[REMOVE ADS]

Gladys Knight in the UK

Sharpmoves has alerted me to a tour by Gladys Knight.

Gladys is performing at the Royal Albert Hall in London but the cost of the seats is more than I want to pay. Johnny Mathis was about £70 but £195 for one ticket and you have to buy 2 is a huge hike.

I see she's also appearing at Southend which is a long way from me but it seems a bit more reasonably priced. Does anyone know where else she is appearing.

http://www.double8tickets.com/concer...s-knight/6360/

Sharpmoves...am I reading this right...you have to buy 2 tickets at £195?

https://southendtheatres.org.uk/online/seatSelect.asp

Al the good seats are sold out here too

Here are the tour dates BFXT - she's coming to Bournemouth! http://www.stubhub.co.uk/gladys-knig...cid=C12289B333

According to that website, there are no seats left in Bournemouth.

But there's 2 in Manchester and 45 in London

Much as I love Gladys this is yet another farewell UK tour! I look forward to the next farewell tour in 2020!

Many of those seats on Bournemouth International Centre [[BIC) website may well be block booked - corporate, etc., and possibly may be released at a later date [[?)

I'm not entirely sure that Gladys is such a draw to sell out all those tickets in Bournemouth, although I'd be really pleased to be wrong.

As much as I'd like to see her, I think the price is too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Much as I love Gladys this is yet another farewell UK tour! I look forward to the next farewell tour in 2020!
    IS that what they are calling it?

Yes Marv2. That is what they are calling it - again!

Yes Marv2. That is what they are calling it - again!
    Amazing! Gladys is not retiring, LOL!!!

So why are they calling it a farewell tour??

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    So why are they calling it a farewell tour??
    $$$$$$ "Is all I can think of for doing that.

I went to her farewell tour 6 years ago at Wembley arena when Tito Jackson was supporting her......

I think it is just a way of conning fans into thinking this will be the last time she tours the UK.
    People with short memories may fall for it. I blame the promoters not Gladys herself.

I think it is just a way of conning fans into thinking this will be the last time she tours the UK.
    People with short memories may fall for it. I blame the promoters not Gladys herself.
    Isnt the UK a good market for these legacy acts? They seem like such dedicated fans. Why would she have to keep doing fawell show tour. In a sense, seems a bit insulting to the fans. Don't get me wrong I like her and the music.

Yes demotownguy the UK seem to love the old legacy acts. I attended the most recent Gladys farewell tour and am attending the forthcoming one as well, and I shall doubtless attend the next round of farewell gigs in 2/3 yrs time!!!

Yes demotownguy the UK seem to love the old legacy acts. I attended the most recent Gladys farewell tour and am attending the forthcoming one as well, and I shall doubtless attend the next round of farewell gigs in 2/3 yrs time!!!
    Gladys still does well at venues in the states and has not promoted any of her tours as farewell.

We also love the legacy acts but it may be true that the UK embraces some of the legacy acts more than we do. Mary Wilson said as much in a recent interview when she said that she stayed away from the American public for a long time and moved to England because Americans are so critical and the British are more loyal to the vintage acts. [[at end of interview about 2:12) But when she came back to the states, she did okay.

surely Gladys knight could change the billing to not say its a farewell tour. Its real real easy to change promotion on the web. I think this is billed like this to sell mores tiockets.

Roberta

supremester Guest
    These prices are from the UK version of Stubhub - they are not original face value. It states that on the site:

Please note: All tickets purchased from double8tickets.com are sold ABOVE face value. This is because we are a broker who deals in Sold-Out events and / or Premium seated tickets i.e. Front Row Tickets, First 10 Row Tickets, Block "A" Tickets, Block "B" Tickets, VIP Block Tickets [[These are sold as ticket only; No T-Shirt, programme or goodie bag!!), Tickets next to VIP Blocks, Front Standing Tickets, Golden Circle Tickets etc..... Tickets for this event approx face value: £85/£75/£65/£55

The artist determines the name and nature of the event - not the promoter. Cher, Tina and others have had multiple farewell tours - why not Gladys? With her pipes at her age, she can do as she pleases as long as she sings more than she brags.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Sharpmoves has alerted me to a tour by Gladys Knight.

Gladys is performing at the Royal Albert Hall in London but the cost of the seats is more than I want to pay. Johnny Mathis was about £70 but £195 for one ticket and you have to buy 2 is a huge hike.

I see she's also appearing at Southend which is a long way from me but it seems a bit more reasonably priced. Does anyone know where else she is appearing.

Roberta75 - Gladys probably doesn't even know it is being promoted as such and even if she does she is probably none too concerned about it if it sells more tickets.

To be fair, the flyer I picked up at the BIC [[Bournemouth International Centre) makes no mention of a farewell tour.

There is an image of Gladys [[I'm not too keen on it, it makes Gladys look like a wax work model; her mouth is smiling, but her eyes seem somewhat dead, and there is something of a female impersonator portraying a 'Bollywood' actress about the whole image ), billed '7 times Grammy Award winner', and the tag line 'Spend an evening in concert with Gladys Knight'. No mention at all of 'farewell', at least on this bit of publicity.

More seats have been released, and I'm not altogether sure if the entire seating area has been available since booking opened. I may drop by and ask how it is going....

It was promoted as yet another farewell tour in the Adverts in the UK press when the dates were announced.

It was promoted as yet another farewell tour in the Adverts in the UK press when the dates were announced.
    thats real deceptive imo.

Roberta

The last time I saw Gladys she only sang one Motown tune.
    I read her autobiography and unbelievably Motown was only mentioned on 2 pages I think.
    She clearly does not look back fondly on her Motown career.
    I wouldn't go to see her again...[[seen her 3 times, and for me the best was in the 70s when most of her show was her Motown output)

laughing!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    The last time I saw Gladys she only sang one Motown tune.
    I read her autobiography and unbelievably Motown was only mentioned on 2 pages I think.
    She clearly does not look back fondly on her Motown career.
    I wouldn't go to see her again...[[seen her 3 times, and for me the best was in the 70s when most of her show was her Motown output)
    That puts me off of seeing her now especially when the ticket prices are so high

She is still a wonderful singer, and has lost very little of her vocal power. I don't really care how the tours are promoted/advertised because I will be there!!