[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes @ Motown the Musical Last Night

Attachment 9399

Former Supremes

45 mins ·

Last night the ladies were guests on the red carpet at the premier for the Motown Musical in Hollywood, CA., at the historic pantages theatre. Other Celebrities included Motown founder Berry Gordy jr. Smokey Robinson, Toni Braxton, Sidney Poitier, Niecy Nash, Loretta Devine and more!!!!! After the show the ladies attended the after party. Scherrie, Lynda and Joyce loved the show!
    — with Scherrie Payne.

Lynda Laurence is beginning to look more and more like late Salsa great Celia Cruz!

Attachment 9400

They look like sisters.

Attachment 9401

I don't mean to court controversy, but to me these ladies, no matter how talented and what the contracts read, simple are/were/not ever The Supremes!

Marv, as usual, your posts and photos are tasteless and cruel. Lynda Laurence was a legitimate member of The Supremes, a lovely lady and undeserving of this type of treatment.

Ralph, could you PLEASE sanction this and not let SDF be reduced again to this type of offensive posting. I thought the new policy was to prevent this.

The woman simply does not deserve this. Nobody does.

RobertZ I appreciate that you express your opinions much more eloquently than some on here. As a lifelong fan/follower/researcher of Motown and especially the Supremes, I will say that Lynda and Scherrie added their share of spark, class and unique talent that kept the Supremes going even after the promotions stopped. They worked very hard and got very little for their efforts.

Remember, entertainers are performing a job that they get paid for. IT'S A JOB FOLKS. They were recruited by Mary Wilson, accepted by Motown. I wonder if the lady at a department store who replaces another lady gets this type of attack. Change is inherent in all situations.

Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, Florence Ballard, Cindy Birdsong, Jean Terrell, Lynda Laurence, Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene are all legitimate Supremes. If you can't accept them, then at least respect them. They did their best.

They say they are going to Europe for tour dates this year.

no matter what anyone says or feels, Cindy Birdsong, Jean Terrell, Lynda Lawrence, Scherrie Payne, & Susaye Green were THE SUPREMES.

They arrived in a limo so they must be somebody that mattered.

Apparently they didn't have to stage any entrance or cross through some hedges to attract attention!

Scherrie, Lynda and Joyce all look incredible. Their beauty has never faded.

supremester Guest
    I just did a spit take that would make Danny Thomas proud. Thank you for that.

As far as snipes against Lynda or others, to me The Supremes are DMF. To me DR&TS are DMC. The others are "70's Supremes." Motown owns the name and decides who is or is not a Supreme. I respect them all for doing what Motown asked of them, as I do DR&TS 2000 - the last official grouping per Motown. Lynda, Jean, Scherrie & Susaye are all extremely talented singers who did what they could. The disrespect for these ladies increased during RTL when Mary began referring to them as "fakes" & "replacements" forgetting she once literally begged fans to accept each "New Supreme." She has even gone as far as to refer to Lynda as "a temp" - a fine appellation for someone who saved her butt a few times and a far cry from her description in Supreme Faith.

Concerning certain rude, childish and offensive posts that may be in this or other threads: they come from people with person or persons with issues beyond who is or is not a Supreme. They will never cease. Occasionally a lucid, intelligent member like Crystal Edwards will lose it and get banned, but that's just how it is and everyone needs to try and make the best of it. Personally, I miss Crystal, but her comment to Ralph left him no choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    They arrived in a limo so they must be somebody that mattered.

Apparently they didn't have to stage any entrance or cross through some hedges to attract attention!

Beautiful and Talented
    This is the only group I have yet to see perform but I have heard them.

supremester Guest
    I have seen them and they are faboo!!

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, Florence Ballard, Cindy Birdsong, Jean Terrell, Lynda Laurence, Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene are all legitimate Supremes.
    Yes. Yes they are. Don't forget Barbara Martin.

It is beyond me why on a site dedicated to them and many other groups, commenters are allowed to trash them in such a disrespectful, hurtful and divisive way. It really is sad.

I just wish someone would post a pic of the person doing the trashing. I've seen it and it ain't pretty

I just wish someone would post a pic of the person doing the trashing. I've seen it and it ain't pretty
    Respectfully, that is not constructive. We should not emulate behavior that we wish to see end.

Marv, as usual, your posts and photos are tasteless and cruel. Lynda Laurence was a legitimate member of The Supremes, a lovely lady and undeserving of this type of treatment.

Ralph, could you PLEASE sanction this and not let SDF be reduced again to this type of offensive posting. I thought the new policy was to prevent this.

The woman simply does not deserve this. Nobody does.
    Actually Celia Cruz is as beloved in the Latin American community as any of the lovely and talented ladies we love on Soulful Detroit, certainly including those pictured here, and Ms. Cruz' fans consider her a beauty.
    Last edited by RobertZ; 05-01-2015 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    Actually Celia Cruz is as beloved in the Latin American community as any of the lovely and talented ladies we love on Soulful Detroit, and Ms. Cruz' fans consider her a beauty.
    In New York, Ms. Cruz is highly regarded and loved. Her music is still played often.

azuca!
    Last edited by marv2; 05-01-2015 at 03:49 PM.

I was there last night,at the hollywood premier of Motown The Musical,Scherrie Payne and Lynda Laurence Of The Supremes with Joyce Vincent Wilson,was class all the way,i could tell Berry Gordy was happy to see them too,remember at one time they work for him,sign to his company Motown records[[Scherrie and Lynda),you're right BayouMotownMan legitimate Supremes,like it or not,i love them all,Scherrie Lynda and Joyce was so much fun at the after party lol,no Mary Wilson or Diana Ross there. p.s what a great cast,Motown The Musical is a must see,loved it,i must say,the young lady that played Diana Ross,Allison Semmes was better them the one,played on Broadway,she was sooo good lol
    Last edited by REDHOT; 05-01-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    In New York, Ms. Cruz is highly regarded and loved. Her music is still played often.
    yes but we all know thats not the point you were making it was another dig at Lynda Lawrence another REAL Supreme you dont like.

The good book of Proverbs says, "Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs."

id suggest you start taking the high road when it come to Diane, Lynda and Mr Gordy for youll feel better for it.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I was there last night,at the hollywood premier of Motown The Musical,Scherrie Payne and Lynda Laurence Of The Supremes with Joyce Vincent Wilson,was class all the way,i could tell Berry Gordy was happy to see them too,remember at one time they work for him,sign to his company Motown records[[Scherrie and Lynda),you're right BayouMotownMan legitimate Supremes,like it or not,i love them all,Scherrie Lynda and Joyce was so much fun at the after party lol,no Mary Wilson or Diana Ross there. p.s what a great cast,Motown The Musical is a must see,loved it,i must say,the young lady that played Diana Ross,Allison Semmes was better them the one,played on Broadway,she was sooo good lol
    thank you dear redhot yes Lynda and Sherrie are real true Supremes and both lovely lovely lovely ladies. im going to Motown the Musical on may 31 and cant wait to see it. ive heard wonderful things about it.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

As well as Barbara Martin -None of my LP's or CD's said Temporary or stand in or fill in until the real Supreme returns.....Wait what ??

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    no matter what anyone says or feels, Cindy Birdsong, Jean Terrell, Lynda Lawrence, Scherrie Payne, & Susaye Green were THE SUPREMES.

I thought the picture was awesome! There's lot of Facebook about this amongst many of these people that were part of Motown!

I've scanned this thread. I really can't quite grasp the problems. You guys work it out. But do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I've scanned this thread. I really can't quite grasp the problems. You guys work it out. But do it right.
    When I posted that picture, I never for a moment thought anyone would care one iota about who the hell the Supremes were or weren't!

I think it is an opportunity for those 3 ladies to celebrate a connection to Motown, like Ralph and his friends did at the museum a while ago.

I sit here and wonder what any of those women would wonder if they saw such apparent dislike aimed at them, from people that call themselves fans. Maybe they are all used to it and get together and laugh about it.

In a way, I can see the nonsense aimed at Diana Ross because she became a star in the Madonna/Beyoncé realm and they need to deal with aberrant and oddball fans. But the other Supremes really shouldn't face that.

There are lots of other pictures around on Facebook from this event.

Thanks Scherrie, Lynda and Joyce for carrying on the legacy. I just love that little powerhouse Scherrie.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    thank you dear redhot yes Lynda and Sherrie are real true Supremes and both lovely lovely lovely ladies. im going to Motown the Musical on may 31 and cant wait to see it. ive heard wonderful things about it.

Roberta
    You have a wonderful time at the show, Ms. Roberta, and be sure to post your review! I always respect your opinions.

Yes they were all Supremes and are all so beautiful and talented. And I love all of them.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 05-01-2015 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    You have a wonderful time at the show, Ms. Roberta, and be sure to post your review! I always respect your opinions.
    i will my dear Robertz. My nephew and his partner are taking me for my birthday which was last month and they tell me weve got real good seats in the orchestra.

Have a real nice weekend dear.

Roberta

Hey, we all have our favorites! Be that as it may, Barbara, Lynda and all the other ladies were and are official Supremes. I've always kind of wondered at Lynda's leveraging her brief stint in the group into the FLOS and all, but there is no doubt she was an official Supreme just like the original 3.

I'll be seeing the show in a couple weeks. I'm excited to see it!

You and Roberta are so lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    You and Roberta are so lucky!
    I hope the story isn't too glossed over. I'm not sure I want to see Berry and Diane singing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" to each other! But the performers are seem top notch from the clips I've seen on YouTube.

I'll let you know!

It's a very glossy show. Personally I was disappointed. I guess for the general public it's ok but for Motown fans it's pretty superficial.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    It's a very glossy show. Personally I was disappointed. I guess for the general public it's ok but for Motown fans it's pretty superficial.
    Lol you didnt care for it. Theres a surprise lol.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Lol you didnt care for it. Theres a surprise lol.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Roberta
    Mary's not in the show!