[REMOVE ADS]

Jr. Walker & The All Stars - I'll Go Where Your Music Takes Me

I stumbled upon this remake of IGWYMTM by Jr. on YT. Never knew he had recorded a version of this song which was released in 1989 on Washington Hit Makers, a Washington, DC label. My man Jr. is just blowing away on that sax. Yeah!!

The tune was originally recorded by Jimmy James & The Vagabonds in 1976, which is one of my favorite disco songs.

Enjoy, folks!

When when when are we going to see a proper catalog of Jr. Walker released? Aside from the singles set "Nothing But Soul" [[I think it was called) his discography has been woefully inadequate for the great body of work he produced.

I've always wondered if the fact that he recorded for Motown meant he was overlooked as a jazz performer.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    When when when are we going to see a proper catalog of Jr. Walker released? Aside from the singles set "Nothing But Soul" [[I think it was called) his discography has been woefully inadequate for the great body of work he produced
    I totally agree. Several of his studio albums have never been released digitally [[on cd or as a download) at all.

Wow! That is an amazing song from Jr. for 1989. Never heard this one before. I always hated the fact that he always seemed to be overlooked but he wasn't by me. Loved his music since I was a kid. Thanks for posting this.

Looks like this was a very late 80's release on The WASHINGTON HIT MAKERS label of which I know very little about but I agree it's very nice

Nice find. Good overall feel and sound but a long way from being Junior's finest vocal performance sadly. Probably just me though.

As far as I am aware, essentially Junior's first tranche of Motown albums have all seen CD release up to Soul 721 [[the CD being entitled "Gotta Hold On To This Feeling") but "Soul Session" only saw release as part of the UK 2fer series of 2001.

Soul 701 – Shotgun [[1965)
    Soul 702 – Soul Session [[1966)
    Soul 703 – Road Runner [[1966)
    Soul 705 – "Live" [[1967)
    Soul 710 – Home Cookin' [[1969)
    Soul 718 – Greatest Hits [[1969)
    Soul 721 – Gotta Hold on to This Feeling [[1969)

What has happened to CD releases of his 70s albums and beyond? Must be some technical reason perhaps. Possible I have missed some though and would welcome any omissions. "Nothing But Soul" is a great collection of his singles work.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    What has happened to CD releases of his 70s albums and beyond? Must be some technical reason perhaps. Possible I have missed some though and would welcome any omissions. "Nothing But Soul" is a great collection of his singles work.
    The "Live" album that appeared on cd was the 1970 LP, with the cover of the 1967 Live LP used by mistake [[!). The 1967 Live LP has not [[as far as I know) been released on cd.

The cd I'm missing from that list is "Gotta Hold Onto This Feeling". I'd love to have it for the stereo versions of some songs, but used copies are just too expensive. I hope this will be released as a [[lossless) download soon.

Yes, there are about 10 [[depending on how one counts them) Motown studio albums by Jr Walker released after 1969 which have never been released digitally! Harry has said for years that he'd like to make the entire Motown catalogue of Jr Walker available. He once wrote in this forum [[though I can't find it now) that he didn't know how best to approach this because many titles - the ones you list above - had already appeared on cd.

Perhaps these are something for FunkyTownGrooves or SoulMusic? Or they could be released as downloads, as the Smokey Robinson & The Miracles LPs were [[Pocketfull of Miracles, One Dozen Roses, Flying High Together)?
    Last edited by calvin; 04-12-2015 at 08:24 AM.

I would love to see FunkyTownGrooves remaster some of Jr Walkers albums but i am not sure there is a big enough market for them in 2015? I would love to be proven wrong but he never seems to have got the plaudits due to him, and i am probably just as guilty as anyone else in this instance. Whenever i list off my fav motown artists i tend to overlook Mr Walker without even realising it. Not good. We must do better. In the meantime i shall e-mail FunkyTownGrooves with the suggestion.
    Not sure about Soulmusic.com though. They appear to be cutting back on releasing product. The only recent one to my knowledge was Thelma's awyli, and the only forthcoming release seems to be Zulema which is basically a straight reissue of David Nathan's 1990's compilation with one added bonus track. Hope they are not giving up on the cd's!

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    The "Live" album that appeared on cd was the 1970 LP, with the cover of the 1967 Live LP used by mistake [[!). The 1967 Live LP has not [[as far as I know) been released on cd.
    Is that really true? Ironically, I just recently found a copy of "Live" and I never noticed...I thought it was the correct content. As I recall, the first track has the Velvelettes doing a vocal intro. Was that from the 1970 LP? Of course, I can't find it just now to check and see what songs are on it.

Is that really true? Ironically, I just recently found a copy of "Live" and I never noticed...I thought it was the correct content. As I recall, the first track has the Velvelettes doing a vocal intro. Was that from the 1970 LP? Of course, I can't find it just now to check and see what songs are on it.
    Yes, the Velvelettes do the intro on the 1967 LP, but not on the CD - at least not on mine [[MOTD-5465). The front cover of the cd has the same picture as the 1967 "Live" LP, but the content is that of the 1970 "Live" LP.

Someone has posted images on Amazon of the cd front, back [[with track list) and the disc [[also with track list):
    http://www.amazon.com/Jr-Walker-All-...jr+walker+live

Compare the cover picture and track list to those of the 1967 and 1970 "Live" LPs:
    http://www.discogs.com/Jr-Walker-The.../master/209781
    http://www.discogs.com/Jr-Walker-The...elease/1531708

I can't rule out that the 1967 LP was also issued on cd, as strange things did happen with some of these early Motown cd releases, but my cd is just like the one on Amazon. If anyone's cd has the contents of the 1967 LP, please let us know!
    Last edited by calvin; 04-12-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Calvin, I will dig mine out and let you know what's on it! Thanks for the info.

thomas96 Guest
    I've always wondered if the fact that he recorded for Motown meant he was overlooked as a jazz performer.
    I think because of his reputation as a soul singer/sax player he wasn't given the credit he deserves in jazz circles. He had a much different style of playing than a guy like Coltrane, Rollins or Getz, but he was every bit as good. He wasn't really a "jazz performer" though.

Wow! I've never heard that track before. It's really pretty. Jr. Walker's "IGWYMTM" sounds very reminiscent of a Johnny Bristol-type production. Thanks for the heads up on this great mid-tempo dance tune. I'll have to check-out Jimmy James & The Vagabonds' version.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Wow! I've never heard that track before. It's really pretty. Jr. Walker's "IGWYMTM" sounds very reminiscent of a Johnny Bristol-type production. Thanks for the heads up on this great mid-tempo dance tune. I'll have to check-out Jimmy James & The Vagabonds' version.
    Hello Gary you won't be disapointed Jimmy James version is one of the best party songs here still gets played top 10 in uk, Tina Charles also hit a year later with the song,you will enjoy,there is- was a double cd of JJATV COLLECTION A FEW YEARS AGO i think you will love it.also try his A man like me-hungry for love cuts ,cheers.

Great song - always nice to hear something different by Jr. Walker.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Hello Gary you won't be disapointed Jimmy James version is one of the best party songs here still gets played top 10 in uk, Tina Charles also hit a year later with the song,you will enjoy,there is- was a double cd of JJATV COLLECTION A FEW YEARS AGO i think you will love it.also try his A man like me-hungry for love cuts ,cheers.
    Thanks, honest man. I checked out both Jimmy James & The Vagabonds’ AND Tina Charles’ versions. Love ‘em both! For the benefit of those who have never heard these versions of "I’ll Go Where Your Music Takes Me", get educated now!

Jimmy James & The Vagabonds [[posted by MrPurser):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-TT6AEP5Ss

And for the girl-group version [[my personal favorite), Tina Charles: [[posted by MrPurser):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YaaR3jEev8

Thanks again, honest man [[and noplacelikemotown). This is why I love SDF & the Motown Forum. Somehow, even after all these years of collecting Disco music, this song had completely gotten past me. Thanks to you [[and Amazon), Jimmy James’ and Tina Charles’ versions have been ordered and are on their way! [[I tried to order Jr. Walker’s version as well, but it’s only available on vinyl.) - Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 04-13-2015 at 01:50 PM.