[REMOVE ADS]

Philadelphia Int'l Records building demolished

The Philadelphia International Records Building on South Broad Street in Philadelphia was demolished this past weekend to make room for a high rise building. This was the former location of the Cameo-Parkway Records fame.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/....html#comments

The article states that Michael Jackson recorded at this studio which I was unaware of. Does anyone know which of his recordings were recorded there?

You are absolutely correct. Thanks for determining which one.

Incorrect. That Jacksons album, as all of the PIR music, was recorded at Sigma Sound, founded, formerly owned and operated by recording engineer Joe Tarsia, was located on North 12 Street. Look at your liner notes, people. Sigma Sound, according to Wiki, had been sold for office space, but has not been confirmed, and the website is still up, and the place apparently still open for business.

That building that was demolished was just the offices of PIR, and Cameo-Parkway before that.

The master recordings for PIR were mastered at Frankford/Wayne.
    Last edited by soulster; 04-20-2015 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Wasnt it this album
    Actually, after leaving Motown, the newly-named Jacksons’ first two Epic albums were recorded at Sigma Sound Studios:

"The Jacksons" [[1976)
    http://www.amazon.com/Jacksons-JACKS...ords=jackson+5

and

"Goin’ Places"[[1977)
    http://www.amazon.com/Goin-Places-Ja...goin%27+places
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 04-20-2015 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Incorrect. That Jacksons album, as all of the PIR music, was recorded at Sigma Sound, founded, formerly owned and operated by recording engineer Joe Tarsia, was located on North 12 Street. Look at your liner notes, people. Sigma Sound, according to Wiki, had been sold for office space, but has not been confirmed, and the website is still up, and the place apparently still open for business.

That building that was demolished was just the offices of PIR, and Cameo-Parkway before that.

The master recordings for PIR were mastered at Frankford/Wayne.
    Interesting information.

If I recall, wasn't the building on fire?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    If I recall, wasn't the building on fire?
    Correct. The piece says it was arson.
    Last edited by sansradio; 04-21-2015 at 08:56 AM.

Too bad the building is no more. I remember visiting my beloved hometown about 5 years ago and being at the building on a Saturday afternoon in the summer and it was closed, though there was a sign that said it should have been open.

Quote Originally Posted by motown4ever View Post
    Too bad the building is no more. I remember visiting my beloved hometown about 5 years ago and being at the building on a Saturday afternoon in the summer and it was closed, though there was a sign that said it should have been open.
    I hear ya loud and clear, motown4ever. That had to be a really sad moment for you. Between that and Sigma Sound Studio, let's hope that Motown's Hitsville, U.S.A. building never suffers the same horrible fate -- all for the sake of "progress". Simply unthinkable!