[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Mondays Live At The Roostertail.

I know that this subject has been discussed before but I would like to know more detail.
    11th Sept. 1966: Four Tops /Earl Van Dyke / ?? Billy Eckstine ??
    18th Sept. 1966: Miracles / Earl Van Dyke / Tammi Terrell.
    25th Sept. 1966: Supremes / Earl Van Dyke / ??
    3rd Oct. 1966: Temptations / Earl Van Dyke / Chris Clark.
    ?? Sept. 1966: Jr. Walker & the All Stars / Earl Van Dyke / Velvelettes.
    ?? Oct. 1966: Martha & the Vandellas / Earl Van Dyke ?? / ??
    ?? Oct. 1966: Marvin Gaye / ?? Earl Van Dyke ?? / Spinners ??
    ?? Oct. 1966: Marvelettes / Earl Van Dyke ?? / ??
    Does anybody have any relevant information or corrections?
    I believe that Stevie Wonder could have been involved.

The Contours and the Monitors did Motown Mondays stints too.

Thanks Marv! Do you know who they supported?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Thanks Marv! Do you know who they supported?
    I'm sorry I don't........yet!

Roger

I recall a recording of Jimmy Ruffin appearing with the Marvelettes.

Wouldn't it be nice to get a box set of the Motown Monday shows? Brenda Holloway appeared as well. I'll have to dig up the info.

Thank you Marv for the Monitors and Contours,and thanks John for Jimmy Ruffin.
    A very interesting clip Reese with the dates given for all the show. However the dates don`t correspond to the dates given on the released shows.That is that the Supremes and Marvin Gaye both appeared on 26th. Sept. 1966! The Four Tops 11th Sept. 1966 [[Fourever), their promo gives the date at 22nd. August 1966. The Jr. Walker set gives Sept. 1966 and the promo says 29th. August 1966.I will get to the bottom of this!
    I just hope that these shows have survived and that we may get to taste them soon.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Reese thank you for that great short clip on the Roostertail. That place has a lot of history attached to it and would make an excellent documentary for the Detroit's local PBS station. A great piece on local history could be done.

Do any of the Supremes fans know who else was on the bill for their Roostertail gig?

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Do any of the Supremes fans know who else was on the bill for their Roostertail gig?
    From the "I Hear A Symphony" LP thread. A quote from G. Solomon:

"I don't have the Temptations info but Earl Van Dyke and then Willie Tyler and Lester opened for the Supremes."

RossHolloway Guest
    I'm surprised that neither the Isley Brothers or Brenda Holloway were a part of the summer series.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    From the "I Hear A Symphony" LP thread. A quote from G. Solomon:

"I don't have the Temptations info but Earl Van Dyke and then Willie Tyler and Lester opened for the Supremes."
    Many thanks Ross, I would never have guessed Willie Tyler. It`s all coming together.
    Oh wouldn`t some live Brenda and Isley Brothers tracks go down a treat.

I too would love to hear Motown Monday Live.

Roger....I just thought of something that Cal told me about the Velvelettes performance with Junior Walker in 1966

Cal said that Berry's son was there as it was his birthday present as he loved....Jr Walker! LOLOL

BTW, the Velvelettes sung Volare that night.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Roger....I just thought of something that Cal told me about the Velvelettes performance with Junior Walker in 1966

Cal said that Berry's son was there as it was his birthday present as he loved....Jr Walker! LOLOL

BTW, the Velvelettes sung Volare that night.
    Many thanks John for this. Do you know why the Velvelettes sang so many covers and not their own songs as in their Greystone Ballroom live release which I really like.
    We recently had one of Berry`s boys down under appearing on one of those awful "Got Talent" shows but he disappeared before I had a chance to meet him.

I'll ask Cal why but they did also sing one of their hits.

By the way, Cal sald that Berry's son was maybe 10 years old!

I was doing some research in this area and found this site: http://theconcertdatabase.com/venues/roostertail

It seems incomplete - the Supremes' appearance that's preserved on "I Hear A Symphony - Expanded Edition", from 26 Sept 1966, is not shown, for instance. But it may help others looking into the history of Motown Mondays.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    I was doing some research in this area and found this site: http://theconcertdatabase.com/venues/roostertail

It seems incomplete - the Supremes' appearance that's preserved on "I Hear A Symphony - Expanded Edition", from 26 Sept 1966, is not shown, for instance. But it may help others looking into the history of Motown Mondays.
    Research? Fingers crossed that this research is for a Live Motown Monday box set!

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Research? Fingers crossed that this research is for a Live Motown Monday box set!
    This would be awesome!! I would definitely buy it.

Daft of me not to realise people might draw that conclusion - NO, I was just checking some stuff for the DFTMC website. Honest.

I never seem to get much enthusiasm for live Motown stuff from the powers that be. Maybe reaction to "Live In Paris" may change some minds ...

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Daft of me not to realise people might draw that conclusion - NO, I was just checking some stuff for the DFTMC website. Honest.

I never seem to get much enthusiasm for live Motown stuff from the powers that be. Maybe reaction to "Live In Paris" may change some minds ...
    It's disappointing to hear there isn't much enthusiasm for Live material. I'm still holding out hope that Brenda Holloway's live set from MM and a live set recorded in LA might still find the light of day. I can only imagine all the Live stuff that we fan have absolutely no idea is collecting dust in the UM vault!

Hi,
    How many years did Motown have their Motown Monday concerts at the Roostertail in Detroit?Does anyone recall if any shows had been filmed besides being recorded?

I believe the Velevelettes live show at the Roostertail was recorded. Correct me if I'm wrong, theboyfromxtown.

You're not wrong Brad.

lol

RossHolloway Guest
    It would be incredible to have a collection of just the opening acts put out on cd or digitally. And I thought I read where Brenda Holloway opened for the Temptations.