[REMOVE ADS]

Queen Latifah and Mo'Nique in HBO's Bessie Smith Movie - A Rave!

I don't like to stir up controversy for the sake of it, but I can NOT remain silent on an issue that bothers me greatly. A year ago, when HBO films premiered the film bio of Liberace, "Behind the Candelabra" popular media was all atwitter about how "brave" it was for to straight actors to portray the gay characters, and rewarded them with magazine cover story and endless "Entertainment Tonight" type plugs leading up to the premiere and massive coverage afterwards.

Now exactly a year after, I watched "Bessie" the HBO documentary on the life and times of legendary Blues singer, Bessie Smith, in my L.A. hotel room when it was first broadcast, viewed it again now back home in Vancouver, Canada. What I can't understand is what appears to be a wholesale media blackout. The lack of comment is SO deafening, one can hear a mouse fart.

I didn't see any magazine cover stories, Entertainment Tonight stories, etc. Behind the Candleabra got tons of publicity. Even the huge billboard promoting "Bessie" located by the Hollywood Forever Cemetery, on Melrose Avenue came down after the first airing on HBO. What gives here? Queen Latifah and Mo’Nique deserve loads of awards and press for this stunning film! Is the fact that the story involves strong Black women with lesbian overtones just "too much?"

On Queen Latifah's Facebook page, Marsha Johnson posted, "We will never receive the acceptance for our work except from us. Don't look for it. I applaud Tyler Perry for understanding that."

I'm sorry that Marsha may be very right in her statement. As for myself, I'm doing what I can to spread the word of Queen Latifah's and Mo’Nique's fine performances. A good friend, retired L.A. Times film critic, Kevin Thomas and I discussed this lack of mass media response and his reply was "It will be CRIMINAL if these two fine performances don't get nominated, and awards" during the next round of Award Presentations. 'Nuff said!

By the way, I see on Amazon that today, June 2nd marks the release of the soundtrack from Bessie. Check it outName:  P1450264.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  72.8 KB. Looks like a real must have!

Mark, I have to agree with you. Bessie Smith and Ma Rainey were pioneers on many, MANY levels in the industry and paved the way for greats like Billie Holiday. Hell, with all of the hipsters out there who proclaim to love the blues, you'd think they'd be all over this. It's a damn shame, considering the apparent brilliance of this movie.

It might not have gotten the coverage of the Liberace movie but I saw quite a few stories on Queen Latifah and BESSIE. Those were the only reason that I knew the film had actually been made. There was an article in the NY Times, as well as some spots on ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT, and a nice interview on CBS SUNDAY MORNING.

Re the film itself, I agree that Latifah and Mo'nique both did great jobs. I'm sure it was hard to capture all of the glory that was Bessie in less than two hours and some elements were introduced that weren't fleshed out, like her relationship with her sister. But overall, I enjoyed it.

^ I knew about the film via Tumblr. Queen Latifah and Mo'Nique did great jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    I don't like to stir up controversy for the sake of it, but I can NOT remain silent on an issue that bothers me greatly. A year ago, when HBO films premiered the film bio of Liberace, "Behind the Candelabra" popular media was all atwitter about how "brave" it was for to straight actors to portray the gay characters, and rewarded them with magazine cover story and endless "Entertainment Tonight" type plugs leading up to the premiere and massive coverage afterwards.

Now exactly a year after, I watched "Bessie" the HBO documentary on the life and times of legendary Blues singer, Bessie Smith, in my L.A. hotel room when it was first broadcast, viewed it again now back home in Vancouver, Canada. What I can't understand is what appears to be a wholesale media blackout. The lack of comment is SO deafening, one can hear a mouse fart.

I didn't see any magazine cover stories, Entertainment Tonight stories, etc. Behind the Candleabra got tons of publicity. Even the huge billboard promoting "Bessie" located by the Hollywood Forever Cemetery, on Melrose Avenue came down after the first airing on HBO. What gives here? Queen Latifah and Mo’Nique deserve loads of awards and press for this stunning film! Is the fact that the story involves strong Black women with lesbian overtones just "too much?"

On Queen Latifah's Facebook page, Marsha Johnson posted, "We will never receive the acceptance for our work except from us. Don't look for it. I applaud Tyler Perry for understanding that."

I'm sorry that Marsha may be very right in her statement. As for myself, I'm doing what I can to spread the word of Queen Latifah's and Mo’Nique's fine performances. A good friend, retired L.A. Times film critic, Kevin Thomas and I discussed this lack of mass media response and his reply was "It will be CRIMINAL if these two fine performances don't get nominated, and awards" during the next round of Award Presentations. 'Nuff said!

By the way, I see on Amazon that today, June 2nd marks the release of the soundtrack from Bessie. Check it outName:  P1450264.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  72.8 KB. Looks like a real must have!
    I largely, but not completely, agree. The "Liberace" pic had a greater "scandal" attached to it [[2 big male stars with a faux sex scene) that made it easier to sell. Here in the NY area there were quite a few big stories in print media. We may be able to partially answer the "question" right here - I posted this thread on April 30 and there was not one reply until yours, dated June 2 - so if an R&B/Soul forum can't stir up interest in a project like "Bessie", who can? I for one am looking forward to seeing the film when available on DVD [[I don't have HBO) as well as hearing the CD.

I thought "Bessie" was pretty good and gave us more insight on the relationship between Ma Rainy & Bessie Smith.

S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Sister View Post
    I thought "Bessie" was pretty good and gave us more insight on the relationship between Ma Rainy & Bessie Smith.

S.S.
    That was the most interesting part of the movie. It's also telling that the stuff Marlene Dietrich did, Ma Rainey did as well [[probably around the same time, i.e., the early 1920s and such).

Ma & Bessie were openly bisexual when at the time, no one knew how to make of the LGBT community especially during a time when racial tensions were very ugly. True pioneers in the game. I loved how when the Klan tried to stop Bessie's concert, all she had to do was come out with a hammer and they ran off lmao

You had to learn not to step on Bessie's toes or she'd cut ya...

Thanks for those readers of this thread who pointed out some of the reviews I missed. I've watched "Bessie" three times now and it keeps getting better with each subsequent viewing. To do the story full justice, the film could have been twice as long for sure. I for one am glad it ended on a high note, rather than dwell on the sad reality of Bessie's death. A subsequent film biography could delve into that. Hopefully Queen Latifah's interpretations of Bessie Smith's classic recordings will encourage a new appreciation of the original recordings. As I pointed out before, a film soundtrack is now available.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    Thanks for those readers of this thread who pointed out some of the reviews I missed. I've watched "Bessie" three times now and it keeps getting better with each subsequent viewing. To do the story full justice, the film could have been twice as long for sure. I for one am glad it ended on a high note, rather than dwell on the sad reality of Bessie's death. A subsequent film biography could delve into that. Hopefully Queen Latifah's interpretations of Bessie Smith's classic recordings will encourage a new appreciation of the original recordings. As I pointed out before, a film soundtrack is now available.
    And thanks to you for posting! Now I really look forward to seeing and hearing. Depending on your age you may remember an early 70’s interest in Ms. Smith, lead, I believe, by Janis Joplin’s championing. There was a nice series of gatefold double LPs released; I had “Empty Bed Blues”. I actually wrote a high school paper about early recorded blues, and I remember a Smith bio by, I think, Chris Albertson.