[REMOVE ADS]

Vandellas Hall of Fame Induction?

This rather shaky footage has appeared on YouTube. It seems to be from Martha Reeves and the Vandellas' induction into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, but I can't be sure. Anyway, it moved me to tears to see Martha, flanked by four Vandellas, Roz, Betty, Annette and Lois, stomping her way through Dancing in the Street. I wonder whether the whole thing is taped somewhere? Hope you enjoy it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt7-I1McsSw
    Last edited by Sharpmoves; 04-25-2015 at 04:31 AM. Reason: forgot to invlude the link!

Great posting Sharpmoves and welcome to SDF

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Great posting Sharpmoves and welcome to SDF
    Thank you. It's a pleasure to be here. Which recording of Boy from Crosstown do you prefer - Marvelettes, or Velvelettes?

LOLOL. Nobody has asked me that before!

My moniker was thought up in the days when I only knew of the existence of the version of the Velvelettes but it hadn't then been released. I wanted to hear their version desperately and that was my way of campaigning for its release. Not sure if it worked but now we have it!

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE all versions from the Marvelettes and Midnight Johnny's extended versions are what I play most often. I rarely play the version from Gladys Knight although I do like that rendition. The song is dedicated to me by the Velvelettes when they sing it on stage and I don't think there is anything more humbling than to hear a dedication from my idols. I should add that there is also a version called The Girl From Crosstown by Edwin Starr which is in the style of his "He Who Picks a Rose".

Out of loyalty, I'd have to say it was the Velvelettes version that I prefer but I find that I play the Marvelettes version more frequently!

How about you?

Well, I had to go and have a quick listen! I'd forgotten Gladys and the boys' version, which is brilliantly sultry. I think the Velvs have more edginess, and the Marvs are smoother, and more polished. I love both, but if I were leaving a sinking ship, I'd probably grab my Velvs version. Never seen them live 'though, nor the Marvelettes. I remember when the only two Velvelettes tracks I had were Bird in the Hand, and Needle in a Haystack [[yeah, yeah, shedoo!). So much has come out since, which is of such good quality.

If you live in the UK, you might have a chance to see them soon.

Hopefully it happens!

Do keep me posted if you get any news. I would love to see them, especially if Brenda Holloway is with them! Yep, I live in the UK.

Martha is in UK off and on from May 2 to Sept 25..www.Missmarthareeves.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpmoves View Post
    This rather shaky footage has appeared on YouTube. It seems to be from Martha Reeves and the Vandellas' induction into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, but I can't be sure. Anyway, it moved me to tears to see Martha, flanked by four Vandellas, Roz, Betty, Annette and Lois, stomping her way through Dancing in the Street. I wonder whether the whole thing is taped somewhere? Hope you enjoy it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt7-I1McsSw
    It is from their induction. They televised the entire ceremony [[which is one of the first time they did that) on VH-1. It was held at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC.

I remember being very disappointed in the telecast. I think I might have even written an email to the Hall of Fame. Most of the other artists inducted that year received lengthy tributes that aired in their entirety. I thought it very unfair to reduce the Vandellas' segment to five minutes or less. On the plus side, it was nice to see all of the surviving Vandellas being honored, albeit briefly.

supremester Guest
    Thanks so much for posting this - I've never seen it. I agree Martha & The Vandellas deserved the same treatment as everyone else. Love that all Vandellas were invited - as opposed to the slap in the face Cindy got.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Thanks so much for posting this - I've never seen it. I agree Martha & The Vandellas deserved the same treatment as everyone else. Love that all Vandellas were invited - as opposed to the slap in the face Cindy got.

She wasn't slapped any harder than Jean!

supremester Guest
    Well darlin', Cindy WAS there first, she was there twice as long, she was there when the group had 3 of their biggest platinum singles, top selling albums, TV specials and arena filling concerts. Jean was there after all that. Most people consider The Supremes with Diana Ross as "THE" Supremes and those songs remain their biggest, most remembered and why their work keeps being repackaged and resold while sales for the Rossless Supremes tunes' - wonderful as many certainly were, ...........well, you know. So I definitely think Cindy's slap is much, much harder.
    If you are merely stating you think Jean deserved to be there as well, I agree that she should have if all 70's Supremes were going to be - most definitely I'd be for that. Either DMFC, or ALL Supremes - but to exclude Cindy was, to me just plain rude - especially when Tempts & Vandellas galore were allowed. Personally, I wish all had been there. A wish, I might add, that your good friend Mary did not share.
    Last edited by supremester; 04-26-2015 at 03:43 AM.

That's not all true, supremester. Having worked at the Rock Hall and talked about this with those involved in the voting process, an artist/group member doesn't have a vote on who gets inducted especially when it comes to their group. Mary did want it to be just her, Diana and Florence, but Mary did not have the final say contrary to what many believe. The buck stops with the Rock Hall [[it is their institution and their rules) and they make the decision on who gets included. There have been several groups where members were excluded especially those who were around during a group's golden era. A great example are the Four Seasons...the original four were inducted, but the Rock Hall overlooked Joe Long, who was on more hits than Nick Massi yet he wasn't included. As far as I know there were no gripes against him from other members. The same can be said for Smokey Robinson being inducted in 1987. They were including his work with the Miracles, but you didn't hear Smokey having the final say. The Supremes clearly had influence with Cindy on board, but the hit streaks occurred with Florence. It's possible the Rock Hall looked at that period and decided to only include the originals. Mary's influence could have present, but she didn't have the final say and the blame shouldn't be placed on her.

supremester Guest
    Brad, I didn't say she did and didn't blame anything on her.

Just like everything else Supreme, this stuff matters and is blown out of proportion ~ but only because one of them became a movie star and did Central Park and the Superbowl, etc. etc. In much of the world's eyes, the Rock Hall is irrelevant anyway as are the Supremes.

Very nice thread indeed about Martha, and welcome to SDF, Sharpmoves.

Are you attending any of her upcoming UK dates?

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Very nice thread indeed about Martha, and welcome to SDF, Sharpmoves.

Are you attending any of her upcoming UK dates?
    Thanks again! I last saw her with Lois and Delphine at the Jazz Cafe in London in 2008. They were magnificent. Since then, I have moved out to the far-flung countryside, and haven't seen them again. I may venture out this time though. First saw them in 1971......three young goddesses all clad in white. Unforgettable.

Meanwhile, back in Crosstown... I prefer the Gladys version, simply because it was the one I heard first when I bought the Feelin' Bluesy album [[a fine, fine album BTW, which makes for one of the best-ever twofer CDs teamed with Everybody Needs Love)

Sharpmoves, would that have been when Martha, Lois & Sandy opened for Stevie Wonder on his UK tour...? I seem to remember white dresses being worn.

Sharpmoves, would that have been when Martha, Lois & Sandy opened for Stevie Wonder on his UK tour...? I seem to remember white dresses being worn.
    Absolutely right! I was front row, centre, staring straight up at Lois, with Sandy to the left, and Martha to the right. There's a picture in Martha's book of the three of them in those gowns. They were lightly trimmed with rhinestones round the neckline, and split each side to the thigh. After the show, I and others waited outside and met all three of them heading for the tour coach. They each signed my [[then) brand new copy of Natural Resources. What a night! Here is a copy of the flier for that concert. Name:  Image [[3).jpg
Views: 328
Size:  95.4 KB
    Last edited by Sharpmoves; 04-27-2015 at 10:45 AM.

My eyes might deceive me, but I don't see Annette in this video? I see Roz with Betty and Lois, but no Nettie?

Am also wondering: was Sandy mentioned during the induction at all? Either by Martha or Lois?

Sharpmoves, I'll have to dig out my treasure box, both to see if I have a programme - and to check if my memory is failing me [[!), but I'm sure I saw the show at Southampton Gaumont [[now The Mayflower).

I have lived in Bournemouth since 1979 and, over time, the Winter Gardens has made way for the Bournemouth International Centre. We still have The Pavilion, where Martha regularly appears. March of last year was the most recent [[with Lois And Delphine), and there should be a thread in the archives which includes my review of that show.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 04-27-2015 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    My eyes might deceive me, but I don't see Annette in this video? I see Roz with Betty and Lois, but no Nettie?

Am also wondering: was Sandy mentioned during the induction at all? Either by Martha or Lois?
    Netty is there - glimpsed right near the end, saying thank you. Blink and you'll miss it. I don't know about what Martha or Lois actually said. I imagine they would have mentioned Sandy, though.

Sharpmoves, I'll have to dig out my treasure box, both to see if I have a programme - and to check if my memory is failing me [[!), but I'm sure I saw the show at Southampton Gaumont [[now The Mayflower).

I have lived in Bournemouth since 1979 and, over time, the Winter Gardens has made way for the Bournemouth International Centre. We still have The Pavilion, where Martha regularly appears. March of last year was the most recent [[with Lois And Delphine), and there should be a thread in the archives which includes my review of that show.
    I saw the Four Tops the first time at the Southampton Gaumont. Then, at the Winter Gardens, aside from MR&TVs and Stevie, the Temps, the Supremes [[with Jean), Gladys and the Pips, the Four Tops again, Rufus and Carla Thomas. It was quite a venue. I'm sad they pulled it down. There's a Facebook page, as you probably know. I lived near Highcliffe from 1968 to 1973.

supremester Guest
    I am so jealous of you luckies who saw MR&TV - I've seen Martha solo many times, but they broke up before she ever got to Portland. Do you remember anything about their set list? I think Natural Resources was their best LP to date and wonder what they did from it. This was before Black Magic, of course.

Absolutely right! I was front row, centre, staring straight up at Lois, with Sandy to the left, and Martha to the right. There's a picture in Martha's book of the three of them in those gowns. They were lightly trimmed with rhinestones round the neckline, and split each side to the thigh. After the show, I and others waited outside and met all three of them heading for the tour coach. They each signed my [[then) brand new copy of Natural Resources. What a night! Here is a copy of the flier for that concert. Name:  Image [[3).jpg

Interesting that a photo of Roz would be used in this flier [[1971) when she had left the group in 1969.

Over the years I've seen many articles and cover stories regarding lineup changes in the Supremes; was there much hubbub [[in print, or otherwise) when Betty was replaced with Lois, or when Roz was replaced with Sandy?

What is the real truth in why Roz was fired? I heard Roz said she was basically given the pink slip, yet I heard Martha blame Roz for getting her hooked on drugs?? It seems so odd about what happened. Without Roz, I feel it wasn't the Vandellas.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

I believe that is Annette at 3:05. Interestingly, although it is playing in the background, Annette didn't sing on Dancing In The Street, it was Betty's first session with the Vandellas and she was accompanied to the studio by her best friend Cal Street. Cal waited outside the studio.

I seem to recall reading an article in which Martha specifically sad that she credited Sandy at th eInduction Ceremony.

Very nice....

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    What is the real truth in why Roz was fired? I heard Roz said she was basically given the pink slip, yet I heard Martha blame Roz for getting her hooked on drugs?? It seems so odd about what happened. Without Roz, I feel it wasn't the Vandellas.
    You'd probably have to get them both in the same room to get the real deal, and it has been so long that details would still probably be left out or forgotten.

In her book, Martha wrote that she asked Roz to "find something else to do with her life" after Rosalind began singing different harmony notes onstage and doing different patter, which threw Martha off. Rosalind says that she was called to the Motown offices and was told that Martha no longer wanted to sing with her, but that she was never able to talk to Martha about it, as Martha was ill. Martha also wrote that Rosalind sued her and was given some money.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I am so jealous of you luckies who saw MR&TV - I've seen Martha solo many times, but they broke up before she ever got to Portland. Do you remember anything about their set list? I think Natural Resources was their best LP to date and wonder what they did from it. This was before Black Magic, of course.
    They opened with Something, and the set included many of their hits - Jimmy Mack, Nowhere to Run, Heatwave, Forget me Not. It ended, obviously, with Dancing in the Street. There was more, but it's now a bit of a blur! No Black Magic yet, you're right. At the end of Stevie's set, MR&TV came back on for a grand finale, and Stevie gave Martha such a big hug, there was clearly loads of mutual affection and respect. Natural Resources was a very mature album, but there was no promotion, and no single [[I think) lifted from it. To British ears, Easily Persuaded is crying out to be THE single from this album. And I Should Be Proud would have probably been banned and gone to No 1. Glad you enjoyed the post.

I particularly remember 'My Baby Loves Me' with Lois and Sandy making lovely, expansive sweeping gestures in the air with their arms.

And Lois and Sandy leaving the stage for Martha to perform her solo of 'Didn't We' - the vibrato in her voice was quite prominent even in those days, and that final note was sublime.....

More, if memory allows.....