[REMOVE ADS]

Velvelettes become Vandellas

In 1964, Betty Kelly left the Velvelettes to become a Vandella.

Five years later another Velvelette, Sandy Tilley, left the group for the same reason.

Does anyone know what the thought process was in using this group as a "stepping stone" to Martha? Were Millie, Bertha or Norma ever considered during this process of transition?

Over the years, Martha has said that the Vandellas were of her employ, but surely Berry must have had some input?

The Velvelettes in their original incarnation were primarily a family group: two sisters [[Cal and Milly) and two cousins [[Bert and Norma). Only Betty was not related to someone else in the act. Milly, Bert and Norma all quit to rear families, at which time Cal lined up Sandy Tilley and Annette McMillan in order to continue the act. Sandy, of course, was spirited off to the Vandellas as Betty had been and it's my recollection that the Velvelettes went on hiatus after that until they regrouped with the original members [[sans Betty) for Ian Levine and have remained together since then. Thus, I suspect that none of the relatives would have been removed to join the Vandellas.
    Last edited by BigAl; 04-27-2015 at 05:12 PM.

I think they regrouped for an event for Norma's job. Im sure boy from..knows for sure.

They regrouped for a special event that Bertha was asked to attend. A suggestion was made that it would be nice if the Velvelettes of old would make a one-off appearance....and the ladies agreed and enjoyed it so much that it ended up being a few more appearances and thankfully is still continuing.

Betty and Cal were real close as friends and still are.

Do you remember some video where Betty got up and sang with them I think or one of them?I think it was a club in California.

Well remembered. I had to shake my brain to recall that. I should check my archives.

I don't think you could hear Betty's vocal. I think it was in a club with Cal and Bertha...I must check it out again