event, even though it goes on has to be more than just a publicity stunt or gastric bypass...hope she gets well soon

All I know is I saw the wonderful news on CNN today and I am very happy. God Bless Aretha!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    For my part, some of this looks a little "set up" to generate some publicity; cynical but looks like it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    To be told by a doctor not to perform for 6 months and to miss your own event, even though it goes on has to be more than just a publicity stunt or gastric bypass...hope she gets well soon
    Exactly. Let's just hope she recovers well to continue to perform for us for years from now though tomorrow's not promised.

I find it sad that some feel Aretha would be so cynical, I Trust she will make a quick and full recovery, J

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Hi Carlo...lol!

Aretha does not need publicity! Her reputation alone speaks for itself.

I just dont understand why her PR called a news conference considering all the privacy now , to announce she was ok when no one knew she was sick!!???

I hope the queen is ok,i don't like that[prayer vigil]stuff,i know folks mean well but when i hear that stuff i see buzzards flying...[and i haven't had a drop...yet]!

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Aretha does not need publicity! Her reputation alone speaks for itself.
    How true...... I know everyone keeps wondering what it was, but it really is none of our business, although I have no problem talking about my medical stuff, some people do. I am secretly hoping that she is getting those ginormous titties pruned back, I think she'd feel much better if she did, but I wouldn't lay money on it.

Jillfoster!!! You're a bad one from time to time and very funny.

If I had boobs, big or small, I would let them be. But Aretha has them going as big as they ever get.

Luke has made the point well here: "I just dont understand why her PR called a news conference considering all the privacy now , to announce she was ok when no one knew she was sick!!???

It doesn't make any sense.

But Aretha does things her way, how she darn well wants.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I just dont understand why her PR called a news conference considering all the privacy now , to announce she was ok when no one knew she was sick!!???
    I don't get that either. And obviously something deeper is going on than is being known. The only other update we got was Jesse Jackson visiting her. He basically was following the PR angle: "she's doing fine."

What is not being said here is that Aretha is always at high-risk for her health due to her morbid obesity, even if it's just a cold.

Any surgery has its' risks. Surgery for a morbidly obese person is of greater risk. She may have had to cancel shows leading up to the surgery to monitor her health and/or stabilize any pre-existing conditions, of which obesity is one of these.

Likewise recovery has it's own risks and would be complicated for the same reason.

If she had a procedure, such as gall-bladder surgery, that for a healthy person would be simple, for Aretha it would be risky and possibly life-threatening.

If her diagnosis was far more serious, such as cancer, then there are the follow-up treatments that are of concern, as well. These can go one for weeks or months and can leave a patient feeling worse than the days just after surgery.

Five years ago my sister had a breast cancer diagnosis. Fortunately a mild and curable form. She was out of work for three months to undergo a mastectomy and reconstructive surgeries and only 6 chemotherapy treatments. She was in good physical health which was in her favor. She is well now and finally off her chemo oral medication.

So maybe this situation gave Aretha a reality check regarding her obesity. I certainly hope it was nothing more than a routine procedure for a minor ailment.

BTW I saw Aretha this past summer. I thought she looked less obese than what we see in pictures and on TV - I was pleasantly surprised. However she is still clinically morbidly obese.

with all of the secrecy it is not a gastric bypass she wouldnt have cancelled that many performances for something like that. I hope Aretha is ok.
    Steph

If it was a gastric bypass just speculation mind you, something didn't set right so I asked by sister who is an RN. She works with patients who have had the gastric bypass procedure. The age factor dosen't fit in Aretha's case. The general cut-off point is 60-62 yrs of age. Our oldest 1st cousin had one at age of 59 and that was 4 yrs ago with some success. The weight came off but she had complications due to years of obesity & smoking [[which she had stopped a few yrs prior to surgury). One of the doctors who works with my sister added that patient with wealth and access could however find a surgeon willing to perform the procedure. He however would not.

MY heart and prayers go out to Aretha Franklin...long live the Queen!!! My sister loves Aretha Franklin & Aretha can do no wrong in her book. God Bless.

She is obese, but not morbidly.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/26001238/index.html

"She is going through a severe health challenge, perhaps the greatest of her life." - radio personality Mildred Gaddid.

Still, I understand the need for privacy, but why even announce anything if you want to keep it quiet?

Yeah it's real difficult to try to contrast the two differences together.

You only announce things when you don't want it to be private. That's what's all wrong here.

Soul............truthfully, if Aretha Franklin is not morbidly obese, then how can anybody be? She's a great singer but isn't she also about as big as a person can get?

Just heard on the news here that Aretha's surgery has gone well and that she is recovering. She thanks all who sent their prayers and well wishes

You only announce things when you don't want it to be private. That's what's all wrong here.

Soul............truthfully, if Aretha Franklin is not morbidly obese, then how can anybody be? She's a great singer but isn't she also about as big as a person can get?
    I've seen some morbidly obese people... Aretha - THANK GOD - doesn't fit the description if you know what I mean. I've seen some morbidly obese people and they can hardly get out of the bed!

Well, each culture has it's own standards of what obese is. In some countries, Aretha would be very desirable. And, there are plenty of chubby chasers. In some countries, toothpick thin, and women with no female attributes is more desirable.

Here's your woman!
    Last edited by soulster; 12-06-2010 at 03:55 PM.

This a picture of Aretha from earlier this year at the Tony Awards. I believe it was in the Spring or early Summer. She is not morbidly obese. She has lost weight.

LOL.......you made that point well, Soulster! I clearly understand the difference.

One more question..........the man on the bottom, "is he a passa away?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SPA9QOvKDA

You can tell she's lost weight around her face too. Her weight in total has also fluctuated in recent months.